An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in London, Volume 4, the City. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1929.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
15. CRIPPLEGATE WARD WITHIN.
Cripplegate Ward Within consists of the parishes of St. Albans Wood Street, St. Alphege London Wall, St. Mary the Virgin Aldermanbury and St. Michael Wood Street, and parts of the parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St. John Zachary, St. Laurence Jewry, St. Mary Magdalene Milk Street, St. Mary Staining, St. Olave Silver Street, St. Peter Westcheap and St. Vedast Foster Lane. The principal monuments are the churches of St. Alban Wood Street and St. Mary Aldermanbury, the Brewers' Hall and the Parish Clerks' Hall. An angle-bastion of the Roman town-wall stands in the N.W. angle of this ward; the part existing above ground is entirely of mediæval or later date (see London, Vol. III, p. 104). A further portion of the town-wall survives on the N. side of St. Alphege's churchyard and is partly incorporated in the remains of old St. Alphege church (Monument No. 4). The part above ground is mediæval and the eastern part, beyond the church-remains, is capped with late 15th-century red brick including six merlons; three crenels are coped with 17th-century slabs of Portland stone and both wall and merlons have remains of brick diapering (see London, Vol. III, p. 90).
(1) Parish Church of St. Alban, on the E. side of Wood Street and N. side of Love Lane, is built of Portland stone and rubble or brickwork, cement rendered; the tower is faced with ashlar. The roofs are covered with lead. The church was re-built in 1633–34 by Inigo Jones and was partially destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. It was restored or re-built by Sir Christopher Wren in 1682–87, at a cost of £3,165 0s. 8d., the outer walls of the earlier building being perhaps retained; the tower is undoubtedly the work of Wren. The whole building was restored and the apsidal end to the chancel added in the 19th century. The church is a good example of late Gothic work, and amongst the fittings the hour-glass with its stand and the Laudian altar-frontal are unusual features.
Architectural Description—The Chancel and Nave (72½ ft. by 19½ ft.) are continuous, the apse at the E. end being entirely modern. The N. and S. arcades are each of four bays; the piers have four engaged shafts divided by hollows and having moulded capitals and splayed bases; the arches are moulded and four-centred; the last bay on the N. is blocked at the back by the tower, and the last two bays on the S. are similarly blocked by an adjoining building occupying the site of the old Rectory. The first three bays of the clearstorey on both sides have each a pair of windows each of two cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head; the third pair on the S. are blocked; the walls are finished externally with a moulded Renaissance cornice of wood. From the capital of the inner shaft of each pier, rises a triple vaulting-shaft with moulded base and capital, from which springs a ribbed lierne-vault of plaster; the ribs are moulded and have foliage-bosses at the intersections. The W. doorway has a modern head and original jambs, having externally three grouped shafts with moulded capitals; the W. window is of five cinque-foiled and transomed lights with tracery in a two-centred head; it has been considerably restored. The W. gable has a panelled parapet, each panel trefoiled at the head and base and at the S.W. angle is a pilaster buttress of two recessed orders.
The N. Aisle (56 ft. by 13¾ ft.) is three bays long with an embattled parapet; in the E. wall is a window of three cinque-foiled lights in a segmental-pointed head. In the first bay of the N. wall is a moulded arch with responds, opening to the N. chapel, and similar to those of the nave-arcades; in the other two bays are as many windows uniform with that in the E. wall.
The N. Chapel (21¼ ft. by 12 ft.) has in the E., N. and W. walls a window similar to those in the N. aisle, but with segmental heads. In the N. wall is a doorway with moulded jambs and three-centred arch under a square external head and a segmental rear-arch.
The S. Aisle (38½ ft. by 11½ ft.) is two bays long and has a modern E. window. In the S. wall are two windows uniform with those in the N. aisle, but with moulded external labels. The aisles and chapel are covered by a quadripartite ribbed vault of plaster in each bay, springing from pseudo-Classic brackets against the walls and having small bosses at the intersections.
