An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Hertfordshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1910.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
41. EAST BARNET.
(1). Parish Church of St. Mary, stands on a hill about ½ mile S.E. of Oakleigh Park railway station. The old walls are covered with rough-cast, and have stone dressings; the roofs are of tiles and slate. The church was re-built in the 19th century, except the Nave, which is almost entirely of c. 1140; the S. doorway of that date has been re-set in the modern S. aisle, and some 16th-century material re-used in the chancel.
Architectural Description—The Chancel has, re-set in the N. wall, a 16th-century arch opening into the organ chamber, and a square-headed window of two uncusped lights, much restored. The Nave (40 ft. by 19 ft.) has walls 3 ft. thick; in the N. wall are three small original windows with round heads, and between the second and third is a blocked doorway with a similar head; all the stonework is of clunch. The westernmost window in the S. wall retains its original inner round head, but the rest of the stonework is modern. The South Aisle has a S. doorway with a plain, round head, of c. 1140, re-set; in the chamfered label is a grotesque carved head. The Roof of the nave retains its old tie-beams, and has an arched plastered ceiling.
Fittings—Glass: in N. window of nave, small fragments of old glass. Plate: includes silver-gilt covered cup of 1636. Recess: in N. wall of nave, probably 15th-century. Slabs: in the chancel floor, several of the 17th century.