BHO

Eynesbury Hardwicke

Page 88

An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.

Citation:

Table of contents

28. EYNESBURY HARDWICKE (C.f.).

(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXVI S.W., (b)XXVII N.E.)

Eynesbury Hardwicke is a parish in two almost detached portions, lying S.E. of St. Neots.

Secular

a(1). Homestead Moat and enclosure at Chapel Yard, 3 m. E. of Eynesbury church. The enclosure is rectangular and lies to the S.W. of the moat. The adjoining field contains a number of ditches and banks.

b(2). Homestead Moat, on the N. of the road to Abbotsley and 1¾ m. S.E. of Eynesbury church.

b(3). Eynesbury Hardwicke, house and moat, 2½ m. S.S.E. of Eynesbury church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built about the middle of the 17th century with a cross-wing at the N.E. end; there is a modern wing at the S.W. end. Inside the building one room has an original moulded ceiling-beam and the first-floor rooms have chamfered ceiling-beams. There is also a late 17th-century panelled door and a door made up of 17th-century panelling.

The Moat surrounds the house.

Condition—Of house, fairly good.

a(4). Caldecote Manor Farm, house and moat, 2¾ m. E.S.E. of Eynesbury church. The House is of two storeys with attics, timber-framed with brick facing; the roofs are covered with tiles and slates. It was built early in the 17th century on a modified L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the W. and N. Early in the 18th century the N. wing was remodelled and faced with brick; the rest of the house was subsequently faced with brick and otherwise altered. Inside the building there are some exposed ceiling-beams.

The Moat partly surrounds the house.

Condition—Of house, good.