The Tower (12½ ft. by 11½ ft.), standing at the W. end of the N. aisle, is of four stages divided by moulded strings and finished with a modern pierced parapet and pinnacles. At the angles are flat pilaster buttresses, with intermediate buttresses, starting from the base of the third stage and resting on corbels carved with grotesque masks; all are tabled back below the parapet. The N. and W. walls of the ground-stage have each a window of three trefoiled lights with tracery in a two-centred head with restored external labels. In the S. wall is a doorway from the nave with a moulded four-centred arch in a square head with quatrefoils in the spandrels. The second stage has a plain round-headed doorway in the E. wall and two sex-foiled round windows in the N. and W. walls. The third stage has two louvered openings in each face, with moulded external reveals and two-centred heads and labels. The bell-chamber has two windows in each face, each of two trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in the two-centred head and a moulded label.
Fittings—All the fittings not otherwise described are of late 17th-century date. Altar-frontal: of black velvet with short fringe and embroidered date 1631 in middle. Bell: by I.P., 1704. Communion Table: In chancel—with turned and twisted legs, carved top rail and inlaid top, from St. Michael's Wood Street. For Communion Rails see Screen. Doors: in W. doorway, eightpanel, two folds; in N. chapel-doorway, two-panel; in tower doorway, six-panel, two folds, all panels moulded; plain, with strap-hinges, in second stage of tower. Hour-glass case and stand of bronze, case square, with embossed figures of angels and cherubs, columns at angles and cresting at each end of crosses and fleurs-de-lis; stand fixed on pulpit, with square socket and twisted stem. Monuments: In N. aisle—on N. wall, (1) to Benjamin Harvey, 1684, marble tablet with Corinthian columns at sides resting on enriched consoles and supporting entablature with broken and scrolled pediment, enclosing achievement-of-arms; (2) to Richard Wynne, 1688, and Joyce his wife, marble cartouche with festoons at sides; above, two carved cherubs holding back curtain and displaying an urn beneath a canopy; on apron, eagle holding shield-of-arms; on W. wall, (3) to William Harvie, 1597, and his first two wives, Maudlin, 1581, and Margarett, 1593, and Robert his eldest son, 1608, and Robert's wife Sara (Audley), 1638, black marble tablet (Plate 27) with white marble drapery, pilasters at sides terminating in consoles, and supporting entablature surmounted by flaming-vases and achievement-of-arms; below, shelf with carved consoles, cherub-heads and cartouche-of-arms of the Grocers' Company flanked by swags, formerly in St. Michael's Wood Street; (4) to William Harvey, 1677, alderman and sheriff, 1663, son of the above Robert, and Hugh his second son, 1679, white marble tablet flanked by two Corinthian columns on carved consoles, with entablature, broken segmental pediment with cartouche-of-arms with cherub-head above, moulded shelf below, apron carved with palm-branches and wreath with winged cherub-head, formerly in St. Michael's Wood Street. In Churchyard—N. side, to . . . Busby, 16—, later inscription added, flat slab. Organ-case: in N. aisle—part original, with three towers of pipes with pierced topcasing, enriched cornice, pierced frieze and cherub-heads on front. Plate: includes cup of 1566 and cover-paten of 1567, both chased; cup of 1606, given 1607 by Thomas Savadge; stand-paten of 1606; a pair of flagons of 1608 and 1624, given in 1630 by Mrs. Alice Pallmer to St. Olave Silver Street; flagon of 1625, given by John Busby in 1626; cup of 1625, given by Lady Margaret Savill in 1626, with shield-of-arms; a cup of 1630; a stand-paten of 1640; a strainer-spoon, late 17th-century; a beadle's staff-head of bronze bearing a figure, perhaps of St. Alban, with Roman helmet and sword, late 17th-century; four alms-dishes of pewter, mid 18th-century, but each having in the centre an earlier raised boss with the Stuart arms and supporters in enamel and three with the letters C.R. Pulpit (Plate 34): hexagonal, with panelled sides surmounted by carved festoons, enriched cornice and base-rail and ogee moulded stem; sounding-board, in N. chapel, with enriched cornice and inlaid and enriched soffit. Rainwater-heads: two, (1) on E. wall of N. chapel with leopard's face; (2) on N. wall of N. aisle, dated 1684. Royal Arms: under tower—on E. wall, carved wood, shield repainted with the Hanoverian Arms. Screen: In N. aisle—at E. end, made up of 17th-century woodwork, including carved and pierced panels from pews and turned and twisted balusters from communion rail. Seating: In nave—at W. end, one high pew with moulded panels and pierced carved panels at top. Miscellanea: In chapel—portions of oak panelling, some twisted balusters, moulded rail and two panels with carved frames and segmental heads inscribed with the Decalogue.
