An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
19 CANON PYON (A.c.)
a(1). Parish Church of St. Lawrence (Plate 108) stands on the W. border of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings and ashlar of the same material; the roofs are tiled. There is no definite evidence of earlier work in the church than the N. arcade of the Nave, built about the middle of the 13th century; the S. arcade and South Aisle were built in the second half of the same century, and c. 1300–20 the North Chapel was added, with an arch opening into the Chancel. The rest of the chancel was largely, if not entirely, re-built late in the 14th or early in the 15th century and a small vestry, now destroyed, was added on the N. side. The South Tower was added late in the 14th century, and the North Aisle re-built and widened in the 15th century. Probably in the 15th or early in the 16th century three arches were built across the S. aisle to support the S. arcade. The chancel was restored in 1865, and the church generally in 1870.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (33¾ ft. by 23 ft.) has a late 14th or early 15th-century E. window of three trefoiled lights in a four-centred head; there is an old gable-cross. In the N. wall is an arch of c. 1300–10, two-centred and of two orders, the inner chamfered and the outer moulded and with a moulded label; the E. respond is of the 13th century, re-set when the arch was built; it has a half-round attached shaft with moulded base and capital carved with 'stiff-leaf' foliage; the column forming the W. support is of the same date as the arch and is cylindrical with moulded capital and base; towards the E. end of the wall is a late 14th or early 15th-century doorway, now blocked, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head and formerly opening to the vestry; further E. on the external face are two straight joints, probably the jambs of a former locker. In the S. wall are two late 14th or early 15th-century windows, each of two trefoiled lights in a four-centred head; between them is a doorway, of the same date, with moulded jambs and two-centred head. There is no chancel-arch.
The North Chapel (22 ft. by 14 ft.) has an E. window of c. 1300–10, and of three plain pointed lights in a two-centred head with a moulded label. In the N. wall are two windows of c. 1300–10, the eastern of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil above; the western window is a single trefoiled light.
The Nave (49½ ft. by 22¼ ft.) has a mid 13th-century N. arcade of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, except on the S. face where the outer order and the label are moulded; the cylindrical columns have moulded bases and capitals (Plate 16) carved with 'stiff-leaf' foliage; the W. respond has an attached half-column; the W. arch is distorted like the corresponding arch on the S.; at the E. end is the later column already described. The rather later S. arcade (Plate 109) is also of four bays with arches similar to those of the N. arcade; the cylindrical columns have moulded bases and capitals, and the responds have attached half-columns; the arcade leans heavily towards the S. Above the S. arcade is a clearstorey with four windows each of a plain square-headed light. The partly restored late 15th-century W. window is of four trefoiled lights in a four-centred head; the 14th-century W. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred head with a decayed label.
The South Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has an E. window probably all modern; below it are straight joints perhaps of a former opening. In the S. wall are two windows all modern except for some jamb-stones. In the W. wall is a 14th-century window of one trefoiled light. The three half-arches across the aisle are probably of the 15th century, and are each of two chamfered orders.
The South Tower (10½ ft. square) is of late 14th-century date and of four stages with an embattled parapet. The ground-stage forms a porch and has an outer or S. doorway with jambs and two-centred arch of three orders, the outer moulded and the two inner chamfered. The inner or N. doorway has jambs and two-centred arch of two chamfered orders. The second stage has, in the E. and S. walls, a window of one ogee-headed light; in the W. wall is a rectangular loop. The third stage has no openings. The bell-chamber has, in the E. and S. walls, a window of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil under a moulded two-centred label; in the N. and W. walls is a single-light window, formerly trefoiled.
The Roof of the N. chapel and aisle is probably of the 15th century and is of trussed-rafter type, with four added tie-beams; the N. side of the N. chapel has a 14th-century moulded wall-plate with ball-flower ornament. The ground-stage of the tower has 16th or 17th-century moulded ceiling-beams and a bell-way.
