An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. viii. S.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary stands near the top of the hill N.E. of the village; the walls are of flint rubble with stone dressings; the roofs are tiled. The date at which the Nave, the earliest part of the church, was built is uncertain, but it was probably in the 12th century; the South Chapel was added c. 1350; a little later the Chancel was re-built, and a South Tower added immediately W. of the chapel, the ground stage forming a South Porch. In the 19th century the North Vestry was built, and the church considerably repaired.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (27 ft. by 16½ ft.) has in the S. wall a small blocked doorway; all the windows have been restored, but possibly retain a few 15th-century stones; the chancel arch, probably of the 14th century, is covered with cement. The Nave (36½ ft. by 19 ft.) has, in the N. wall, two windows of two lights with tracery; one is of the 15th century, the other is a modern copy; in the S. wall, opening into the chapel, is a two-centred arch of two chamfered orders, with half-octagonal jambs of two orders, separated by filleted bowtells; the S. doorway is of the 14th century, and the W. window is of the 15th century. The South Chapel (18 ft. by 10 ft.) has an original E. window with tracery of a later date, and, in the S. wall, a traceried window and a single light, also original. The South Tower is of two stages with a pyramidal roof. The windows of the bell-chamber are of the 14th century, much restored. The ground stage, forming a South Porch, has an original chamfered entrance archway with a two-centred head. The Roof of the nave contains a few old timbers.
Fittings—Bells: two; 1st, with mark of Richard Wymbish, 14th-century; 2nd, 16th-century. Brackets: in the S. chapel, two, for images, 14th-century. Brasses: in the chancel, of priest in cope, early 16th-century, no inscription: of John Vynter, rector of the parish, 1404, in Eucharistic vestments: of John Wryght, rector of the parish, 1519, in Eucharistic vestments, holding chalice and wafer: of Anne Bramfield, 1578: of William Lucas, rector of the parish, 1602: on S. wall of S. chapel, inscription to Thomas Dalyson, rector of the parish, 1541 (possibly belonging to the early 16th-century figure in chancel): indents of figure and inscription. Door: of S. porch, mediæval, with hinges and iron work of same date as tower; the name "John Warren" is painted on the inner side in black-letter. Font: 12th-century, of Purbeck marble, with square basin ornamented with shallow round-headed panels, and carried upon five circular shafts with a moulded base; cover, 17th-century. Glass: in the E. window, some canopies in glass of c. 1350, the head of a female saint, some quarries of slightly later date, painted with birds, and 15th-century border with "Maria" monogram: in S.W. window of chapel, shield in 15th-century glass; azure, two bars or, over all a cheveron gules. Lockers: in chancel, on N.E., square: in chapel, on N.W., square. Monument: in the chapel floor, fragments of large slab with foliate cross in low relief and marginal inscription in Lombardic characters, partly filled with composition, of c. 1350. Piscinae: in the chancel, late 14th-century: in the chapel, of c. 1350. Seating: some poppy-head bench ends, 15th-century.
Condition—Fairly good; the window tracery defaced by repairs in cement.
(2). W. of Hooksgreen Farm.
(3). ¾ mile S.E. of the village, track of moat.