An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
14 FELTHAM (B.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XX, S.W.)
Feltham is a parish and village 3 m. S.W. of Hounslow.
(1) Parish Church of St. Dunstan stands on the S. side of Lower Feltham. It was entirely re-built in 1802 and enlarged in 1855–6. It contains, from the old church, the following:—
Fittings—Coffin-Lid: In tower—of Purbeck marble with pointed end, probably 13th-century. Monument and Floor-slab. Monument: In chancel—on N. wall, to Nathaniel Crewe, 1688–9, white marble scrolled tablet with cartouche-of-arms. Floor-slab: In chancel —to . . ., wife of [Charles] Rose vicar, probably early 18th-century.
(2) Manor House and barn 650 yards N.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. It is said to have been re-built after a fire in 1634 and consisted of a main block with cross-wings. The S. cross-wing has been demolished. The Barn, W. of the house, is timber-framed and weather-boarded; it is probably of late 16th or early 17th-century date.
(3) Cottage, now two tenements, on the N. side of the road 110 yards N. of the church, is partly of one and partly of two storeys with attics. It was perhaps built in the 17th century but was largely re-built and refaced in brick early in the 18th century; the roofs are tiled. The E. part of the house is higher than the W. wing.
(4) Cottage, on the E. side of the road 130 yards E. of the church, is of one storey with attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 17th century and has a large projecting chimney-stack at the S. end.