An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
73 WALFORD, LETTON, AND NEWTON (C.a.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)II, S.W., (b)II, S.E., (c)VI, N.W.)
Walford, Letton, and Newton is a parish 11 m. N.W. of Leominster.
b(1). House, two tenements on the E. side of a byroad, 340 yards S.S.W. of the cross-roads at Walford, is of two storeys, the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built early in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and S. Inside the building is some exposed framing and ceiling-beams. On the N. wall of the kitchen is a large plaster panel (Plate 72) sub-divided by moulded ribs with circles at the intersections; in the minor panels are various modelled designs, including the Prince of Wales' feathers, a fish with two birds, a mermaid with a cock and a falcon, a vase of flowers, a lion, falcon and vine stems; the round bosses have rosettes. Above the fireplace in the same room is some plaster-work in square panels with foliage-designs; there is also some 17th-century panelling. Re-set in the chimney-stack is a 12th-century capital, and loose in the garden is a 13th-century foliage capital, both probably from Wigmore Abbey.
b(2). Cottage, 60 yards S. of (1), is of two storeys, timber-framed and roofed with corrugated-iron. It was built in the 17th-century and has some exposed framing and ceiling-beams.
c(3). Gatepiers, at Lower Letton, over 1¼ m. S.S.W. of (1), are built of worked and carved stones (Plate 17) from Wigmore Abbey; they include voussoirs with beak-heads, an enriched roll-moulding, fragment with interlacing cheveron-ornament and carved and scalloped capitals, all of late 12th-century date, also 13th-century mouldings and a good capital carved with stiff-leaf foliage.
c(4). The Moor, house, at the S.E. corner of the parish, is of two storeys with attics, timber-framed and weather-boarded and with tiled roofs. The western part was built c. 1600, and the E. part added shortly after. Inside the building are exposed ceiling-beams, and the roof is of queen-post type.
b(5). Mound, 270 yards S. of the cross-roads at Walford, is about 94 ft. in diameter at the base and rises about 9 or 10 ft. above the surrounding ground. The ditch round the mound is interrupted on the S.W. side by remains of a causeway.
a(6). Mound, about 700 yards S.W. of the crossroads, at Walford, is about 56 ft. in diameter at the base and about 3 ft. high. In Arch. Camb., 1874, p. 163, it is stated that in 1736, in a tumulus at Walford, was found "a vase-like vessel of Roman form, with a beaded moulding around the swelling portion and around its base but otherwise plain and without ornament. Its dimensions are: height, 18 in.; diameter at the mouth 6 in., at the widest part 14 in., and at the base 12 in." It seems probable that this mound is the tumulus referred to.