An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Herefordshire, Volume 3, North West. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1934.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
15 BYTON (B.b.)
Fittings—Floor-slab: In nave—to James Woodhouse, 1651, and Thomas Woodhouse, 1684. Font (Plate 55): round bowl splayed back in the lower part and with incised zig-zag band round top, plain stem, early 12th-century. Plate: includes cup of 1571 with band of engraved ornament, and a cover-paten with the date 15 71 on the handle. Miscellanea: Incorporated in S. wall of organ-chamber—lintel or tympanum (Plate 17) of doorway with roughly curved upper side and rebate for jamb-stone on left side, on face a round sunk panel containing an Agnus Dei and flanked by incised knot-ornaments, probably late 11th or early 12th-century.
(2). Court House, house and outbuildings, 140 yards S.S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars; the walls are timber-framed, but largely refaced with stone, and the roofs are covered with stone slates and tiles. It is of T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the W. end; the E. wing is of mediæval origin, but was re-modelled early in the 16th century when the cross-wing was added. Inside the building the E. wing has remains of an original roof-truss with a curved and moulded brace under the collar. The ground floor has some exposed ceiling-beams, one supported on a heavy oak post with a shaped top, probably of the 17th century. In the cross-wing is a shaped bracket of similar form.
(3). Cottage, 280 yards S. of the church, is of one storey with attics; the walls are of stone and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built probably early in the 18th century and has a later outbuilding on the W. The ceiling-beams are exposed.
(4). The Woodhouse, house and outbuildings, about 1 m. S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of stone, repaired in brick, and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built early in the 17th century, but was remodelled in the 18th century when a large wing was added on the E. and the S. side refronted in brick. In the W. wall is an original window of two lights with moulded oak frame and mullion. The central chimney-stack, of brick, has projecting nibs at the angles and in the middle of each side. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams, and one room is lined with original panelling. The late 17th-century staircase (Plate 75) has heavy twisted balusters, moulded strings and square newels. On the first floor is a fireplace with an early 18th-century moulded surround and cornice.
The Stable, W. of the house, is of late 17th-century date, timber-framed on a stone base; the roof is of queen-post type. The Barn, S.W. of the house, is of the 17th century, timber-framed, and of six bays.