An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 2, East. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1932.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
5 AYLTON (D.d.)
(1). Parish Church (dedication unknown), stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are tiled. The Nave was built probably early in the 12th century, and has unusually thick side walls. The Chancel, except perhaps the N. wall, was re-built in the 14th century, and the W. wall of the nave has been re-built at some uncertain period. The South Porch was built in 1654, but has been reconstructed with the old materials in the 18th or 19th century.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (15½ ft. by 16½ ft.) has an early 14th-century E. window of two ogee-headed lights. In the N. wall is a patch perhaps representing a destroyed window. In the S. wall is a window of one plain square-headed light with the lower part filled in.
The Nave (25 ft. by 15½ ft.) is structurally undivided from the chancel. In the N. wall is an early 12th-century window of one small round-headed light. In the S. wall is a window of two plain square-headed lights; the 18th-century or later S. doorway has a two-centred head. In the W. wall is a single-light window, all modern externally. The square bell-turret, over the W. end of the nave, is probably of the 16th century or later and has diagonal struts in the sides; much of the timber, however, is modern.
The South Porch is of timber and has an outer entrance archway formed by modern brick piers and the tie-beam, above which are curved struts; on the face is a much perished shield inscribed 1654 (?) M. (or R ?) I., C.W. The sides are open and have each four symmetrically turned balusters standing on modern brick walls.
The Roof of the chancel is of barrel form, ceiled on the soffit, and the truss above the screen is filled in with wattle and daub. The 15th-century or earlier roof of the nave is of trussed-rafter type with one 16th or 17th-century tie-beam.
Fittings—Bells: two, 1st uninscribed, perhaps 14th-century; 2nd by John Finch, 1639. Bracket: On E. wall, plain corbel-bracket. Communion Table: with turned legs and moulded top rails, 17th-century. Communion Rails: with turned posts and balusters and moulded rails, late 17th or early 18th-century. Font: hemispherical bowl with projecting rim, cylindrical built-up stem, possibly 17th-century, re-cut. Piscina: In chancel—in S. wall, plain stone with round drain. Plate: includes small cup with flowers and foliage in low relief, late 17th-century, moulded stem perhaps rather later. Screen (Plate 72): of three bays, the S. bay wider than the rest, middle bay with multifoiled head, traceried spandrels and rosettes as cusp-points, side bays each with half an arch with traceried spandrel but no cusping, added tracery in inner angles of bays, moulded posts and head-beam and above beam range of panelling partly open and with trefoiled and traceried heads, perhaps original front of loft, 15th-century, much altered and with modern repair. Sundials: On S.E. angle of chancel, scratched dial. On S. wall of nave—painted dial on plaster, with iron gnomon, 18th-century. Miscellanea: two lengths of moulded oak rails, 15th and 17th-century.
(2). Court Farm, house and barn, 30 yards S. of the church. The House is of two storeys partly timber-framed and partly of brick; the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century, but the brick N.W. wing and the E. extension of the original wing are 18th-century additions. The timber-framing is exposed on the N. side and on part of the S. side of the original block. One window on the N. side has original moulded frame and mullions and diamond-shaped oak stanchions. Inside the building are some original framed partitions and exposed ceiling-beams and joists to the ground-floor rooms. There is one original door of moulded battens, and between the staircases is a balustrade with 17th-century turned balusters.
(3). White House and barn, 80 yards N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, partly timber-framed and partly of brick; the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century, but has been mostly re-faced with brick. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and timber-framing.
(4). Prior's Court, house and outbuildings, about ½ m. N.E. of the church. The House is partly of two storeys with cellars and attics and partly of one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed with some brickwork, and the roofs are tiled. The E. wing is probably of early 17th-century date, and the S.W. wing an addition of late in the same century. The timber-framing is exposed on parts of the N., S. and W. sides. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.
(5). Glebe Farm, outbuildings, 360 yards N.N.W. of the church. The Barn, E. of the house, is of the 17th century, timber-framed, and of three bays. The Granary, N. of the barn, is of similar date and construction; it is of three bays.
(6). Aylton Court, outbuildings, ½ m. S.S.W. of the church. The Outbuildings, N.E. of the house, consist of stables and two barns all of early 17th-century date and timber-framed. The stable with the loft over has queen-post roof-trusses. The barn, N.E. of the stable, is of five bays, and the second barn, to the S.E., is of six bays.
(7). Jacob's Leys, house, about 1¼ m. N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics, originally timber-framed but almost entirely re-faced with brick. It was built, probably, late in the 17th century and is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and W. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.