An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
10. BROUGHTON (D.d.).
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XIV S.E., (b)XVIII N.E.)
Broughton is a parish and village 5 m. N.E. of Huntingdon. The church is the principal monument.
a(1). A stone coffin, possibly Roman, was discovered late in the 19th century in the neighbourhood of Rectory Farm. It is now preserved in the Rectory garden.
a(2). Parish Church of All Saints stands in the village. The walls of the chancel and tower are of rubble, those of the aisles of pebble-rubble; the walls of the nave are cement-rendered; the dressings generally are of Barnack stone and the spire is faced with ashlar; the roofs are covered with tiles and lead. The E. wall of the Nave and the base of the chancel-arch are of the 12th century. The Chancel, nave, N. and South Aisles were re-built c. 1300–10 and a W. tower and spire were added soon after. The South Porch was built c. 1340. Late in the 15th or early in the 16th century the West Tower was largely re-built, the spire presumably reconstructed, the North Aisle re-built and the clearstorey added. The church has been several times restored in modern times, the first time in 1845, when the North Vestry was added, and the last time in 1907.
The church is not of great architectural interest but among the fittings the paintings are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (34 ft. by 17 ft.) has a modern E. window but the E. buttresses are of c. 1300 and have moulded drips to the tabling; the corbelling at the base of the gable is carved with a head and a mask-stop on the N. and with two heads on the S. In the N. walls are two windows, the eastern of late 13th-century date and of two lights with a modern head and mullion and old splays, rear-arch and jambs; the western window, of two pointed lights, is largely modern externally but has old wide splays and rear-arch; the doorway to the vestry is modern but perhaps incorporates old material. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern modern except the splays and rear-arch which are of late 13th-century date; the western window is of early 14th-century date and of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head; the jambs and tracery are moulded and the mullion and label are modern; the window-recess is carried down for a single-light 'low-side' window with moulded jambs and modern shutter; further E. is a late 13th-century doorway with moulded two-centred arch and modern label; the jambs have each an attached shaft with moulded capital and defaced base; the voussoirs of the rear-arch are painted (see Paintings). The two-centred chancel-arch, of c. 1300, is of three chamfered orders, the two outer dying on to the responds and the inner resting on attached shafts with moulded capitals and chamfered bases; the base on the S. is modern; the shafts stand on a projecting wall which appears to represent the outer order of the 12th-century arch; the angle-stones on the S. side are original and on the W. face, to the N. of the opening, is a length of the original chamfered impost.
The North Vestry is modern but in the N. wall is a window of two square-headed lights partly of old materials; some of the quoins of the building are also old.
The Nave (53¼ ft. by 20 ft.) has in the E. wall at the N. end, the doorway to the rood-loft; it is of late 15th-century date with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The N. and S. arcades are of c. 1300–10 and are each of four bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders with a moulded label on the nave side and head-stops, mostly grotesques; over the N.E. respond is a mask-stop and over the first pier on the N. both label and stop have been cut away; the octagonal columns have moulded capitals and bases and square plinths, the latter partly restored; the base of the middle column on the N. is of 'hold-water' type and of the 13th century, re-used. The responds have attached half columns but the E. responds have no bases. The late 15th-century clearstorey has on each side three windows, each of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label.
The North Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has in the E. wall the doorway to the late 15th-century rood-loft stair-turret; it has a chamfered N. jamb and two-centred head; the stairs have been removed from the turret but a length of the moulded stone handrail remains. The E. window of the aisle and the three windows in the N. wall are all of late 15th- or early 16th-century date and are each of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label and casement-moulded jambs. The early 14th-century N. doorway has been re-set; it has chamfered jambs, two-centred head and moulded label with mask-stops.
The South Aisle (9½ ft. wide) has an E. window and three windows in the S. wall all similar in date and detail to the windows of the N. aisle. The S. doorway of c. 1300 has a two-centred arch of one richly moulded order with a moulded label and mask-stops; the jambs have each an attached shaft with moulded capital and defaced base.
The West Tower (11 ft. square) is of three stages with a moulded plinth; it was largely re-built early in the 16th century and all the details below the spire are of this date; the spire is of early 14th-century character but must have been reconstructed when the tower was re-built. The two-centred tower-arch is of three hollow-chamfered orders, the two outer continuous on the E. face and the inner resting on attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. In the N. wall the doorway to the stair-turret has chamfered jambs and four-centred head. The W. window is of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a four-centred head with a moulded label. The second stage has in the S. wall a window of one four-centred light in a square head. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of two four-centred lights in a four-centred head with a moulded label and re-used carved stops. At the base of the spire is a moulded cornice. The spire is of broachform and of ashlar; it has two tiers of spire-lights, four in each tier; the lower are each of two trefoiled lights with tracery in a gable; the upper are each of a single trefoiled light in a gable; the capping of the spire is modern.
