An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in London, Volume 2, West London. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1925.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
Fittings—Bells: eight; 3rd dated 1657; 4th, 5th and 7th, given by Nicholas Crisp, 1639; 6th, the "Town Bell," 1639. Chairs: In chancel— two, with richly carved backs and baluster-legs connected by shaped framing, probably late 17th-century. Font: of marble with circular bowl and baluster stem, late 17th-century, modern surround and cover. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—against N. wall, (1) of James Smith, Alderman of London, 1667, and Sarah (Cotton), his second wife, 1680–1, wall-monument (Plate 11), of black and white marble, upper part in form of a moulded sarcophagus surmounted by a pediment enclosing a shield-of-arms and supporting a bust of the man flanked by seated figures of women; lower part of monument in form of a base with acanthus enrichment; monument restored 1917. (2) to Rt. Hon. Edmond Lord Sheffield, Earl of Mulgrave, Baron Butterwick, K.G., 1646, restored white marble tablet with shield-of-arms, erected by his wife. In N. aisle— on W. wall, (3) to Sir Nicholas Crisp, Bart., 1665, cenotaph of black and white marble, in form of a pilaster with a broken pediment at the top supporting a bronze bust of Charles I ascribed to F. Fanelli, base brought out on carved consoles to support a pedestal and urn, and having a cartouche-of-arms in front. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (4) to Sir Edward Nevill, 2nd Justice of the Common Pleas, 1705, and Frances, his wife, 1714, white marble tablet with Composite columns and a cartouche-of-arms. In churchyard and in shed—fragments of other monuments including: (5) to Mary (Trussell), wife of John Greene, 1657; (6) to Francis Wolley, 1659, tablet, with shield-of-arms; (7) to Elizabeth Lannoy, 1700–1. Floor-slabs: In churchyard —N. of chancel, (1) to Sir Nicholas Crispe, Bart., 1665, with shield-of-arms (brought here from St. Mildred, Bread Street), (2) to Louis de St. Delis, Marquis de Heucourt, 1703, with two shields-of-arms. Plate: includes two cups with cover-patens of 1656, each with inscription and shield-of-arms of Smith; two flagons of 1708 and beadle's staff with metal knob dated 1704. Pulpit: (1) formerly in All Hallows the Great, Upper Thames Street (Plate 68); of oak, hexagonal, angles covered with foliage and cherub-heads, sides with elliptical inlaid panels, with frames of foliage and flowers, moulded and carved base on a restored Composite column as stem, stairs with turned balusters partly original, late 17th-century; (2) formerly in this church, but now at St. Mark, Hammersmith; hexagonal with panelled and inlaid sides, late 17th-century. Miscellanea: In N. porch —two carved stone panels with achievement of the arms of the City of London, and Crisp impaling Prescot, 17th-century, and a stone dated 1630.
a(3). Church of St. Katherine, about ¼m. S.W. of the Prison of Wormwood Scrubbs and 1¼ m. N. by W. of Ravenscourt Park, is a modern building, but contains the following fittings removed from the dismantled church of St. Catherine Coleman in the City. Monuments and Floor-slab: Monuments: In S. chapel—on W. wall, (1) to Luke Lucy, 1663, and Anne, his mother, 1653, black marble tablet in moulded frame with borders of scrolls, cherub-heads and small medallions carved with female busts. Outside vestry door, cut down and relaid as pavement, (2) to Thomas Knight ..., Mary, his wife, 1697, seven children and one grandchild, with skull and cross-bones at top, probably head-stone. Floor-slab: Used as lower step to door and with inscription partly covered up, to David Papillion and Anna Mary, his wife, 1675.
b(4) Garage, on the E. side of Queen Street, 150 ft. E. of (2), is modern, but includes the former S. front of Bradmore House, re-erected facing the street. The front is of two storeys and is built of red brick and stone. It dates from c. 1700. The central bay is flanked by Composite pilasters, supporting an entablature, above which is a stone balustrade with vases. In the side bays the main cornice is ramped down and continued across to an angle pilaster with a separate entablature. Above the cornice is a wrought-iron balustrade following the ramp. The doorway and windows have round heads and the middle window on the first floor is flanked by Doric pilasters. Inside the building, one room on the first floor has original panelling refixed; it has a richly carved entablature, and the window and door-openings are flanked by Corinthian pilasters; the round door-head and panels have carved spandrels.
