An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
AN INVENTORY OF THE ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTY OF MIDDLESEX
ACCREDITED TO A DATE BEFORE 1714 Arranged by Parishes
(Unless otherwise stated, the dimensions given in the Inventory are internal. Monuments with titles printed in italics are covered by an introductory sentence to which reference should be made. The key-plans of those churches which are not illustrated by hatched plans are drawn to a uniform scale of 48 ft. to the inch, with the monumental portions shown in solid black.)
1 ACTON (C.d.)
Fittings—Bells: eight; 6th by James Bagley, 1712; 7th by Ellis Knight of Reading, 1637. Brass: In N. aisle—on N. wall, of Humfrey Cavell, 1558, kneeling figure of man in civil costume at prayer-desk, one shield-of-arms, with modern enamel. Chest: In N. gallery, of plain boards with angle-straps and strap-hinges, drop-handles at ends, probably late 17th-century. Monuments: In S. vestry—(1) to Lady Anne Southwell, 1636 (See Mon. 5) two wooden panels with painted inscriptions and moulded frames. In nave—on W. wall, (2) to Jonathan Rogers 1694–5, oval tablet with scrolls and shield-of-arms; (3) to Elizabeth, daughter of Robert Searles, 1674, white marble cartouche with palms, drapery, scrolls and lozenge-of-arms; (4) to Philippa, wife of Francis Rous [Provost of Eton], 1657, white marble tablet, part of a larger monument; (5) to Anne (Harris) wife successively of Sir Thomas Southwell and Henry Sibthorp, 1636, black marble slab, part of larger monument; (6) to Elizabeth Barry, actress, 1713, convex tablet of marble; (7) to John Peryn, alderman of London, 1656–7, slate tablet, part of larger monument; (8) to Barbara (Crane) wife of Bartholomew Pigot, 1649–50, slate tablet; (9) to Mary, wife of [Maj. Gen.] Philip Skippon, , slate tablet, part of larger monument. In N. aisle—on W. wall, (10) to Francis Stratford, 1704, white marble cartouche with scrolls and shield-of-arms. In W. tower—on S. wall, (11) to Katherine [Hueriblock] wife of [Edward] Viscount Conway, , wall-monument with side-pilasters, allegorical figures, entablatures, cornice and two shields-of-arms. In N.W. lobby—on E. wall, (12) to Frances, daughter of Samuel Trotman, 1698, large marble cartouche (Plate 17) with elaborate scrolls and drapery, cherubs and a lozenge-of-arms; on N. wall, (13) to Catherine, daughter of Thomas Henslow, 1680, scrolled marble cartouche (Plate 17) with lozenge-of-arms; (14) to Daniel Wait and Anne his wife, subsequently wife of Sir John Coryton, Bart., 1707, scrolled and draped marble cartouche with lozenge-of-arms. In churchyard—S. of S. aisle; (15) to Thomas Bramley, 1689, Mary his wife, 1689 and others later, top slab and base of former table-tomb. In yard of No. 230 High Street—(16) to Charles, Thomas, Richard and Joseph, sons of John Peacock, also to Elizabeth his wife, 1704, flat slab. Plate: includes a set (Plate 22) said to have been given by Lady Dudley, c. 1638–9 and consisting of cup with band of engraved ornament knop and octagonal base with cherub-heads, stand-paten with repoussé ornament and initials I.H.S., perhaps added, larger stand-paten with repoussé ornament including cherub-heads and domed lid with similar ornament and a flagon with repoussé ornament including dolphins, sea-horse, etc. Weather Vane: In tower—on N. wall, of iron with pennon and acorn, removed from old tower in 1810, late 17th or early 18th-century. Miscellanea: In N. gallery—fragments of stone-carving from monuments and two small wheat-sheaves in oak. In vestry—over fireplace, overmantel said to be made up of wood-work from reredos of 1676. In churchyard—S. of S. aisle, slab with chamfered edge, two angles cut away, possibly altar-slab.
(2) Berrymead Priory, now the Priory Constitutional Club, 400 yards S.E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are stuccoed and the roofs are slate-covered. The house has been so extensively altered, particularly in 1802, that it is now impossible to say how much of the structure is ancient. All the visible features are modern or have been renewed. There was a house here in the 16th century and it is possible that the central hall with the wings to the N.W. and S.W. may date from this period. The existence of windows high up in the E. and W. walls of the hall indicates that this building formerly stood free on these sides. The internal fittings appear to be all modern with the possible exception of a piece of glass painted with a portcullis.
(3) The Grange, on the S. side of the road at East Acton, 1 m. E.N.E. of the church, is of two storeys with cellars and attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built probably early in the 18th century and retains its main block and W. cross-wing; there are later extensions on the W. and S. The N. front has a band between the storeys and a wooden eaves-cornice; over the doorway is a three-light window with solid frame, mullions and transom; it may be of the 17th century re-used. Inside the building there is an early 18th-century door and the cellars have or had brick vaults; in the front wall of the cellars are vertical chaces perhaps indicating the presence of an earlier timber-framed building on the site.
(4) George and Dragon Hotel, on the S. side of High Street, 50 yards S. of the church, is of three storeys; the walls are partly timber-framed and partly refronted in brick; the roofs are tile and slate-covered. It was built probably as two houses early in the 17th century, but has been extensively altered and the E. part refaced. The upper storey projects on the W. part of the front and under it is a wide passage-way with chamfered posts.