(2) Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin Aldermanbury stands on the W. side of Aldermanbury and the N. side of Love Lane. The walls are of Portland stone and the roofs are covered with slates and lead. The three lower stages of the West Tower, except the stair-turret and the outer facing, are probably of 1437, when the church was re-built. The church was otherwise entirely destroyed in the Great Fire and re-erected probably on the old foundations by Sir Christopher Wren, 1670–86, at a cost of £5,237 3s. 6d. A large amount of ragstone from the ruins of St. Mary Magdalene Milk Street was incorporated in the new walls. The building was much restored and altered in 1864; it was again restored in 1923.
Architectural Description—The church preserves the mediæval plan of Nave and Chancel (74¼ ft. by 26 ft.) undivided structurally, North and South Aisles (9 ft. wide) projecting further westward than the nave, a West Tower (8 ft. by 10 ft.) and a modern Vestry.
Elevations. The E. Elevation has rusticated quoins and is in three bays; the middle bay of slight projection and greater height than the side bays, the parapets of which are brought up against it; it has a rusticated plinth and panelled podium and is finished with a moulded cornice and pediment enclosing a tympanum pierced by an elliptical opening with a border of carved bay-leaves; the round-headed central window has an eared architrave supported on either side by a large and enriched scroll-bracket; the side bays have each a modern window with a blocked 17th-century doorway below; the doorways are round-headed with eared architraves, scrolled keystones, moulded cornice and pediments and carved foliage enclosed by scrolls in the spandrels of the door-heads; the parapets have been considerably altered, but retain at the angles pedestals surmounted by pine-apple ornaments. The N. Elevation has a plain parapet and is in five bays with a round-headed window in each of the first four bays filled with modern tracery and a circular window in the last; in the middle bay is a semi-circular clearstorey opening. The S. Elevation has a plain parapet surmounted by modern pierced stonework and a pedestal finished with a pine-apple ornament at either end; it has five round-headed windows uniform with those in the N. elevation but with eared architraves, and between the last two a circular window with a square-headed doorway below with moulded architrave, panel keystone, moulded cornice and segmental pediment supported on curved console brackets. The W. Elevation has in each of the side bays a round-headed window similar to those in the N. and S. walls, above which the walls are finished with a plain raking parapet terminating against the tower in a volute. The W. Tower (10¼ ft. by 8 ft.) is of four stages and is surmounted by a clock-turret and weather-vane; the ground-stage has in the N. wall a segmental-headed doorway and in the S. wall a round-headed window; the second stage is finished by a moulded string and has round-headed windows in the N. and S. walls and a round-headed opening in the E. wall. The third stage has a round-headed opening in the E. wall and a round window in the N. wall. The bell-chamber has in each wall a round-headed window with moulded architrave, modern tracery and, below the sill, an apron with a sunk panel on the face; this stage has rusticated angles and is finished with a modillioned cornice surmounted by a plain parapet projecting at the angles and supporting a modern pierced parapet. The Clockturret is four-sided and of timber covered with lead; it is in two stages divided by a moulded cornice and has a pyramidal roof with concave sides surmounted by a vane; the lower stage has a clock-dial on the S. and E. sides, and the upper stage has a round headed opening on each side with a moulded architrave; the lower part of each opening is filled in with a balustrade of turned balusters.
Interior (Plate 77): The church and nave are divided from the aisle by colonnades of five bays with Composite columns standing on simple moulded bases with octagonal plinths and supporting an entablature consisting only of an architrave and enriched and modillioned cornice which is stopped against the E. and W. walls. In the W. wall of the nave is a round-headed archway opening into the tower, with panelled architrave and carved imposts; in the W. end of the N. wall of the N. aisle are two doorways opening into the vestry, one square-headed and the other modern. The chancel and nave are covered by a plaster barrel-vault intersected across the middle bay by a similar vault con-centric with the two semi-circular clearstorey windows in the N. and S. walls; the bays of the vault are marked by coffered bands with flower enrichment, and each bay is sub-divided into three panels by mouldings; each panel has a large central plaster enrichment of leaves, etc., circular in the middle panel and lozenge-shaped in those on either side. The aisles have flat plaster ceilings divided into panels by beams from the columns to the side walls; in the middle of each bay is a round ornament.
