An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
12 EDMONTON (E.b.)
Edmonton is an Urban District and parish on the E. border of the county, adjoining Tottenham on the N. The Church, Pymme's Park and Salisbury House are the principal monuments. The moats, formerly existing at Weir Hall and Marsh Side, have now been filled in.
(1) Parish Church of All Saints stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are of rubble faced with brick except the tower, which is rubble; the dressings are of freestone and the roofs are tiled. There was a 12th-century church on this site as indicated by the remains of an arch and a doorway formerly in the S. wall. The Chancel, Vestry, Nave, North Aisle and West Tower of the existing church were re-built in the 15th century and the North Chapel was added early in the 16th century. In 1772 the N. aisle and chancel were refaced externally in brick. The church was restored in 1889 when the S. arcade was built and the South Aisle added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (41 ft. by 22 ft.) has a much restored 15th-century E. window of four cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head; the gable has not been refaced and is of irregular chequer-work with a small window of one square-headed light. In the N. wall is a modern arcade of two bays and a 15th-century doorway to the vestry, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. In the S. wall is a modern arcade of two bays and further E. a 16th-century window of two elliptical-headed lights in a square head with a moulded label. The much restored 15th-century chancel-arch is two-centred and moulded; the responds are largely modern. Under the chancel is a crypt or vault, now inaccessible.
The North Chapel (25 ft. by 18½ ft.) is of early 16th-century date but has been refaced in brick. In the N. wall are two modern windows; the jambs of the two original windows remain flanking the modern openings; they had four-centred lights in square heads; further W. is a blocked 16th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and four-centred head.
The Nave (63¼ ft. by 27½ ft.) has a 15th-century N. arcade of four bays, with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, springing from octagonal columns with restored capitals and moulded bases; the outer order is continued down the E. respond but both orders die on to the W. wall. The S. arcade is modern.
The North Aisle (15½ ft. wide) has, in the N. wall, three windows, all modern except for the 15th-century splays and rear-arches; the N. doorway is modern. In the W. wall is a window, similar to those in the N. wall.
The West Tower (14½ ft. square) is of the 15th century and of three stages (Plate 54) with a moulded plinth and modern embattled parapet. The tower-arch is moulded and two-centred; the splayed responds have each an attached shaft with moulded capital and base. The restored W. window is of three cinque-foiled lights in a four-centred head; the W. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch with a moulded label. The second stage has, in the E., S. and W. walls a single-light window. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two trefoiled lights in a square head with a moulded label; the S. window has lost its mullion.
The Roof of the Vestry is of the 15th century and has a double chamfered tie-beam and wall-plates and a chamfered ridge. The 16th-century roof of the N. chapel has moulded wall-plates, cross and longitudinal beams and chamfered joists. The 15th-century roof of the nave is of six bays with chamfered tie-beams, curved braces, ridge and purlins; the wall-posts rest on defaced stone corbels, formerly carved with angels holding shields. The 17th-century roof of the N. aisle is flat and divided into sixteen panels by moulded beams; most of the panels are sub-divided either diagonally or into squares by moulded ribs; the beam between the chapel and the aisle rests on moulded and enriched wall-brackets, that on the S. bearing the initials and date I. and D.C. 1626.
Fittings—Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In nave— on N. splay of tower-arch, (1) to Edward Nowell, 1616 and Mary (Isham) his wife, 1600–1, figures of man in civil costume, wife, three sons, one daughter, two shields-of-arms and scroll, indent of same in middle aisle; on S. splay of tower-arch, (2) of John Asplyn and Godfrey Askew and Elizabeth wife of both successively, c. 1500, figure of two men in civil costume and woman, indent of same in W. tower, (3) to Marye, daughter of George Huxley, 1613, inscription only; on W. wall, (4) of Nicholas Boone,  and Elizabeth his wife, figures of man in civil costume and wife. Indents: In N. aisle—(1) slab with part of indent. In chancel—(2) of two figures and groups of children; (3) of inscription-plate. In N. chapel—on N. wall, (4) stone tablet with pointed sinking, trefoiled spandrels and embattled cornice, in sinking, indents of man, wife and children with scroll and two plates. Door: In doorway of vestry—heavy, battened and nail-studded, with three strap-hinges, 15th-century (?). Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—against N. wall, (1) to George Huxley, 1627, and Catharine (Nedham) his wife, marble monument (Plate 15) with panelled base, back-piece with cornice, consoles, cartouche-of-arms and small figure of Time; on S. wall, (2) to Edward Rogers, 1661, Lidia his wife and Richard their son, 1661, black and white marble tablet with side-pilasters, entablature, segmental pediment and achievement-of-arms. In N. chapel—on N. wall, (3) probably to [Jasper Draper, 1657], re-set fragment only, with shield-of-arms. In S. chapel—on S. wall, (4) to Thomas Maule, 1714–5, tablet with Corinthian side-pilasters, entablature, segmental pediment and cartouche-of-arms. In S. aisle—on S. wall, (5) to Anne, daughter of George Huxley, 1653–4, oval alabaster and white marble tablet with wreath and defaced lozenge-of-arms, (6) to John Dent, 1659, black and white marble tablet with Corinthian pilasters, cornice, broken pediment and cartouche-of-arms; (7) probably to [John Kirton], c. 1530, re-set traceried front below and recess above (Plate 53), flanked by shafts and surmounted by cornice of vine-ornament and cresting of Tudor flowers, recess with panelled jambs and four-centred arch with traceried spandrels, on cornice three shields (a) Kirton, (b) blank, (c) Bellers quartering Houby and Rusken, on back of recess, indents of kneeling figures of man and two wives, scrolls, children and shield-of-arms; (8) to John Huxley, 1661, alabaster and black marble wall-monument with Corinthian side-columns, entablature, broken pediment and three defaced cartouches-of-arms. Floor-slabs: In chancel —(1) to Sarah, daughter of Richard Andrew, 1691, and Ann his wife, 1704, with lozenge-of-arms; (2) to Sir Nicholas Butler (?), 1700, and Jane his wife, with shield-of-arms; (3) to Elizabeth (Middleton), wife of John Lane, 1690, and Hezekiah Middleton, her brother, 1688, with achievement-of-arms. In nave—(4) to Triphena, daughter of Peter Monger, 1707; (5) to Robert Wilkins, 1712–3; (6) to Col. Thomas Sandiford, 1712, with shield-of-arms. Miscellanea: In W. wall of S. aisle—re-set portions of a mid 12th-century arch and doorway (Plate 71), the arch with cheveron-ornament, modified beak-heads and diaper-ornament, side-shafts with cushion-capitals; the doorway with a round arch and cheveron-ornament; standing loose, architectural fragments 12th to 15th-century. Re-set in S. wall at E. end of aisle—part of panelled marble front of monument with cusped panelling and shields, early 16th-century.
(2) Pymme's Park, house ¾ m. S.S.W. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and timber-framing and the roofs are slate-covered. A house belonging to Lord Burghley stood on the site late in the 16th century, but it seems to have been entirely re-built in the first half of the 17th century. It was remodelled early in the 18th century and again later in the century when the S. front was built. The N. front is plastered and has two projecting wings; these, with the main block, have an early 18th-century eaves-cornice and rusticated plaster quoins. The other fronts seem to have been refaced later in the 18th-century. Inside the building is a considerable amount of 17th-century panelling and some panelled doors of the same period; some of the doors have 17th-century moulded frames and cornices. The fireplace in the S.E. room has an overmantel of the first half of the 17th century with a strapped oval panel in the middle and ornamental panels at the sides; the N.E. room has an early 18th-century moulded surround to the fireplace. The early to mid 17th-century main staircase (Plate 37) has turned balusters, entablature-moulded strings, heavy grip-handrails and newels with ball-terminals; the back staircase (Plate 39) is of similar character but the rails are carried over the newels.
(3) Salisbury House (Plate 55), on the S. side of Bury Street and 1,150 yards N.W. of the church, is of three storeys with cellars; the walls are mostly timber-framed and plastered or weather-boarded and the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century; there are modern additions on the W. side. The upper storeys project at both floor-levels on all four sides. The W. side has three gables and a semi-octagonal projecting stair-turret also gabled; three original windows, with moulded frames, remain on this side. The E. side has two large chimney-stacks each with one square and two diagonal shafts. Inside the building are a number of 17th-century doors, one having an original moulded frame. The N. room on the first floor is lined with early 17th-century panelling finished with a frieze and cornice; the frieze is divided into panels by uprights with jewel-ornament and brackets; the fireplace is flanked by fluted and reeded pilasters supporting a bracketed shelf with an overmantel (Plate 56) above; this is flanked by pilasters on pedestals, supporting an enriched entablature; the central bay has geometrical panels, the middle one enriched by arabesques; the side panels have enriched round-headed niches. The room in the small wing on the S. is lined with early 17th-century panelling. Re-set in the house are two small 17th-century shields-of-arms (one of Fabian) in painted glass.
(6) House with shops Nos. 5–9 on the N. side of the Green and 440 yards E. of the church, is built of brick and was much altered late in the 18th century. At the back is an original window of three transomed lights. Inside the building are two original staircases with twisted balusters and some doors of the same period.