An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
42. HARTFORD (C.d.).
a(1). Parish Church of All Saints stands on the left bank of the Ouse. The walls of the chancel and nave are of rubble, mostly of water-worn stones; the tower is of stone-rubble; the dressings are of Barnack and other freestone; the roofs are tiled. The Chancel may be of the 12th century, but this is only indicated by the thickness of the E. and N. walls. The N. arcade of the Nave was built c. 1180 and the S. arcade perhaps ten years later; the aisles are probably of the same size as the original aisles. The West Tower was built late in the 15th century. The church was restored in 1861 and in 1895; the North and South Aisles, the chancel-arch, the S. and part of the E. wall of the chancel, the North Vestry and the South Porch are modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (21¼ ft. by 13½ ft.) has no ancient features except the hollow-chamfered splays and two-centred rear-arch of the E. window, which are perhaps of the 14th century, re-set.
The Nave (37 ft. average by 17½ ft.) has a N. arcade of c. 1180 and of four bays with round arches of two orders, the outer square and the inner chamfered; the round columns have moulded capitals and bases; the respond-corbels and the W. arch are modern and the capitals partly restored. The S. arcade is of c. 1190 and of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the round columns have moulded capitals and restored bases; the respond-corbels and W. arch are modern.
The South Aisle is modern except for the E. wall; the re-set S. doorway of c. 1190 has a modern round arch and free shafts to the jambs with simple moulded capitals and one with a chamfered abacus rounded at the angle.
The West Tower (11 ft. square) is of late 15th-century date and of three stages, divided externally into four stages by string-courses and finished with an embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles at the angles and a trefoiled ogee and crocketed arch over the middle crenel of each side; the merlons have brick filling. The two-centred tower-arch is of three chamfered orders, the two outer continuous and the inner resting on semi-octagonal attached shafts with moulded capitals. In the S. wall is a doorway to the staircase with chamfered jambs and four-centred arch. The W. doorway, now blocked, has jambs and four-centred arch of two chamfered orders with a moulded label. The W. window is of three modern trefoiled lights in 15th-century casement-moulded jambs and four-centred arch with a moulded label and head-stops. The second stage has in the N., S. and W. walls a round-headed loop over which the string-course is mitred. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two pointed lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label and carved stops.
Fittings—Chest: under tower—with moulded styles and rails, front with three panels carved with conventional flowers and carved frieze, moulded and panelled lid and sides and flat ball-feet, early 17th-century. Font: square bowl with stop-chamfered angles, round middle shaft with simply moulded capital and base, four modern side-shafts and modern base, 13th-century. Miscellanea: Incorporated in E. wall and walls of modern aisles, various moulded stones; in E. wall, head of cross and foliated fragment. In rectory-garden— fragments of coffin-lids and other worked stones, 12th- and 13th-centuries.
a(2). Moat and Earthwork, possibly a small mount and bailey, at Sapley, 2 m. N.N.W. of the church, consists of a mound about 9 ft. high, surrounded by a wet ditch of oval form and with remains of a small outer enclosure on the S.
b(3). Manor House (Plate 72), on the N.W. side of the road, 320 yards N.E. of the church, is of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. The form of the house suggests a late 15th- or early 16th-century building with a central block and cross-wings at the N.E. and S.W. ends. At a later date the chimney-stack was inserted in the main block and early in the 18th century the house was remodelled and a block added at the back of the main building and a wing at the S.W. end. The S.E. front has gables at the ends of the cross-wings and a two-storeyed porch in the middle. The upper storey projects at the end of the S.W. cross-wing, on curved brackets. The 18th-century addition at the back has a moulded eaves-cornice and a three-light window lighting the staircase, the middle light of which has a round head. The central chimney-stack has panelled faces of late 17th- or early 18th-century date. Inside the building, the ground-floor room of the main block has an original moulded ceiling-beam. The walls are lined with early 18th-century panelling and the back wall is pierced by three round arches with panelled piers; the fireplace has a heavy moulded surround. The dining-room in the S.W. wing and the drawing-room beyond it are lined with early 18th-century panelling and the drawing-room has a fireplace with a marble surround and an eared architrave. The second room in the S.W. wing and the kitchen in the N.E. wing have exposed ceiling-beams. The early 18th-century staircase has turned balusters and cut strings with carved brackets. The first floor has some early 18th-century panelling, doors and a fireplace with a moulded surround.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
b(6). Cottage, on the W. side of the road, 160 yards N. of the church. The upper storey formerly projected in front, but has been under-built with modern brick; it retains its original moulded bressummer.
b(7). Manor Farm, house, now two tenements, 20 yards N.E. of (3), was built early in the 18th century. The walls are of brick. Inside the building, one room is lined with early 17th-century panelling, re-used, and has an early 18th-century fireplace with a moulded surround and cornice.