An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxxiii. S.E. (b)xxxviii. N.W.)
a(1). Dwelling House, on the E. side of Boxmoor House, found and planned in 1851. Roman burials have been discovered near it.
Condition—No remains above ground.
b(2). Parish Church of St. Lawrence, stands on high ground on the N. side of the village. It was entirely re-built in 1845, with the exception of the lower part of the walls of the W. tower.
Fittings—Bells: three, 1st by Chandler 1663, 2nd by W. Whitmore, 1654. Brasses: in the chancel floor, partly hidden by the choir stalls, to Henry Maine, 1605: to Andrew Mayne, 1621: to Mary Mayne, 1641: to John Hall, 1617. Monuments and Floor Slabs: in the tower, stone effigy, early 15th-century, of a knight wearing pointed bascinet with camail and hauberk, the gypon is apparently of leather, but the elbow cops and leg defences are of plate, the sword belt is jewelled; at the feet is a hound; the supporting figures at the head and hands are missing: in the chancel, several 17th-century floor slabs, one to James Mayne, 1642, with marginal inscription, inlaid marble.
b(3). Rentstreet Farm, about ½ mile S.E. of the church, is a rectangular building of timber and brick; the roof is tiled. The lower storey has closely spaced vertical timbers, and is possibly of late 16th-century date; the projecting upper storey, with timbers further apart, was probably built at a later date.