An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
22 COLLINGTON (D.a.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands near the middle of the parish. It was built in 1856 on a new site, the old church having stood on the E. side of the the parish. It contains, from the old church, the following:—
Fittings—Bell: one, inaccessible. Font (Plate 53): octagonal tapering bowl with a shallow pointed arch on each face and shafts at the angles, moulded base, 13th-century. Plate: includes cup (Plate 69) and cover-paten of 1570, the cup with band of engraved ornament and the paten with the date 1571 on the handle.
(3). Underhill, house S. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of timber-framing and brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century, but was partly re-faced in brick in the 18th century and has modern additions on the N. and W. Some of the timber-framing and ceiling-beams are exposed.
(4). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 350 yards N. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with a slate-covered roof. It was built in the 17th century but was heightened early in the 18th century. The timber-framing is exposed.
(5). Tynings, house, nearly ¾ m. N.N.W. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 17th century and has exposed timber-framing.
(6). Cwmwood Farm (Plate 29), house, 1,600 yards N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century and has exposed external framing and internal ceiling-beams.