An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
12. AYOT ST. PETER.
(O.S. 6 in. xxviii. N.W.)
(1). Ayot Place, a farmhouse about ½ mile W. of St. Peter's Church, is built of timber and plaster, and dated 1615; the roofs are tiled. The plan is of the L type; one wing, facing N., contains an entrance lobby, staircase, parlours, etc.; the other, facing E., contains the original hall, now the kitchen. Both wings show signs of having been originally longer. The N. elevation is of timber and plaster, but the kitchen wing has been partly cased with brick. There are two chimney stacks, finished with separate octagonal and twisted shafts having moulded caps; both much restored. In the hall is a large beam, part of one of the original roof-trusses, decorated with a complete Doric entablature and elaborate curvilinear cresting; on the frieze are five shields with the arms of Perient, Brocket and Boteler quartering Kilpec; in the centre is the date 1615. A floor carried from the N. wall to this beam, forms a chamber or gallery over the N. end of the hall.
Condition—Good, but much altered and repaired in the 19th century.