An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
54 TWYFORD, WEST (C.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XVI, N.W.)
West Twyford is a very small parish adjoining Acton on the N.
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands to the W. of Twyford Abbey. It is said to have been re-built by Robert Moyle in the 16th century and the pinnacles and W. porch to have been added in 1808. There is, however, nothing visible in the existing fabric to show that it was not entirely re-built at the latter date. It contains from the older church the following:—
Fittings—Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: On E. wall—(1) of Robert Moyle, 1638, erected 1657, alabaster and marble wall-monument (Plate 181) with painted bust of man in flat hat, ruff and cloak, in niche, Ionic side-pilasters, entablature, broken pediment, cartouche and two shields-of-arms; (2) of Walter Moyle, 1660, alabaster and marble wall-monument (Plate 181), generally resembling (1), with bust of man in niche, side-pilasters and scrolls, curved pediment and cartouche-of-arms. On N. wall—(3) enriched alabaster tablet, with shield-of-arms and no inscription, early 17th-century; (4) of William Gifford and Adriana (Lyon) his wife, 1601, small alabaster wall-monument (Plate 133) consisting of kneeling figures of man and wife, four sons and four daughters, enriched side-pilasters, entablature and cartouche and two shields-of-arms. On S. wall—(5) to Fabian, infant son of Fabian Philipps, 1658–9, alabaster and stone tablet (Plate 14) with cherub and large shield-of-arms; (6) to Andrew Philipps, 1696, white marble tablet with eared frame, scrolls, entablature, broken pediment and achievement-of-arms. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Arthur Moyle, 1681–2, with achievement-of-arms. In churchyard—S. of church, (2) to Walter Moyle and his two sons Robert and Francis, 1660, also to Andrew Philipps.