Fittings—All fittings, unless otherwise stated, are of late 17th-century date. Bells: two, 1st by Antony Bartlett, 1675. Brass: In N. aisle—on N. wall, to Mary Dive, 1711, daughter of George, Lord Jeffreys. Chairs (Plate 5): in chancel, two, with panelled and carved backs, carved arms, turned legs and shaped rails. Chest (Plate 45): In nave— with panelled and inlaid front, fluted frieze and carved rails, c. 1660. Doors: to tower, in two leaves, each of four panels with raised mouldings. In N. and S. doorways, each in two leaves with three panels, strap-hinges. Font: octagonal, with veined white marble bowl on octagonal baluster-shaped stem of stone. Monuments and Floor-slab: Monuments. In N. aisle—on N. wall (1) to Mary (Beach) wife of . . . Hack, 1704, cartouche with fruit and scroll-work on draped background, surmounted by a cartouche-of-arms flanked by winged cherub-heads and supporting urn; (2) to Richard Chandler, 1691, and John his brother, 1686, mural monument (Plate 24) with double round-headed recess containing two busts and flanked by Composite columns and pilasters on corbels with cherub-heads below and supporting entablature with broken pediment and achievement-of-arms; (3) inscription giving date of erection of Emery vault, 1673. Floor-slab: In S. aisle—on S. wall, to Ann, wife of Timothy Betton, 1713. Painting: former altar-piece, "The Last Supper," said to be by Constantine Francks. Panelling: on N. and S. walls and in W. tower, with raised panels in three heights, apparently made up of old pews. Royal Arms: on W. wall of nave, with modern painting. Miscellanea: over S. doorway, small figure of Virgin and Child.
(3) Parish Church of St. Alphege stood on the S. side of London Wall at the western angle of Aldermanbury. It was founded by William de Elsing in 1329 as the chapel of the Priory and Hospital of St. Mary-within-Cripplegate. The two lower stages of the tower and the W. wall and part of the E. wall of the vestibule date from the foundation, but the rest of the church was re-built in 1777 and pulled down in 1923. The tower appears to have been central, the structural quire forming the Hospital chapel and the nave being possibly the hospital itself. The N. front of the vestibule was re-built in 1914.
Architectural Description—The Tower (15 ft. by 16½ ft.) with the adjoining vestibule is now the only surviving part of the church. The ground-stage is 14th-century work, the original floor-level being 18 in. below the present one. In the E. wall is a two-centred arch of three orders moulded on the W. and chamfered on the E. face; within it is a moulded segmental-pointed sub-arch having the same springing-level. The label over this is brought out to support a bracket, forming the base of a shallow niche, with a cinque-foiled head. The east side of this arch is rebated for a door. In the N.E. angle is a small doorway, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head, opening to the turret-stairway, within the angle of the tower. In the N. wall is a two-centred arch of three chamfered orders, communicating with the vestibule, and in the S. wall is a single-light blocked window in a recess, with hollow-chamfered jambs and two-centred arch. In the W. wall is a blocked arch similar to that on the N. The W. wall of the Vestibule is 14th-century work and contains a blocked arch of two chamfered orders. In the E. wall is a recess, of the same date, with chamfered jambs and segmental-pointed head.
Fittings—Books: In vestry—copies of Jewel's Apology, 1609, and Erasmus' Paraphrase, 1555. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: (1) to Sir Rowland Hayward Kt. 1593, and his two wives Johan (Tilsworth) with seven children and Katherin (Smith) with eight children, wall-monument (Plate 22) with kneeling figures, four Corinthian columns, entablature, obelisks, one achievement and six shields-of-arms, bracketed shelf and strapwork apron. It was restored in 1777 and recoloured in 1881. (2) to John Edwards, pikemaker, 1646, and Katherine his wife, 1698, and Bridget Shorter, 1709, tablet with carved banners on top and shield-of-arms; erected 1676. Floor-slabs: now in the City of London Cemetery, Manor Park. (1) to the Rev. James Halsey, 1640, with shield-of-arms; (2) to Thomas Wright, 1700. At E. end (3) to Samuel Brewer, 1684; (4) to Thomas Dawson, 1682, with shield-of-arms; (5) to Thomas Evans, 1687–8; (6) to Hannah, wife of Herbert Aylwin, 1679; (7) to John Johnson, 1701–2. Miscellanea: On S. wall of tower, carved wood panel in high relief, part in the round, of the Martyrdom of St. Stephen, kneeling figure of saint in dalmatic and two figures, one in Roman armour, small figure of God the Father at top, painted and gilt, said to be of Spanish work, 16th-century. In cases in modern vestry—a few mediæval tiles, a spur and other relics. In vestibule—various worked stones, tiles, tracery, etc., mediæval.