The South Porch is of c. 1340 and has a two-centred outer archway of two chamfered orders dying on to the chamfered responds and a moulded label with head-stops of mask form. The side walls have each a window of two trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a square head.
The Roof of the nave is of flat-pitched, tie-beam type, largely modern but incorporating the following—two wall-posts at the E. end with carved figures of apostles, St. Andrew on the N. and a man with a book on the S.; six figures of angels on the soffits of the intermediate tie-beams as follows, on N. (a) with scroll, (b) with organ, (c) with a dulcimer; on S. (a) with harp, (b) with book, (c) with lute; upper part of a figure of apostle with book; possibly some of the main timbers; all of c. 1500, also part of a 17th-century dentilled cornice on the S. side. The roof of the N. aisle has rough chamfered tie-beams, one with a curved brace, rough rafters and purlins, of doubtful date.
Fittings—Bells: four; 2nd by T. Norris, 1616; 4th by Thomas Norris, 1661. Brass and Indents. Brass: In nave—of [Lawrence Martun, 1509, and Agnes his wife] head of a man and part of body in civil costume; symbol of St. Luke in N.E. corner of slab and shield with rebus "L.M." with a tun below; indents of woman wearing pedimental head-dress; blank shield above man and marginal inscription with indents of symbols of evangelists at remaining corners. Indents: In nave—(1) of figures of priest and civilian under crocketed canopies divided by a shaft and with buttresses at sides, inscription below and circle for symbols of evangelists at corners, scroll above figure of priest, c. 1460; (2) of civilian and wife with inscription below, much worn and slab broken. Chair: In chancel—with turned front legs and supports to arms, carved front rail below seat, back carved with arabesque-work and shaped head, first half of 17th century, one arm modern. Coffin-lid: In Rectory garden— refixed on W. garden wall, with foliated cross and double omega ornament in middle of shaft, 13th- or early 14th-century. Communion Table and Rails. Table: In S. aisle—with shaped bow legs in front, vertical, turned legs at back and ornamental shaped rails, early 18th-century. Rails: In chancel and also in S. aisle—with small turned balusters, perhaps of same date as table. Font: with square bowl having tapering sides with shallow arcading on each face in three bays with round arches and flat pilasters with small cushion-capitals; double-chamfered base, N.W. and S.W. corners at top repaired, c. 1200. Glass: In S. aisle, in first window of S. wall, small roundel with crowned IHS, early 16th-century. Monuments: In churchyard— (1) to Thomas Cox, 1705, head-stone; (2) to Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Wells, 1699–70, carved head-stone; (3) to Thomas Wells, 1700–1. Paintings: In chancel—on rear-arch of S. doorway, painted joints and voussoirs, alternately red and with scrolled mottling to imitate marble, late 13th-century. In nave—over chancel-arch, a 'doom'; middle figure obliterated, angels above including one with a trumpet, to the N. of the middle of figure; further down on N. side, group of the elect kneeling and nude except for crowns, mitre, hats, etc., in front of them a cloaked saint with a mitre and a crozier, probably St. Peter, and attended by an angel; behind him the walls and buildings of the new Jerusalem; on S. a group of the damned being driven into Hell's mouth by angels with drawn swords; various devils below. In lower register on N. the Resurrection of the dead, ten nude figures emerging from graves in a green field; on S. four compartments divided by shafts supporting a roof, red background with flames below and figures of demons torturing the souls of the lost, the whole representing Hell; two compartments of this subject returned along the S. wall. On S. wall, above the compartments last described, two figure-subjects, one above the other —(a) the expulsion of Adam and Eve from the garden, heads of two figures and of angel defaced, tree in background, field green with enclosure of garden red; (b) Adam delving and Eve spinning, cloaked figures with green background and flowers, late 15th-century. Further W. on same wall, two portions of 'black-letter' inscription on a white ground. On W. wall, fragment of similar 'black-letter' inscription. In N. aisle—on N. wall, W. of doorway, faint traces of panel. In S. aisle—on S. wall, E. of doorway, large ornamental scrolled panel with the Lord's Prayer in 'black-letter'; further W., inscription and date "William H . . . . and Thomas Cor . . (?) Churchward. 