An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Fittings from the old church—Brasses: in the N. wall of chancel, at the back of a modern recess, three brasses; two with figures of men in armour; one, thought to be John Knighton, 1545, is a palimpsest cut from a shrouded figure: the other, name unknown, c. 1590: the third a shield charged with the arms of Knighton, barry of eight, on a canton a tun impaling quarterly 1 and 4 Gascoigne, on a pale a fish hauriant, 2 and 3, Pickett or Pigott, three picks; this shield and part of a fourth brass (detached) of a lady, said to be the wife of John Knighton, 1545, are also palimpsest, both having been cut out of a Flemish brass of a foreign bishop or abbot: two more palimpsest brasses at Upminster Church in Essex, of the same date (1545) were cut from the same figure. Font: late 15th-century; octagonal; bowl with panelled sides ornamented with Tudor roses and a moulded under edge; the base is moulded. Monument: in same recess as the brasses, of George Knighton, 1612, of white marble with recumbent effigy in armour, and wearing a ruff, trunk hose and jack-boots.
(3). The Manor House, S. of the church, is partly of early 17th-century date. The additions and alterations made in the 19th century have completely obscured the original plan, and the exterior of the building has been re-faced. It is of three storeys, and the original "dog-legged" stairs, in two flights from each floor, remain, apparently in situ; the handrail is moulded, and carried on turned balusters; the newels are square, with pierced, pointed terminals and pendants, a few being restorations. In a room on the first floor is some panelling of early 17th-century date, decorated with painted cartouches and strapwork.