An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
75 WHITNEY (A.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XXIV, S.W.)
Whitney is a small parish on the N. bank of the Wye, 6 m. S.S.W. of Kington.
(1). Parish Church of SS. Peter and Paul stands in the W. part of the parish. The old church was largely washed away in 1720 and the existing church was partly re-built in 1740. Mediæval walling remains on the E. and N. sides, and the E. window of the chancel is probably in situ; it is of late 14th-century date and of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head.
Fittings—Font: hemispherical bowl, with moulded octagonal base and square plinth with spur-ornaments, bowl 12th or 13th-century, base probably 14th-century. Monument: In chancel—on S. wall, to Thomas Williams, 1698, grey and veined marble tablet with Ionic side-columns, drapery, entablature, curved pediment and achievement-of-arms. Panelling: forming dado in chancel and nave and incorporated in backs of pews, 17th-century panelling and a cupboard-door inscribed 1704. Plate: includes a cup and cover-paten of 1693. Reredos: In chancel—early 17th-century overmantel of four bays with three terminal figures, two enriched arcaded panels and frieze carved with dolphins and three shields, one shield with the date 1629 and the others with foliage; flanking reredos, 17th and 18th-century panelling; all re-used from elsewhere. Seating: In nave—incorporated in pews, two 16th-century bench-ends with shaped tops and elbow-rests. Miscellanea: On the lych-gate of 1903 is re-set a 16th-century gable-cross with flowered arms, and each face carved with the letters I.H.S., fleurs-delis, rosettes, etc., in low relief.
(2). The Grove, house, on the N. side of the road, 1,170 yards W. of the church, is of two storeys, formerly timber-framed, but refaced with stone and brick; the roofs are slate-covered. It was built late in the 17th century, and has a later extension on the W. Inside the building some ceiling-beams are exposed.
(3). Bridge House, at Millhalf, ¾ m. N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed, and partly refaced in stone. It was built early in the 17th century, and has some exposed ceiling-beams.
(4). Cottage, on the S. side of the road at Stowe, 1 m. E.S.E. of the church, is of one storey with attics, formerly timber-framed, but refaced in stone; the roofs are stone-covered. It was built late in the 17th century, and has an exposed ceiling-beam.