An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
56 MONKLAND (D.c.)
(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands on the E. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings of the same material and tufa; the roofs are tiled. A cell of the Benedictine abbey of Conches (Normandy) was founded here late in the 11th century, and to this date probably belonged the nave of the church. The existing West Tower and the former chancel were added probably at the end of the 13th century. The South Porch was added in the 14th century. The Chancel and Nave were re-built in 1856 with the re-use of old material, and the spire was added at the same time.
The Nave (45 ft. by 17¼ ft.) has re-set in the N. wall four windows, the easternmost is of late 13th-century date partly restored and of two pointed lights with a plain spandrel under a slightly trefoiled and moulded label; the second and third windows are single round-headed lights of late 11th-century date with tufa dressings; the partly restored 14th-century westernmost window is of one trefoiled light with a moulded label and much re-used tufa in the splays. In the S. wall are four re-set windows, the easternmost is of c. 1300 and of two trefoiled lights with a foiled spandrel under a two-centred label; the second and fourth windows are uniform with the 11th-century windows opposite; the third window is of c. 1300 and of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil under a trefoiled and moulded label; the S. doorway, also of c. 1300, has moulded jambs, two-centred arch and label; the tufa splays are perhaps of the 11th century.
The West Tower (16¼ ft. square) (Plate 129) is of late 13th-century date and of three storeys with a plain corbelled cornice at the top and a timber broach-spire. The two-centred tower-arch is of two chamfered orders, the outer continued down the jambs and the inner interrupted by moulded capitals. In the W. wall is a window of one trefoiled light with a moulded label. The second storey has, in the N., S. and W. walls, a plain square-headed light. The third storey has, in each wall, a lancet-window with a label.
The South Porch is of the 14th century, timber-framed on modern dwarf stone walls. The outer archway is formed by the angle-posts with a tie-beam and curved braces forming a two-centred arch. The sides have each four open lights of which the sills and mullions only are old.
Fittings—Bells: four; 3rd with inscription and fleur-de-lis, no date, probably 17th-century. Font: plain round bowl tapering towards the base, 12th or 13th-century. Glass: In nave—in tracery of N.E. window, vine-foliage and a crowned man's head, 14th-century; in S.E. window, roundel with vinefoliage, 14th-century. In tower—in W. window of second storey, fragments of leaves, drapery, etc., 15th-century. Monuments: In tower—on N. wall, (1) to William Bedford, A.M., minister of the church, 1689, Margaret his wife, 1689, and Margaret, their daughter, wife of Thomas Bedford, 1690, tablet with frame, scrolls, hand, pediment and vase; (2) to William Norgrave, 1714, tablet with scrolled border, cherub-head and shield-of-arms. Piscinæ: In chancel—round drain on sill, in double recess with completely restored heads. In nave—in sill of S.E. window, round drain. Sedilia: in range with piscina, two bays with entirely restored trefoiled heads. Tiles: In nave—slip-tiles with eagles, the arms of Beauchamp, etc.
(2). Manor Farm, house and outbuildings, 60 yards S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled roofs. The middle part of the house fronting S. formed the hall and E. cross-wing of a mediæval building perhaps of the 15th century. Early in the 17th century a large extension was made on the W. and N. and late in the same or early in the following century the main block was extended towards the E. Much of the N. and S. sides and the W. end have been faced in brick. Some of the timber-framing is exposed, and near the S.W. angle is a moulded 17th-century beam. Inside the building, some of the ceiling-beams are exposed and one of the rooms has some 17th-century panelling. The staircase is partly of the 17th century and has turned balusters, moulded grip-handrail, and square moulded newels. The original hall has a central roof-truss with rudimentary hammer-beams and curved braces. Two rooms on the first floor have 17th-century panelling, and one of these has an overmantel with three arcaded panels.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed, and with tile or slate-covered roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
(7). Yew Tree Farm, house and outbuildings, 60 yards W. of (6). The House has a thatched roof and is continued westwards as a barn of five bays. Inside the house the newel staircase retains an original newel with a moulded terminal. The Cider-Mill and store, E. of the house, are perhaps of 17th-century origin.