(4) Remains of Old St. Alphege Church stand on the N. side of St. Alphege Churchyard and are of mediæval ragstone-rubble. They consist only of the N. wall, probably of the chancel, and the N.E. angle. The city-wall forms the lower part, but is now mostly concealed by the rise of the ground-level. The wall is covered externally by adjoining buildings and has lost all its internal facing. Fixed on the face of the town-wall is a stone tablet with skull and cross-bones and the inscription, "This gateway was erected at the proper cost and charge of Ralph Holbrook husband of Eliz'th Holbrook, neice of Laur. Copping Gent. who lyeth interr'd within. Anno Domini 1687."
(5) Haberdashers' Hall (parish of St. Mary Staining) stands on the N. side of Gresham Street. It was re-built about two years after the Great Fire of 1666, but was again burnt in 1838 except the Court Room and the Drawing Room above it. Part of the structure of the Livery Hall (69½ ft. by 30¾ ft.) was probably incorporated in the rebuilding. The screen is of oak, and of late 17th-century date. It is of five bays, with two round-arched openings flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters, supporting an enriched entablature and a balustrade with moulded panels and balusters. The middle and end bays have moulded and carved panels. Attached to the middle bay is a large clock inscribed "the gift of Sir Francis Forbes 1714." The screen is painted and has some modern repair. The Court Room (42 ft. by 24 ft.) N. of the hall has walls of brick with four square-headed windows in the W. wall. The ceiling of the court room has a large panel in the middle with semi-circular projections at the ends and a moulded and coved border with festoons; outside the border is a broad band of acanthus-ornament; the shaped panels at the ends of the ceiling are filled with elaborately modelled foliage, fruit, etc., with the arms and supporters of the company. The room has a moulded and enriched cornice. In the building are several pieces of carved woodwork from the old building; they include the arms and supporters (Plate 17) probably of Dudley, Earl of Leicester (but wrongly rendered), with the garter, angel holding shield made to face both ways, royal arms of Charles II, a figure of St. Catherine from the Company's barge, a small figure of Henry VIII, an elaborately carved cabinet containing a list of benefactors, and two carved festoons of fruit and flowers from door-heads, one having a cartouche of the Company's arms. A room on the first floor has been re-lined with 16th-century panelling from Pitley Manor House, Essex.
(6) Brewers' Hall stands on the N. side of Addle Street and is of two storeys to the hall and three to the rest of the building. The walls are of brick with Portland-stone dressings and the roofs are covered with slates. The Hall was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and re-built in 1670. The S. wing has been refaced in modern times, the loggia filled in and the outside staircase re-built.
The buildings occupy the N. and E. sides of a small courtyard, approached by a modern corridor and original entrance on the S. from Addle Street. The Hall with Kitchen and offices under it stands on the N. of the courtyard with the Court Room and other apartments to the N. of it. Other rooms adjoin the E. end of the hall and occupy the E. side of the courtyard. The hall is approached by an outside staircase and there are two internal staircases, one behind the screens of the hall and one to the W. of the Court Room. The Main Entrance (Plate 150) from Addle Street is of late 17th-century woodwork refixed in a modern front. It has a square-headed archway flanked by engaged Corinthian columns supporting an enriched entablature and segmental pediment, with a large carving of the Company's arms in the tympanum and festoons at the sides; the doorway itself is square-headed with a fan-light above it, the lights of which radiate from a carved lion's head in the middle of the lintel; the double wooden gates have the upper panels open and fitted with twisted iron bars, the lower panels have small wickets, with enriched architraves, the left wicket being a sham; the gates are crested with ornamental chevaux-de-frise. The S. Elevation (Plate 151) of the hall block is faced with red brick; the ground-floor formed an open arcade (now filled in) of five moulded and keyed elliptical arches, resting on rusticated piers with engaged Doric columns on the outer face; above the springing-level the arches are filled in with carved wooden panels, with cartouches, etc., the middle panel bearing a cartouche of the Company's arms; the scrolled lintels have a lion's head in the middle of each. At the first-floor level is a modernised doorway to the Hall and five square-headed windows to the Hall, with moulded stone architraves and above them as many oval lights similarly treated; the westernmost window in the lower tier is blocked internally. The hall-doorway is approached by a modern outside staircase representing an original feature. On this front are two original moulded rainwater-heads of lead. The S. wing has been refaced. In the S.E. angle of the courtyard is a lead rainwater-head with a cartouche-of-arms and dated 1680, refixed on the modern building. The N. Elevation is faced with red brick, with a band between the storeys, and has square-headed windows with original frames. At the first-floor level are three oval windows lighting the Court Room, which has also a three-light window in the E. return wall and a similar one to the room over it.
