An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
50 SUNBURY (B.e.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XXIV, N.E. (b)XXV, N.W. (c)XXV, S.W.)
Sunbury is a parish and village on the N. bank of the Thames and adjoining Hampton on the W.
c(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands near the river in the S. part of the parish. It was re-built in 1752 and, with the exception of the tower, a good example of 18th-century work, was again re-built in 1856. It contains, from the earlier building, the following:—
Fittings—Monuments: In organ-chamber—on N. wall, (1) to Francis Phelips, 1679, and John Phelips, 1680–1, marble and slate wall-monument with composite side-columns, entablature, pediment, cherubs and two shields-of-arms. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (2) to Richard Bilingsley, 1689, stone tablet with swags, putti, cherub-heads and cartouche-of-arms. In churchyard—at W. end of N. side, (3) to Nicholas Cotton, 1676, flat slab with achievement-of-arms; S. of W. tower, (4) to William Pewsey, 1690, headstone. Plate (Plate 23): includes a cup and paten of 1662, given by Francis Phelips, and a flagon and paten of 1670, given by William Piers, Bishop of Bath and Wells.
b(2) Homestead Moat, in Kempton Park over 1 m. N.E. of the church, is fragmentary.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of late 17th or early 18th-century date and of two storeys or two with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
b(3) Ivy House, ½ m. N.E. of the church, is of three storeys and has later and modern additions on the N. and S. The W. and E. fronts have bands between the storeys and a modillioned or moulded eaves-cornice. Inside the building, the staircase has original panelling and twisted balusters and newels with cut strings. The cellars have a brick vault.
b(4) Rossell House, on the N. side of the road 250 yards S.S.W. of (3), has been much altered, but the S. front retains its modillioned eaves-cornice. Inside the building are some plain panelling and a staircase with twisted or turned balusters.
c(5) Three Fishes Inn, on the W. side of Green Street 200 yards N.W. of the church, has been much altered.
c(6) House, two tenements 15 yards N. of (5).
b(7) Hawke House (Plate 34), on the E. side of Green Street 500 yards N.N.W. of the church, has the date 1703 cut on one of the bricks near the S.E. angle. The W. front has a modillioned eaves-cornice and a projecting central bay with a pediment; the cornice is carried round the house; the central dormer on the E. has a pediment. Inside the building are two fireplaces with marble surrounds. The front gateway to the garden has brick piers surmounted by eagles, probably in lead; a gate on the N. side is of wrought iron with standards.
c(8) Barns, at Clock House Farm 1 m. W.S.W. of the church, are two in number, timber-framed and of one storey.
a(9) Harrow Inn, on the E. side of the road at Charlton 1½ m. W.N.W. of the church, is timber-framed and partly refaced in brick. It was built late in the 15th or early in the 16th century. Inside the building, the front block has remains of an original roof-truss with a heavy tie-beam and a curved brace; the height indicates that it formed part of a one-storey hall. In a bedroom is a brick fireplace with a three-centred head.