1632." This is probably the date of all the 'black-letter' inscriptions. Piscinae: In chancel—double, with moulded jambs, trefoiled heads and octofoiled drains, central shaft modern, 13th-century. In S. aisle— with chamfered jambs, trefoiled ogee head and quatre-foiled drain, early 14th-century. Plate: includes a cup of 1597 and a paten of 1620 inscribed "The gift of Edward Hodges to the Parish Church of Broughton in the countie of Huntingdon, the six and twentith daye of Februarii in the yeare of our Lord God 1620." Seating: In nave—on N. side, seven pews with panelled ends and panelled back to western pew; also front panelling to front pew with panelled ends, all restored and two with modern seats; the ends to the front have the roll from the top continued down the sides. On S. side, seven pews with panelled ends and front desk in three panels with panelled ends, back of back pew in ten panels, all pews have been restored in places, one has a completely modern seat, all other seats have been widened; the ends of one pew have the roll from the top continued down the sides finishing with small bases, probably early 16th-century. Miscellanea: Used as a coping stone by the S. gateway to the churchyard on the churchyard-wall is a large coped stone, possibly a defaced coffin-lid. On S. wall of tower, portion of (?) plaster or stone decoration.
a(3). Homestead Moat and enclosure, about 600 yards N.E. of the church. The rectangular island has traces of foundations and there is a slight outer bank enclosing a much larger area.
a(4). The Rectory, 100 yards W.S.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics, timber-framed and plastered; the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century on a T-shaped plan with the cross-wing at the S.E. end. There are modern additions on the S.E. and S.W. The upper storey projects at the N.E. end of the cross-wing and has a small much altered bay-window; the roof has been hipped back but the gable retains the two original turned pendants at the base. The eaves to the return wall of the wing have a plaster cove. The central chimney-stack of the cross-wing is of the 17th century and has grouped diagonal shafts. The chimney-stack of the main block has a square base with the date 1(6?) 76.
a(5). House (Plate 148), on the W. side of the road, 120 yards S.S.W. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 17th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and W. The E. front has a projecting porch of two storeys with a hipped roof. The entrance-doorway has a shaped head. The front block has curvilinear Dutch gables at the ends and a heavy square chimney-stack. Inside the building a room on the ground-floor has an original chamfered ceiling-beam. A room of the first floor has an original fireplace, with moulded surround and cornice and a panel above; another room is lined with original panelling.
The garden-wall in front of the house is original and has a gateway flanked by two piers with moulded cornices; the gateway is approached by a flight of curved steps.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded; the roofs are tiled or thatched. Some of the buildings have original chimney-stacks and exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
a(6). House (Plate 163), S.E. of White Hall Farm and 300 yards E.S.E. of the church, was built late in the 16th century. It probably consisted of a central block with cross-wings at the N. and S. ends, but the N. cross-wing has disappeared. The timber-framed construction is exposed and the chimney-stack of the main block has grouped diagonal shafts of the 17th century. Inside the building one room has an original moulded beam and the roofs have tie-beams with curved braces.
a(7). Cottage, on the E. side of the road, 70 yards N.N.E. of (6), has an original central chimney-stack with grouped diagonal shafts.
a(8). Cottage, on the E. side of Illings Lane, 360 yards E.N.E. of the church, has an original central chimney-stack with a square panelled base and engaged shafts.
a(9). Cottage, three tenements, opposite (8), has an original central chimney-stack with a cross-shaped shaft set diagonally.
a(10). Cottages, range of three tenements, 120 yards W. of (9), have corrugated iron roofs. One chimney-stack is original and has three shafts set diagonally.
a(11). Barn at Manor Farm, 130 yards N.N.W. of (10), is of five bays.
a(12). Little Farm, house 50 yards N.E. of the church, has an original chimney-stack with the date 1642 and four detached shafts set diagonally. Inside the building the middle room has an original moulded beam and an 18th-century corner-cupboard.
b(13). Barns at Lodge Farm, 1 m. S.S.W. of the church. One barn is aisled and of three bays, the other is of five bays and has queen-post roof-trusses.
a(14). White Hall Farm, house, 170 yards E.S.E. of the church, is built of brick, with later additions on the W. and S. The porch on the E. side has a moulded beam at the base of the gable, with the initals and date R.P. 1647.