Interior—The ground-floor of the hall-block is largely stone-paved and on the N. side is the Kitchen containing a panelled lead cistern (Plate 6) dated 1671 and bearing the arms of the Company. The Staircase leading up to the screens has a moulded rail and turned balusters. The Hall (68 ft. by 26 ft.) is seven bays long (Plates 48, 149). On the N. side are two doorways to the upper staircase and butler's pantry, the first has a cornice and pediment with three shields-of-arms and the inscription, "James Reading Mr. . Mr. Robert Laurence. Mr. Samvell Barker. Mr. Henry Sell. Wardens 1673"; above it is a carving of the royal Stuart arms; the second doorway has flanking pilasters, round archivolt and tympanum carved with Brewers' implements. The walls are panelled to above the lower range of windows, and above the panelling runs a continuous entablature with a bay-leaf frieze and a series of broken pediments each with a carved cartouche bearing a shield-of-arms, with festoons and a name beneath it; the names are—N. side, Griffith Owen, Henry Knight, William Dashwood, James Hickson, Ald. John Foorthe, William Green; S. side, George Dashwood, John Breedon, Phillip Jemitt, Ald. Dannel Foorthe, Sir William Bucknall, Sir John James. The blocked westernmost window in the S. wall is covered by a sham doorway with panelled imposts and round-headed arch. The panelling, at the W. end of the Hall, is in three bays divided and flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters, with carved festoons between the capitals; the middle bay is not carried up so high as the side bays and has a centre-piece, behind the master's chair, finished with a carved attic and a broken and scrolled pediment, in the middle of which is a carving of the Company's crest, a Moorish woman; flanking the centre-piece and at a lower level are figures of Juno and perhaps Amphitrite; on the cornice of the side bays are fixed carved wooden figures of Neptune, Jupiter and two sea-horses. The screen at the E. end of the hall is divided into three bays by fluted Corinthian columns supporting an entablature, continued from that on the side walls, and a panelled attic; in the middle bay is a large round-headed doorway with moulded imposts and architrave, carved spandrels and soffit and a scrolled key; above it is the date 1673 and a large broken pediment surmounted by carved swags and having a large carving of the company's arms and crest; on the piers of the attic are two carved children with vine-wreaths seated astride barrels. In the hall is preserved an embroidered funeral-pall of c. 1520; the flaps bear on the long sides a figure of the Virgin and two shields (St. Thomas of Canterbury impaling the company) divided by barley-ears and scrolls; on the end flaps are figures of St. Thomas of Canterbury. The Court Room (Plate 148) is entered by a doorway at the W. end with a panelled door of two leaves, and over it a broken pediment with a carving of the Starling achievement and festoons. The fireplace on the S. has a carved surround and segmental pediment enclosing the crest of a Moorish woman and a richly carved and festooned overmantel bearing a large medallion with the inscription— "The right Worll. Sr Samvel Starling knight and alderman of London a worthy member of the Brewers' Company did wainscott this parlour in the yeare 1670 the said Sr. Samvel Starling being then Lord Mair. of the Cittie of London." In the E. window are four large shields-of-arms in glass of Charles II, the City and the Company, the last being dated 1673, and one of St. Thomas of Canterbury. In the N. windows are two small oval panels of glass, with landscapes, probably foreign and of late 16th or early 17th-century date. The walls are panelled to the ceiling and finished with a dado and enriched entablature. The upper Staircase (Plate 40) adjoining the Court Room has turned and twisted balusters, straight moulded strings and square newels. The staircase, at the E. end of the Hall, has straight moulded strings and turned balusters.