Fittings—Brackets: In chancel—on N. and S. walls, corbel-brackets, possibly connected with the lentenveil. Brass Indents: In churchyard—E. of S. aisle, two fragments with canopies and shields-of-arms. Font (Plate 55): octagonal bowl with moulded under edge and moulded rim with band of quatrefoils, moulded base, 15th-century; cylindrical stem made up with section carved with conventional ornament, perhaps 12th or 13th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In nave—(1) slab with indents of figures of man in civil dress and wife, under double canopy with shields at feet and marginal inscription, indents formerly inlaid with light coloured stone in small sections, now only remaining in shafts and man's right foot, late 14th or early 15th-century, head of slab missing. In churchyard—S. of chancel, (2) to Susanna Hill, 1714, slab. Floor-slabs: In N. chapel—(1) . . . (Barrow) wife of Herbert Perrott, 1675–6; (2) to John Covile, 1697–8, with shield-of-arms. Piscinæ: In chancel— recess with moulded jambs and trefoiled head, octofoiled drain projecting on head-corbel, 14th-century. In N. chapel—in S. wall, recess with chamfered jambs and trefoiled head, quatre-foiled drain, early 14th-century. Scratchings: On two doorways of tower— masons' marks, 14th-century. Screen: between chancel and nave—with central doorway and eight bays on each side, with close lower and open upper panels with trefoiled and traceried heads (Plate 70), moulded rails and mullions, middle rail with band of foliage-carving and head-beam with fascia carved with vine-ornament, doorway with doors having traceried heads similar to side bays, 15th-century much restored and most of traceried heads modern. Seating: In S. aisle—six shaped bench-ends, probably 16th-century. Stalls (Plate 110): In chancel—on each side, range of four stalls with shaped and moulded arms and elbow-rests carved with half-angels, misericordes carved as follows —N. side, (a) a chained antelope, carved masks at sides; (b) four roses, leaves at sides; (c) half-angel with blank shield, leaves at sides; (d) fox and geese, roses at sides; S. side, (a) pelican in her piety, flowers at sides; (b) Catherine wheel, flowers at sides; (c) dwarf with mouth open, leaves at sides; (d) bird, leaves at sides; front row of stalls on each side modern but incorporating old material and parts of a stall on N. and one old stall and misericorde on S., with two lions fighting and roses at the sides; incorporated in modern desks, two standards with popey-heads (Plate 76) carved with (a) figures of bishops back to back and supported by beasts, and (b) figures back to back holding blank shields and likewise supported by beasts, all 15th-century.
a(3). Barn, at Court Farm, N. of the church, is a long building of brick and some timber-framing. It is of late 17th-century date and has three ranges of looplights. The roof is covered mainly with corrugated iron.
a(4). Great House and outbuilding, 250 yards E. of the church. The House is of mid to late 18th-century date, but the garden gate (Plate 37) is of early 18th-century date and has pineapple-terminals; the gate is of ornamental wrought-iron work with elaborate scrolled standards and overthrow.
a(5). Lawton's Hope, house and outbuildings, about 1½ m. E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and with slate-covered roofs. It was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and is rectangular on plan with a later extension on the N.E. The timber-framing is exposed and there are two gables on the S.E. side. The main roof is hipped at the W. angle. The original windows were apparently fitted with solid frames, mullion and transom, and some of these, now blocked, remain. Inside the building, some of the ceiling-beams are exposed, one being supported on a moulded bracket. On the first floor are a panelled door and a fireplace with a moulded surround. The original staircase has heavy turned balusters, moulded strings and square newels with shaped pendants.
The Barn, W.N.W. of the house, is timber-framed but partly refaced in stone. It is of late 17th-century date. The two-storeyed cow-houses, N. of the house, are of stone and timber-framing and of the same period.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled or slate-covered roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
a(11). Kinford Farm, house and outbuildings, 1 m. E.N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars and attics and is of H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the N.E. and S.W. ends. The N.E. wing is of early 17th-century date, and the rest of the building was added or re-built late in the same century. The ground storey has been largely refaced in brick and stone. On the S.E. front the original wing has a moulded bressummer at the first-floor level and at the attic-floor level are moulded wall-plates on shaped brackets with leaf-ornament. On the N.W. elevation there are also shaped brackets to the wall-plates, and on the return wall of the original wing is a shaped and enriched bracket. Inside the building, the original wing has moulded ceiling-beams, and on the upper floor are shaped wall-posts.
b(14). Upper Derndale, house and barns, nearly 1½ m. E.S.E. of the church. The House was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century. The Barns, W. of the house, are weather-boarded and of four and five bays respectively.
b(16). Great Nupton, house, 1,020 yards S.S.E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics. It is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and E. and with modern additions at the back. The N. end is of early 18th-century brick and has windows of that date, with solid frames, mullions and transoms. Inside the building are some original moulded ceiling-beams. The granary on the first floor has an original stone fireplace with chamfered jambs and shouldered lintel.
b(17). Nupton, house and outbuildings, 170 yards W. of (16). The House is modern except for the block at the W. end. The Outbuilding, N. of the house, has a corrugated iron roof. To the W. of the farmyard is a weather-boarded barn.