An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
30. BUSHEY, Rural.
b(1). Parish Church of St. James, stands at the S.E. end of the village; the walls are of flint with stone dressings; the roofs are tiled. The Chancel was built early in the 13th century, and the Nave was of the same date, but none of the original walling remains; the West Tower was added in the 15th century; in 1871 the church was restored, and the Aisles, the South Vestries and Organ Chamber and the North Porch were built.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (35 ft. by 17 ft.) has three modern lancet windows on the E., and on the N. and S. are shallow 13th-century wall arcades of three bays with pointed arches and a simple label; the shafted jambs, of Purbeck marble, have circular capitals and moulded bases of stone. In each bay on the N. side is a plain lancet window: on the S. side in the eastern bay is a similar window, now opening into the vestry; in the middle bay is the upper part of a lancet window with a doorway under it, all the stonework being modern; in the western bay is a much repaired three-light window of late 13th-century date, now opening into the organ chamber. There is no chancel arch, but in its place is a 15th-century cambered beam supporting a plastered partition, on which are painted the Arms of Queen Anne. The Nave has a 15th-century roof. (See Roofs below.) The West Tower is of three stages with embattled parapet; on the N.E. is a newel staircase which terminates above the parapet in a turret. The moulded tower arch and one capital are of the 15th century, the jambs, etc., being of the 19th century. The W. doorway is probably also of the 15th century, and over it is a 16th-century window of two lights with modern cusping under a square head. The windows of the upper stages are of the 19th century. The chancel Roof is modern, but has 15th-century wall plates; the nave has a fine 15th-century open timber roof with alternate hammer-beam and tie-beam trusses.
Fittings—Bells: eight, 5th and 6th by William Eldridge, 1664; 7th by Roger Landon, of Workingham, 15th-century, with the inscription: 'Sancta Trinitus Unus Deus Miserere Nobis.' Doors: in N. doorway, moulded oak frame, 15th-century: to tower stair-turret, plain, 15th-century. Glass: in vestry windows, a few pieces with the arms of Gale, dated 1638, Altham, 1611, and Egerton. Locker: in N. wall of chancel, probably 15th-century. Monuments and Floor Slabs: in floor of S. aisle, slab, to William Walker, 1652: in vestry, slab to Silius Titus, 1637, Constance, his wife, 1667, and Stephen, their third son, governor of Deal, 1671, and another to John Gale, 1655. Plate: includes cup and cover paten, 1633, flagon, 1634, salver, 1671. Pulpit: octagonal, with tester, early 17th-century. Stoup: near N. doorway, fragment. Miscellanea: in the chancel, large brass chandelier, possibly 17th-century.
b(4). The Rectory, E. of the church, is of the 19th century, but incorporates some remains of a 17th-century building; one or two of the fire-places, some of the woodwork of the stairs, and some timbers in the attic and roof are of that date.
b(5). No. 53, High Street, about 150 yards E. of the church, opposite the Angel Inn, is a house of two storeys and an attic, with a central chimney stack, and may be of early 17th-century date, but has been completely restored. The ground floor is of modern brick, and the upper floors, both projecting, have timber-framed walls, covered with plaster; the roof is tiled.