(7) Parish Clerks' Hall, 24 Silver Street, stands on the S. of that thoroughfare and is of three storeys. The walls are built of brick and the roofs are covered with slate. The existing building was erected in 1669–72, but the front to Silver Street has been refaced in modern times. The building forms a T-shaped block with one end of the cross abutting on the street. The ground-floor is let as offices, and on the first floor the Hall occupies the E. wing with the company's office (probably once the Court Room) and the staircase across the W. end. The second floor is cut up into apartments.
The N. Elevation to the street is modern with a modern entrance. The E. and S. Elevations of the Hall are of brick with modern parapets. On the E. are three and on the S. four square-headed windows lighting the hall.
Interior:—The ground-floor is occupied by modern offices. The Staircase is also modern, up to the first floor, but above this level it is of late 17th-century date with well, turned balusters and moulded rail. The Hall has a plain flat plaster ceiling and is entered by a doorway on the W. with a carved mask in the middle of the lintel. In the window are the following pieces of late 17th-century-glass:—the arms of Charles II, those of the following masters, Thomas Williams, 1680, Richard Seal, 1681, James Maddox, 1684, Nicholas Hudles, 1674 and 1682, William Hornbuckle, 1679, and William Disbrow, 1672: the Prince of Wales' feathers and garter; portraits of Stephen Penckhurst, 1685, and John Clarke, 1675 (Plate 14), masters; medallions of St. Cecilia and David and the head of a queen, probably Anne. The walls are panelled to the ceiling and finished with a moulded cornice. The Office also has walls panelled to the ceiling and finished with a wooden cornice. The funeral-pall (now at the Victoria and Albert Museum) of the 16th century has four shields of the company's arms on the long flaps; at the ends are achievements of the company's arms with the inscription " 'Repared 1686." Two garlands or crowns for the master and upper warden bear the arms and crest of the company with the date and initials H.W. 1601.
(8) House, No. 69, on the W. side of Aldermanbury, 40 yards S. of (2), is of three storeys with attics, the walls are of brick. It was built late in the 17th century, but has had the front re-built. At the back is an original annexe two storeys high; the windows have flush frames.
(9) House, No. 70 Aldermanbury, adjoining (8) on the S., is of three storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are covered with tiles. It was built shortly after the Great Fire by either Richard or John Chandler. The E. elevation is faced with red brick and has projecting bands between the storeys and a modern parapet, there are five windows to the first and second floors with flush frames and modern sashes, and above the N. window on the first floor is a stone panel bearing a sculptured sign of a pelican 'in her piety,' the crest of the Chandler family. Inside the building the walls of the vestibule are lined with panelling in two heights with a moulded cornice to the ceiling. The staircase from the second floor up is original and has moulded string and handrail, square newel and turned balusters.
(10) House, No. 69, now restaurant and offices, on N. side of Gresham Street and the W. corner of the junction with Aldermanbury, is of three storeys with attics and basement; the walls are of brick and the roofs are covered with tiles. It was built possibly early in the 18th century, but has been much altered both internally and externally. The S. front is painted and the E. front is covered with painted plaster, and has plain projecting bands at the floor-levels; some of the windows are original, and at the S. end on the first and second floors are two original recesses. Inside the building portions of an original moulded cornice remain and the staircase has continuous moulded string and handrail, turned balusters and circular newels.
(11) House at N. end of Russia Court is of three storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built in the latter part of the 17th century, but has been much altered. The front to Russia Court is of yellow brick with red brick heads to the windows and projecting bands between the storeys; the ground-floor front and the parapet are modern, and the windows to the second floor with flush frames are the only original ones. Inside the building the staircase above the first-floor level is original and has moulded strings and handrail, square newels with ball heads and moulded drops and turned balusters.
(12) Sculptured sign, to house No. 17½, on the N. side of Addle Street, at the junction with Aldermanbury. On the S. front of the building above the first floor is fixed a rectangular panel with a carving in high relief of a chained bear with a collar and the initials T.F.N. and the date 1670.
(13) Cellars below No. 9 Wood Street, a modern building, stand on the E. side of that thoroughfare on part of the site of the Wood Street Compter, re-built in 1670; they are a series of extensive brick vaults, apparently of that date; the vaulting is of barrel-form, groined at the intersections and in the larger vaults is three-centred. Much of the brickwork is rendered in cement.