An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. xlv. N.W.)
(1). Parish Church of St. Nicholas, near the middle of the village, was almost entirely re-built in 1853, some of the old material being re-used. The columns and capitals of the S. arcade of the Nave, which was re-built on the old foundations, and possibly some stones in the N. arcade, are of the 15th century, and old work also remains in the S. wall of the South Aisle. Three of the collar beams in the Roof of the nave are of the 15th century.
Fittings—Font: octagonal, the stem consists of central pillar within a hollow octagonal drum having a pierced panel in each side; 15th-century, lower part defaced. Monument: on N. wall of N. aisle, to Olive Buck, 1603, alabaster, recently repaired and replaced in the church.