An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
60 YIEWSLEY (A.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XIV, S.E.)
Yiewsley is a parish 2½ m. S. of Uxbridge.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
(1) The Grange, house on the N. edge of the parish, has been extensively altered; it has 18th-century additions on the N. and E. and the original timber-framing has been cased in brick. Inside the building, the staircase incorporates some early 18th-century balusters.
(2) Barns at Philpots Farm, S.E. of (1), are one-storey timber-framed buildings of six and five bays respectively.
(3) Red Cow Inn, 60 yards S.S.E. of the modern church, was originally timber-framed.
(4) De Burgh Arms Hotel, 325 yards S. of the modern church, has been extensively altered and added to. It retains some original mullion and transom windows with solid frames.