An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in London, Volume 5, East London. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1930.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(O.S. 6 in. London, Sheet O.)
The Borough of Deptford is coterminous with the civil parish of St. Paul's, Deptford.
(1) Houses, Nos. 18, 20 and 22 on the S. side of Albury Street, 120 yards N.N.W. of St. Paul's Church, are of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. They were built early in the 18th century. The front doorways are flanked by panelled pilasters with carved and scrolled brackets supporting flat hoods. The windows of the ground floor have flat heads, and those of the upper floor segmental heads; all have flush frames. Inside the buildings, the entrance-passages have plain panelling; the staircases have straight strings, twisted balusters and square newels.
(2) House, No. 24, E. of (1), is generally similar to those just described, but is double-fronted with the doorway in the middle; the brackets of the doorway are more elaborate and have carved grotesque masks. Inside the building, the rooms have moulded panelling and the staircase is similar to those in (1). Across the hall is a round arch with panelled pilasters.
(3) Houses, Nos. 32–40, 30 yards E. of (2), are generally similar to (1). Inside the buildings, No. 34 has an arch across the hall and the staircase (Plate 25) has cut strings with carved brackets and newels in the form of fluted columns; the staircase to the basement has a straight string and square newels. The other houses are similar to (1), but the upper flights of the staircase (Plate 26) in No. 36 have turned balusters.
(4) House, No. 42, E. of (3), is of three storeys with cellars and has a central doorway; otherwise it is similar to the other houses in the street, already described. The staircase is similar to those in (1).
(5) House and shop, No. 6, on the E. side of New King Street, about 300 yards N.N.W. of St. Paul's Church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 18th century, but has been much altered. The front has a moulded eaves-cornice.
Condition—Bad, demolished 1929.