An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
16 COMBE (B.c.)
(1). Combe Farm, house and barn, towards the W. side of the parish. The House (Plate 20) is of two storeys, timber-framed and with stone-slate or slate covered roofs; it is of modified L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the E. and N. The block in the angle dates from c. 15 00, and the two wings are lower additions of early 17th-century date. The original block has fairly close-set timber-framing, set herring-bone wise in the S. gable. The upper storey projects on the W. side on a moulded bressummer, curved brackets and attached shafts and formerly projected at the S. end, but has been under-built; the gable also projects on curved brackets, and the main uprights below have, or had, small attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases; in the E. wall is the original moulded sill of a blocked window, and there is a similar sill on the W. wall. The added wings have exposed framing in squares. Inside the building, the original block has moulded ceiling-beams and joists. Other rooms have chamfered ceiling-beams. There are also some exposed wall-posts and a shaped 17th-century wall-bracket.
(2). The Fold, cottage and barn, 650 yards N.N.W. of (1). The Cottage is of one storey with attics, timber-framed and with a roof of stone-slates. It was built probably early in the 17th century, and has exposed timber-framing in squares. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams.
(3). Mound, on the S. side of Hindwell Brook, 430 yards N.N.E. of (1), is circular in form and about 40 yards in diameter. It rises, at most, some 8 ft. above the surrounding dry ditch, which has an average depth of 6¾ ft.