An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
78 WILLEY (B.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)V, N.E., (b)V, S.E., (c)VI, S.W.)
Willey is a parish on the W. border of the county, 8 m. N.N.E. of Kington.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the roofs are covered with stone or modern slates. Most of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(1). Willey Old Hall, in the E. part of the parish, is built partly of stone and brick and partly of timber-framing. It has a cross-wing at the E. end.
b(2). Whit Cot, house, 320 yards S.E. of (1), is timber-framed, and has cross-wings at the E. and W. ends.
c(3). Lower House, ¾ m. S.E. of (1), is built of stone. It was much altered c. 1800, when the roof was re-built.
b(4). The Warren, cottage, 1 m. W. of (1), has stone walls and a corrugated-iron roof. It was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
b(5). Willey Court, foundations and outbuilding, 600 yards N.E. of (4). The House has been destroyed except for the foundations. The Outbuilding, W. of the site, is partly of stone and partly timber-framed and weather-boarded.
a(6). Tipton Farm, house, 970 yards N. of (5), is stone-built and of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and W.
a(7). Willey Lodge, in the N.E. angle of the parish, 1,050 yards E. of (6), is timber-framed and partly refaced in stone. Some of the timber-framing is exposed, and inside the building is an original battened door with strap-hinges.