An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
50. HURST, OLD (D.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. XVIII N.E.)
Old Hurst is a small village and parish, 4 m. N. of St. Ives. St. Peter's Chapel and Manor Farm are the principal monuments.
(1). Chapel of St. Peter stands on the N. side of the village. The walls are of pebble-rubble and re-used freestone, with dressings of Ketton and Barnack stone; the roof is tiled. The 12th-century pillar-piscina is evidence of a previous building on the site, but the existing structure, consisting of a continuous Chancel and Nave, was built late in the 13th century. The chapel was restored in 1868, the E. wall re-built in 1903 and small restorations made in 1924. The North Vestry is modern.
The chapel is interesting as a small but complete example of its period.
Architectural Description—The Chancel and Nave (43¾ ft. by 18½ ft.) are structurally undivided. The details are all of late 13th-century date, unless otherwise described. In the re-built E. wall is an original window of two plain pointed lights with a quatre-foiled spandrel in a two-centred head, with a moulded label and head-stops; the reveals and mullion are moulded. In the N. wall are three windows, the easternmost of two plain pointed lights, with a plain spandrel in a two-centred head with a moulded label; the middle window is of two plain pointed lights with a moulded label carried horizontally across above the heads of the lights; the westernmost window is of one plain lancet-light. The N. doorway has chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the S. wall are three windows, the easternmost is partly restored and of two plain pointed lights, with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head, with a moulded label and head-stops, one of which is modern; the middle window is similar to the easternmost but unrestored; the westernmost window is of one lancet-light but appears to have been formerly of two lights; it has a re-used moulded label, with head-stops; the S. doorway has an arch of two moulded orders, the inner trefoiled and continued down the jambs, and the outer order two-centred and springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and defaced bases; the moulded label has head-stops, one of which is modern. In the W. wall is a window of two plain pointed lights, with a pierced spandrel in a two-centred head with a moulded label; the mullion has been restored; in the gable are two modern recesses for bells.
Fittings—Altar: In chancel—stone slab with chamfered under - edge, one consecration-cross, mediæval. Bells: two; 1st by James Keene, 1630; 2nd, probably by Newman, 1705. Chest: In vestry—small, of hutch-type, incised ornament to front top-rail, late 17th-century. Coffin-lid: In churchyard—two fragments, one with part of a scrolled cross, 13th-century. Doors: On N. door —portions of iron hinges, repaired and forged to modern work, stamped initials R.M., 17th-century; on S. doorway—similar portions of hinges, 13th-century. Font: (Plate 9) octagonal bowl, each face with 'window-tracery' of three lights, double-chamfered moulding at top and moulded under-side; stem with central octagonal stem with eight attached shafts having moulded capitals and bases and common moulded plinth, late 13th-century. Piscina: In chancel—in S.E. angle, pillar-piscina with round shaft, having lozenge checker-ornament and decayed moulded base, late 12th-century, bowl modern. Plate: includes cup, without marks, but probably of late 16th-century date, and a paten perhaps of the same date. Sedilia: Sills of N.E. and S.E. windows carried down to form seats, late 13th-century. Stoup: In S. wall—E. of doorway, rounded recess, with remains of bowl, mediæval.
(2). Homestead Moat, 260 yards E. of the chapel.
(3). Manor Farm, house and barn, 250 yards S.E. of the chapel. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are covered with slates. The N.E. wing of the house is of late 16th- or early 17th-century date, but the front cross-wing was completely altered or re-built in the 18th century. On the N.E. gable is a chimney-stack with three grouped diagonal shafts. Inside the building, the fine original staircase (Plate 164) is of well-type with symmetrically turned balusters, moulded and enriched strings and hand-rails and moulded newels with enriched terminals and moulded pendants; on the first floor there is a second balustrade with enriched balusters. The kitchen door has old strap-hinges with trefoiled ends.
The Barn (Plate 150), W. of the house, is timber-framed with brick nogging; the roof is thatched. It is probably of 17th-century date and has aisles.
Condition—Of house, good.
(4). Range of two cottages, about 370 yards S.S.E. of the chapel, is of one storey with attics; the walls are now mostly of brick and the roofs are covered with corrugated iron. It was built, probably, in the 17th century, but has been much altered.