An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
13 BURRINGTON (C.a.)
(1). Parish Church of St. George stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material; the roofs are covered with tiles. The church was almost entirely re-built about the middle of the 19th century when the Chancel was shortened. Portions of the side walls of both the chancel and Nave are, however, old, though of uncertain period. The West Tower is entirely modern.
Fittings—Alms-box: In nave—cut from an oak block and of semi-octagonal form with a modern flat lid, probably 17th-century. Chest: In vestry, plain, with dovetailed joints and shaped feet, 16th-century or earlier, lid later. Font: plain octagonal bowl with hollowed under edge, quatre-foiled stem and chamfered base, probably 14th-century. Floor-slabs (Plate 92): Within the old chancel but now E. of E. wall—(1) to Robert and Sarah, children of Richard Knight, 1714; the six follow ing slabs are of cast-iron (2) to William Walker, 1676, with achievement-of-arms and moulded rim; (3) to Jane Hare, 1678, with shield-of-arms; (4) to Richard Knight, 1645–6, with achievement-of-arms and ornamental border; (5) to Maria Hare, 1674, with achievement-of-arms and moulded rim; (6) to Joyce Walker, 1658–9, with moulded rim; (7) to Robert Steward, 1619–20, with shield-of-arms in a strapwork frame. Plate: includes Elizabethan cup with band of engraved ornament round bowl, paten of 1712, given by Rachell Erskin, 1712–3 and a flagon of 1712, given by Elianor Stocton, 1712–3.
(2). The Old Vicarage, about 70 yards S. of the church, is partly of two storeys and partly of two with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are thatched. The S. and lower part of the house was built early in the 17th century, and the northern half added somewhat later. Inside the building is some exposed timber-framing.
(4). Manor Farm, house about 200 yards N.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled roofs. It was built in the 17th century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end; there is a modern addition on the W. Much of the timber-framing is exposed. The upper storey formerly projected at the end of the E. wing, and the gable above has diagonal framing; the upper storey still projects on the N. side of the wing.
(5). The Farm, house, about 400 yards N. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and with slate-covered roofs. It is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and S. The projecting part of the S. wing is of early 16th-century date, but the adjoining part of the main block was re-built early in the 17th century and extended towards the W. later in the same century. There are modern additions at each end. Much of the timber-framing is exposed, that in the S. wing being close-set. The upper storey projects on the free sides of this wing on curved brackets. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.