a(5). Public Library, Ravenscourt Park, about ¾ m. N.W. of (2) (formerly Pallingswick Manor House), is of two storeys with attics and basement; it is built of red brick and the roofs are covered with slate. The basement probably formed part of a late 16th-century house, but the superstructure was entirely rebuilt c. 1720. The librarian's wing was added in the 19th century. The basement, originally the ground-floor, has in the middle of the E. front an original studded door with later hinges. Inside the building, in the basement, is an original doorway with moulded and stop-chamfered jambs and head and a moulded and panelled door; two other doorways have frames and another has a moulded and battened door, all original. In the S.E. room is some original panelling with some of the 17th century. On the first floor the N.E. room has some early 17th-century panelling. On the second floor, refixed on the landing is a door-case of c. 1640 with an eared and scrolled architrave enriched with carving and surmounted by an entablature and broken segmental pediment enclosing a blank cartouche. In the N.E. room is a fireplace of c. 1640 with moulded architrave and carved enrichments.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are covered with tiles or slate. Most of the buildings are of late 17th-century date.
b(9). House, two tenements, Nos. 11 and 12, 430 yards S.W. of (2) has a brick band between the storeys. A passage at the W. end has an original moulded oak lintel and the first-floor windows have solid frames.
b(10). House, No. 21, now offices, 100 yards N.W. of (9), is of two storeys with attics and basement and of early 18th-century date with later additions. The front has a projecting brick band at the first-floor level and an enriched eaves-cornice of wood with carved modillions; the back is of similar character but the cornice has plain modillions. Inside the building the first-floor rooms and the staircase are panelled and have moulded cornices and dado-rails and the back room has an original chimney-piece with moulded surround and shelf with pulvinated frieze. The doors generally are six-panelled, but on the top landing are three of moulded battens. Between the staircase hall and entrance passage is a round-headed opening with moulded archivolt, panelled pilasters with moulded cappings and carved key-block. The staircase has a moulded string and handrail, twisted balusters and square newels with terminal pendants and ball-finials to the upper flight.
b(11). West Lodge, No. 27, house, now offices, 100 yards N.W. of (10), though of early 18th-century date, has been much altered. Inside the building one of the ground-floor rooms is lined with panelling and has a moulded cornice and dado-rail; the fireplace is original and of marble with a bolection-moulded surround and shelf.
b(13). House, now two houses, Nos. 22 and 24, on the N. side of the road, 730 yards W. of (2), is of three storeys with basement; it is much altered and was heightened late in the 18th century. Some windows at the back have original frames and sashes. Inside the building the late 17th-century staircase has moulded string and handrail with turned balusters. On the second-floor landing is some moulded panelling and a panelled door with the old lock and drop-handle, all of the same date.
b(14). Old Ship Inn, on the S. side of the road, about 1,000 yards W. of (2), has been almost entirely rebuilt except for the porch which is of brick with rusticated pilasters at the sides and a rusticated semi-circular arch.
b(16). House, No. 5, Western Terrace, nearly 1 m. W. of (2), is of L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S.W. and N.W. On the N. side is an original window with solid mullion and transom. The staircase has moulded strings and rail, turned balusters below and shaped balusters at the top.
b(17). House, two tenements, Nos. 205–207, Hammersmith Road, on S. side of road, 430 yards E.N.E. of (2), is of early 18th-century date, but has been much altered and has the lower windows converted into shop fronts; at the eaves-level is a wooden modillioned cornice.
b(18). Manor Hall, house on the N. side of Great Church Lane, about 360 yards E. of (2), is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the 18th century and has modern additions on the E. and W. The original entrance in the S. front is flanked by Ionic pilasters supporting an entablature and pediment. Inside the building, the original staircase has carved stair-ends and turned newels and balusters. Some rooms have original panelling.