An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
54 MANSELL LACY (C.e.)
a(1). Parish Church of St. Michael (Plate 8) stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble and rough ashlar and the dressings are of the same material; the roofs are tiled. The Nave dates from the first half of the 12th century, but the only feature of this date now in position is the N. doorway. In the 13th century the Chancel was re-built, the S. arcade built and the South Aisle added; the nave was perhaps lengthened at the same time. Early in the 14th century the E. wall of the chancel was re-built and the West Tower added. The South Porch was built in the 15th century. The church was restored about 1861–2 and the North Vestry and organ-chamber was added in 1879.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (32 ft. by 15½ ft.) has an early 14th-century E. window of three plain pointed lights with the mullions carried up to the two-centred head to form the middle light; the external stonework is enriched with ball-flower ornament, as is the upper part of the window internally. In the N. wall are two late 13th-century windows each of two trefoiled lights and the eastern with a pierced lozenge-shaped spandrel above; further W. is a modern opening. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost is similar to the eastern window in the N. wall, and the two westernmost are similar to the western window in the N. wall; in the W. splay of the westernmost window is a squint with a moulded lintel; between the western windows is a late 13th-century doorway, now blocked, it has chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The 13th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders, the outer continuous and the inner resting on attached semi-octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. The North Vestry is modern but incorporates a late 13th or early 14th-century two-light window partly of old materials.
The Nave (40¾ ft. by 16½ ft.) has, in the N. wall, two windows all modern except the rear-arch of the eastern; the early 12th-century N. doorway is now blocked and partly covered by a modern buttress; it has a plain W. jamb and hollow chamfered impost supporting the flat lintel. At the W. end of the walls is a projection containing the stairway to the tower; the doorway has chamfered jambs and shouldered head, and in the outer wall is a square-headed window. The 13th-century S. arcade has two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, springing from octagonal columns and semi-octagonal responds stopped out to a square at the base, with unusual moulded stops and having moulded capitals and square plinths; E. of the arcade is an opening with a lintelled head carried on corbelling; projecting from the N. face of the lintel is a corbel with a grotesque beast-head, formerly a gargoyle or spout and with a roll in its mouth; it probably supported the front beam of the former rood-loft.
The South Aisle (10½ ft. wide) has, in the E. wall, a late 13th-century window of three grouped and trefoiled lights; the sill is recessed for an altar. In the S. wall are three late 13th-century windows each of two trefoiled lights; the re-set early 12th-century S. doorway has plain jambs and moulded corbels supporting the plain lintel which has the lower part of a plain round-headed panel cut in it to form a tympanum; the upper part is missing; in the wall above are two carved corbels re-set, and higher up a re-set carved gargoyle; they appear to have formed part of a 12th-century corbel-table. In the W. wall is a late 13th-century window of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil above. On the gables of the aisle are re-set two old gable-crosses.
The West Tower (10½ ft. square) is of early 14th-century date and of three stages with a pyramidal roof. In the E. wall of the ground stage is a modern doorway and above it is a 13th-century lancet-window, formerly lighting the nave. In the S. wall is a doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head; above it, and extending to the nave-wall, is a weathered stone hood supported on three corbels. In the N. wall is a small square-headed light. In the W. wall is a similar but larger window. The second stage has, in the S. wall, a window of one trefoiled ogee light. The bell-chamber has, in the E. and N. walls, a window of one trefoiled light; the other walls have each a window of two trefoiled ogee lights; the head of the S. window is modern.
The Roof of the chancel is of the 15th century and of trussed-rafter type, having three moulded soffit-ribs and moulded wall-plates. The 13th or 14th-century roof of the nave is of simple trussed rafter type. The restored 15th-century roof of the S. porch is of two bays and of trussed rafter type; the main timbers are moulded and the wall-plates are embattled in addition.
Fittings—Bells: four; 1st by John Martin, 1618; 2nd and 4th 1671, probably both by William Clibury, whose initials appear on the 4th; 3rd probably 17th-century but with no founder's mark. Brackets: In chancel—near E. end on side-walls, two moulded brackets, 12th-century material, re-set. Churchyard Cross (Plate 46): S. of church—octagonal base with trefoiled niche in W. face, four octagonal steps, 14th-century, shaft modern. Coffin-lid: Re-used as lintel of S. doorway of tower, with moulded panel and sprigged stem perhaps of cross, 12th or 13th-century. Font (Plate 55): plain cylindrical bowl with moulded stem and chamfered base, probably late 12th-century. Glass: In S. aisle—in E. window, small shield of Burgh, probably 14th-century. Locker: In S. aisle—in N. wall, rectangular with rebated reveals, mediæval. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to William Traunter, 1691, stone tablet (Plate 67) with moulded frame, scrolled surround, apron, achievement and two shields-of-arms; on S. wall, (2) to Samuel, 1675–6 and Simeon, 1676, sons of Simon Traunter, stone tablet (Plate 69) with scrolls, curved and scrolled pediment with two reclining putti, apron and cartouche-of-arms. Floor-slabs: In or near porch—(1) to Anne, widow of Thomas (?) Duppa (?), 1710, with defaced lozenge-of-arms; (2) dated 1697, inscription defaced. Piscina: In S. aisle—in S. wall, recess with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, cinque-foiled drain in projecting sill, late 13th-century. Sedilia: In chancel— sill of S.E. window carried down to form seat. In S. aisle—recess with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, probably late 13th-century. Stoup: In S. porch—projecting bowl, semi-octagonal externally, with slight recess at back, mediæval. Miscellanea: In S. aisle—over S. doorway, corbel carved with grotesque face.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed, and with tile or stone-slate covered roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
a(5). House, on the N. side of the stream, 170 yards W.S.W. of the church, is perhaps of mediæval origin. It is of rectangular plan; the lower storey is of close-set timber-framing and the upper in large squares. Inside the building is an original moulded ceiling-beam.
a(6). House (Plate 20), two tenements, 20 yards W. of (5), has an E. wing, perhaps of 15th or early 16th-century date; the middle part of the house is probably a 17th-century rebuilding and there is an 18th-century extension on the W. The upper storey of the E. wing projects on the S. and E. sides on curved angle brackets; the framing is close-set in both storeys, and at the S. end the side panels of the upper storey have diagonal framing.
b(8). Maklins, house, on the N.W. side of the road, 400 yards S.W. of the church, is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and E. The southern part of the house is probably an early 18th-century extension.