An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
41 KINSHAM (B.b.)
b(1). Church of All Saints stands on the S.E. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble rough-cast, and with dressings of the same material; the roofs are tiled. The church, consisting of continuous Chancel and Nave, was built late in the 13th or early in the 14th century. It has been restored in modern times.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23 ft. by 19½ ft.) has a late 13th or early 14th-century E. window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. In the N. wall is a window of c. 1300 and of one trefoiled light; further W. is a doorway of the same date, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the S. wall is a window similar to that in the N. wall. There is no chancel-arch.
The Nave (34¼ ft. by 19½ ft.) has, in the N. wall a window all modern except parts of the jambs; the N. doorway, of c. 1300, has chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the S. wall is a window all modern except the sill; further E. is a 'low-side' window of one square-headed light and fitted with an iron grate and a shutter; the S. doorway, now blocked, is similar to the N. doorway. In the W. wall is a window of c. 1300 and of one trefoiled light. In the gable is a modern bell-cote.
Fittings—Altar: In the chancel-floor—slab (6¾ ft. by 3½ ft.) with consecration-crosses in two corners, mediæval. Bell: one, probably by A. Rudhall, c. 1700. Communion Table: with turned legs and moulded rails, early 18th-century, top modern. Communion Rails: with turned balusters and book-board, early 18th-century. Door: In gallery-partition—panelled door with fanlight divided by three flat radiating balusters, 17th-century. Font: octagonal bowl with hollow-splayed underside, probably 15th-century, brick base. Gallery: In nave—at W. end, resting on two oak posts with moulded capitals and bases; front with fielded panels, panelled standards and moulded capping, early 18th-century. Glass: In E. window—jumble of fragments including border with fleurs-de-lis and towers, parts of figures, etc., probably 14th-century. Panelling: On walls and partition in nave—dado of fielded panels, early 18th-century. In chancel— priest's desk panelled in two heights, with moulded cornice, early 18th-century. Piscinæ: In chancel— recess with trefoiled head, round drain set in projection and stone shelf at back, c. 1300. In nave—in S. wall, recess with trefoiled head and round drain, projection cut back, stone shelf, c. 1300. Plate: includes cup of 1571 with band of engraved ornament. Pulpit: of oak, semi-hexagonal, sides panelled in two heights, lower plain and upper with half-round heads, moulded cornice, early 18th-century. Miscellanea: In chancel— small box carved with ornamental designs, perhaps 17th-century.
b(2). Lower Court, house, now three tenements, and moat, 630 yards S.S.W. of the church. The House (Plate 30) is of two storeys, timber-framed but largely refaced with stone; the roofs are covered with slates. The N.E. wing incorporates the wing of a 14th or 15th-century house; the rest of the building appears to be not earlier than the 17th century. The upper storey projects at the N.W. end of the original wing which has some heavy exposed timber-framing; the gable also projects. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams and wall-posts. In the older wing is an original doorway with an ogee head, now opening into a cupboard.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tile or slate-covered roofs. Some of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
a(9). Cadwell, house and barn, about ½ m. N.W. of the church. The House has been remodelled in modern times and refronted in brick. Inside the building is an old fireplace with roughly moulded stone jambs. The Barn, E. of the house, is of four bays, weather-boarded.
b(12). Mound, about 300 yards W.N.W. of (11), is roughly circular, about 4 ft. high and about 32 yards in diameter at the base. About 120 yards N.E. of the mound is a stone of roughly oval form, 8½ ft. long and rising 2 ft. out of the ground. On the top surface are four circular sinkings about 3 in. in diameter.