An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
69 STAUNTON-ON-WYE (B.e.)
b(1). Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 155) stands on the S. side of the parish. The walls are of local sandstone rubble with dressings and some rough ashlar of the same material. The roofs are covered with slates, stone slates and tiles. The Nave was built c. 1180–1200. Late in the 13th century the West Tower was added. Early in the 14th century a N. chapel was built opening into the nave by an arcade of two bays; about the same time the tower-arch seems to have been widened. The Chancel was re-built in 1720, and about 1775 the N. chapel is said to have been pulled down. The church has been restored in modern times, when the E. part of the S. wall of the nave seems to have been re-built; the South Porch was added in 1878.
Architectural Description—The Nave (49¾ ft. by 20 ft.) has, in the N. wall, a blocked early 14th-century arcade of two bays with segmental-pointed arches of two chamfered orders; the cylindrical column has a roughly moulded capital and a chamfered base; the responds are chamfered and stopped out to square at the top and bottom; on the E. respond is a corbel, with a ball-flower ornament, carrying the inner order; the corbel on the W. respond has been re-cut; in the blocking of the E. arch is a re-set 14th-century window of two ogee-headed lights; towards the W. end of the wall is a single roughly pointed late 12th-century window; the blocked late 12th-century N. doorway has chamfered jambs and round head. In the S. wall are three windows, all originally of the 14th century, but the easternmost is now all modern externally; the middle window is partly restored and of two ogee-headed lights; the westernmost window is of similar form but roughly executed; the late 12th-century S. doorway has a round arch of two orders, the inner moulded and continuous and the outer chamfered and with a grooved and hollow-chamfered label; the jambs have each a detached shaft with moulded base and capital carved with simple water-leaves.
The West Tower (16 ft. square) is of late 13th-century date and of three stages with a high battered plinth and a pyramidal roof. The tower-arch is segmental-pointed and of three chamfered orders with a moulded label; the chamfered responds have each an attached shaft with moulded capital and base. In the N. wall is a window of a single lancet-light; in the S. wall is a window of one trefoiled light; in the W. wall, the window is of one round-headed light, perhaps re-set, and below it is a modern doorway. The second stage has, in the E. wall, a doorway formerly opening into the nave roof; in the S. wall is a window of one trefoiled light; in the W. wall is a square-headed light. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two trefoiled lights.
The Roof of the nave is modern, but against the E. wall is part of a rib or moulding with a grotesque head at the apex. The pyramidal roof of the tower is mediæval and has a heavy central post resting on crossed tie-beams.
Fittings—Communion Table: with heavy turned legs, enriched top rails and shaped brackets, early 17th-century. Rails: Under tower-arch—two lengths of rails, with symmetrically turned balusters, 17th-century, probably communion-rails. Chairs: In chancel—two, made up of early 17th-century framing and panelling. Coffin-lids: In chancel—(1) tapering slab with remains of cross with foliage and a staff with a defaced head at one side, 13th-century, 17th or 18th-century initials J.A.K. added at top; (2) tapering slab with incised cross having fleur-de-lis arms and stepped calvary, 13th-century. In churchyard (3) tapering slab with moulded edge and two formy crosses in sunk circles, indented ornament at top and bottom, 13th-century. Font (Plate 56): round cup-shaped bowl with moulded necking, round stem and moulded base, early 13th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In nave—on N. wall, (1) to Isabell, wife of John Kirwood, 1693, small stone tablet with incised scroll-work and shield-of-arms. In churchyard—S. of chancel, (2) stone effigy of woman in close-fitting gown and loose cloak, head on cushion, feet on beast, over head, cinque-foiled canopy and angel-heads at sides, early 14th-century, broken and defaced. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Catherine Sandford, 1710– 11; (2) to Isabel Kirwood, 1695; (3) to John Kyrwood, 1704, with shield-of-arms. Paintings: In nave— on N. wall, the repainted date 1602; over N. doorway, said to have been royal arms of Elizabeth, not now visible. Panelling: In W. tower—forming enclosures to staircase, etc., late 16th and early 17th-century panelling; on S.W. enclosure, three arcaded panels carved with trees, probably from an overmantel, also a band of ornament, early 17th-century; on both enclosures, carved designs, pieces of linen-fold panelling, etc.; fixed to modern panelling, six medallions carved with heads of men and women in the French renaissance style, also various carved spandrels and two half-round posts with enrichments, early to mid 16th-century. Plate: includes cup (Plate 60) and cover-paten of 1576, the former with band of engraved ornament.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and with tile, slate or stone-slate covered roofs. Most of the buildings have exposed external timber-framing and internal ceiling-beams.
b(2). Church House Farm, house, 30 yards S.W. of the church, has an original cross-wing at the N. end. The main block has an 18th-century addition on the E., and the S. cross-wing is modern. There are two original windows with chamfered mullions. Inside the building is an original wall-post with a shaped head.
b(3). Kilkington Farm, house, 600 yards N.N.E. of the church, is of two dates, the lower N.E. wing being probably the earlier and dating from c. 1600; it has been refaced with 18th-century brick. Inside the building is a 17th-century staircase and some panelling of the same date. The roofs have heavy tie-beams on shaped posts.
a(17). House, two tenements, N.W. of (16). The S.E. cross-wing is perhaps of the 16th century, but the main block is a 17th-century building. The upper storey projects at the N.E. end of the cross-wing on a moulded bressummer and the gable above has diagonal framing. The storehouse adjoining on the S.E. is probably of the 17th century.
a(19). Bridgend Farm, house and barn on the N.E. side of the road, about 2½ m. W.N.W. of the church. The House has a S.E. bay, which seems to date from c. 1600 or earlier, but the rest of the building has been much altered and refronted in brick. The lower N.W. wing is of early 17th-century date. Inside the building is a 17th-century staircase, with turned balusters and moulded handrail.