An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. (a)xxi. S.W. (b)xxix. N.W.)
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints, stands in an isolated position about ½ mile N. of Datchworth Green. It is built of flint rubble with stone dressings; the roof is tiled. The Nave is probably of the 12th century, the North Aisle was added late in the 13th century, and the lower part of the West Tower is of late 14th century date. The Chancel arch is of c. 1480, but the rest of the chancel seems to have been entirely remodelled c. 1600. The South Porch is probably also of the 17th century. In 1875 the church was restored, and the top stage of the tower re-built.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (23 ft. by 14 ft.) has E. and S. windows of c. 1600. The four-centred head of the E. window is blocked, and the tracery is modern. The chancel arch has been repaired, and the bases destroyed. The Nave (38 ft. by 19 ft.) has a N. arcade of four bays, with two-centred arches of two orders on octagonal columns having moulded capitals and bases; the responds have detached shafts and crude foliated capitals; all much repaired. In the S. wall one window is of c. 1360, the other window has been much restored, and the doorway is of the 19th century. The North Aisle (39 ft. by 10½ ft.) has a 15th-century window on the N.E.; the other windows have rear arches of late 14th-century date and modern tracery. The Tower (11 ft. by 10½ ft.) is of two stages, with a modern spire. The lower stage is of c. 1380, and has a lofty tower arch; the W. doorway is blocked, and the tracery in the window above it is modern. The Porch has blocked loops and a four-centred entrance archway, and is covered with cement. The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century.
Fittings—Bells: six; the last four by Anthony Chandler, 1673. Brass: in the chancel near the altar, to William Paine, c. 1620, an inscription with symbolical device. Chair: in the chancel, 17th-century. Chest: in the vestry, oak, with three locks, 17th-century. Font: octagonal, early 15th-century. Monuments: in the nave, on S.E., a recess containing stone slab with floriated cross, 14th-century; recess repaired. Niches: over the E. window of the aisle, inside, remains of three small niches. Plate: includes cup and cover paten, 1569. Poor Box: probably 17th-century.
Condition—Good. The nave arcade is much out of the perpendicular, and, to prevent further deflection, a truss has been thrown across the aisle against it, supported by a buttress on the aisle wall.
a (2). In village, fragment.
b (3). At Bull's Green, fragment.
a (4). Hoppers Hall, about ½ mile S. of the church, is a timber-framed and plastered building of two storeys and attics; the roofs are tiled. The main building faces N., and is of c. 1640–50; the plan is rectangular, with a small central porch wing in front, and a staircase wing at the back. At some later date, possibly in the same century, a wing was added at the E. end, projecting to the S., the N. wall being flush with that of the original building. The latter contains a lobby with a room on each side of it, and in the additional wing are the kitchen and dairy. There are gables at the E. and W. ends, and the wings are also gabled on the S. Opposite the porch is a central chimney stack, built of thin bricks, and at the E. end is another stack of later date, with moulded cornices. Interior—Two rooms have chamfered oak beams, with ogee stops, and wide fireplaces, reduced for modern grates; over one fireplace a painting in oils, of a hunting scene, is probably of the same date as the main building. The kitchen fireplace has a heavy oak lintel, and several oak doors remain. The staircase, probably also original, has turned balusters, plain square newels with ball heads, and a moulded handrail.
a (5). Cherry Tree Farm, about ¾ mile S. of the church, is a 17th-century rectangular building of two storeys, with a projecting central wing at the back. The walls are of brick, covered with modern pebble-dash, but at the back of the house a little of the original plaster remains. The roof is tiled. There is a large central chimney stack with four shafts set diagonally. The double front door is moulded and panelled, and is probably of oak, now painted.
a (6). Cottages, two, on the N. side of the green, form a rectangular building of plastered timber and brick, of late 17th-century date; the roof is tiled; the front has been altered in the 19th century. Over three small, gabled dormer windows are the initials W.B.D. and the date 1694, in raised plaster. The central chimney stack is of plain brick.
a (7). Whipping Post, near the cottages, is about 6 ft. high; the rough iron handcuffs still remain.