An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. vii. N.E.)
(1). Parish Church of All Saints, stands about 1½ miles N. by W. of Baldock and about ¼ mile W. of the Biggleswade road. It is built of plastered flint rubble; the roofs are tiled. The earlier history of the Chancel and aisleless Nave has been completely obscured by 15th-century repairs. The earliest detail, the chancel arch, is of c. 1340, but the walls are probably older. An arch partly carrying a bell-cot, and the E. window of the chancel are of c. 1500. The South Porch and North Vestry are modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (20 ft. by 13½ ft.) has an E. window of three lights, of c. 1500, and a modern single light in the S. wall: on the N. side is a modern doorway opening into the vestry. The chancel arch is of two wave-moulded orders on octagonal pilasters, with moulded bases and capitals. The Nave (35 ft. by 16½ ft.) has windows of two lights in the N., S., and W. walls, with little, if any, old work. The S. doorway is of late 14th-century date. The W. bay of the nave is cut off by a wall pierced by an arch of c. 1500 with coarse detail. The small Bell-Cot over the W. end of the nave is practically modern.
Fittings—Bells: two, undated. Brasses: in chancel, at S.E., of William Wheteaker, his wife Joan, and their son Thomas, a priest in Eucharistic vestments, who died in 1487, with inscription: in chancel at N.E., of Elizabeth, wife of John Parker, 1602, with inscription: in the nave, at N.E., of John Bele, 1516, and his wives Anne and Agnes, with inscription. Chest: at W. end of nave, mid 17th-century. Communion Rails, with moulded rail and square moulded balusters, early 17th-century, probably of Laud's time. Font: of rough workmanship, ornamented with shields, possibly 15th-century. Monuments: at E. end of S. wall of chancel, large, of alabaster, to Mary Plomer, 1605, with effigies of a woman seated, six sons, four daughters, and a chrisom child: on S. wall, alabaster, to Ann Plomer, 1625: on N. wall of chancel, small, of marble and alabaster, three kneeling effigies, of John Parker, 1595, his wife Mary, 1574, and their son John: on S. wall of nave, small, of alabaster and black marble, with kneeling effigy of Sir William Plomer, 1625. Plate: includes cup of 1574 and paten of 1796.
Condition—Good; much restored.