An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
15 FINCHLEY (D.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)XI, N.E. (b)XI, S.E.)
Finchley is a parish and borough adjoining the county of London on the N. The church is the principal monument.
a(1) Parish Church of St. Mary stands in the S.W. part of the parish. The walls are of rag-stone rubble with free-stone dressings and some rag-stone ashlar; the roofs are slate-covered. Some fragments re-set in the N. aisle indicate the existence of a church here in the 12th century, but in the 15th century the whole structure, including the Chancel, Nave, North Aisle and West Tower, seems to have been re-built. Some minor alterations appear to have been made early in the 16th century. The church was extensively restored in 1872 and the chancel was extended to the E., the S. wall re-built, the Organ-chamber added and the South Aisle and arcade built. The arches of the N. arcade, with the clearstorey above, were also re-built. In 1932 the Outer South Aisle and Vestries were built.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (40 ft. by 18¼ ft.) has modern E. and S. walls. In the N. wall is a modern archway; further W. is an arcade of two bays with two-centred arches of two hollow-chamfered orders; the octagonal pier and semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and bases; close to the W. angle of the wall is the partly blocked round-headed doorway to the former rood-loft.
The North Chapel (22½ ft. by 14¾ ft.) has a modern arch in the E. wall. In the N. wall are two much restored windows each of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a moulded label.
The Nave (49 ft. by 25¼ ft.) has a N. arcade of four bays with octagonal columns and semi-octagonal E. respond with moulded capitals and hollow-chamfered bases; the W. arch springs from a moulded corbel; the arches and clearstorey are modern; the skewed wall E. of the arcade has an early 16th-century doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred arch in a square head. In the S. wall is a modern arcade, but the clear-storey above retains four windows each of three cinque-foiled lights in a segmental head with a moulded label, the third is modern and the others partly restored.
The North Aisle (10¾ ft. wide) has in the N. wall three much-restored windows similar to those in the N. chapel; the W. wall is modern.
The South Aisles are modern, but re-set in the S. wall is an early 16th-century doorway with moulded jambs and four-centred head.
The West Tower (11¼ ft. square) is of four storeys finished with a restored embattled parapet. The tower-arch is two-centred and of two chamfered orders springing from semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases. The W. doorway has hollow-chamfered jambs and two-centred head; the W. window in the second storey is largely restored and of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a moulded label; the third storey has in the W. wall a window of one trefoiled light in a square head; there is a similar window in the S. wall now blocked and partly covered by the clock-face. The bell-chamber has in each wall a restored window similar to the W. window.
The Roof of the N. chapel is divided into six panels by early 16th-century moulded beams with similar wall-plates. The 15th-century roof of the nave is flat-pitched and of four main bays with five moulded tie-beams; the tie-beams have curved braces with trefoiled spandrels and below the junction of the tie-beams and the ridge are small shaped pendants.
Fittings—Brasses: In N. chapel—on floor, (1) to Richard Prate, 1487, and Joan his wife, effigy of wife and inscription, man's effigy and groups of children lost; (2) to William Godolphin, 1575, inscription, rebus and shield-of-arms, effigy and small plate missing; on end wall, (3) extract of will of Thomas Sanny, 1509, inscription only; (4) to Simon Skudemore, 1609, figure of man in civil dress, wife and achievement-of-arms; on same slab, (5) to Elizabeth (Skudemore), wife of Nicholas Luke, early 17th-century, figures of woman, three daughters and shield-of-arms, figure of man and group of sons missing; (6) to Roger Hayton, 1663, plate with achievement-of-arms and devices; (7) to Thomas White, 1610–1, and Mary, Martha and Honnor, his wives, kneeling figure of man in civil costume at prayer-desk, three wives, three groups of children and three shields-of-arms set in a marble slab with a round-headed sinking. In S. aisle—on W. wall, (8) figure of lady in a veiled head-dress c. 1480; (9) to William Blakwell and Richard his son, c. 1500, inscription only. Door: In doorway of tower stair-turret—of nail-studded battens with strap-hinges, 17th-century. Font (Plate 9): octagonal bowl of Purbeck marble with two pointed panels on each face, early 13th-century, stem modern. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In N. chapel, on S.W. wall, (1) to Lt.-Col. John Searle, 1682, and Anne his daughter, 1681, marble and slate wall-monument with Ionic side-columns supporting entablature, a scrolled and broken pediment, and urn; achievement-of-arms and trophy of arms on apron. In nave—on W. wall, (2) to Alexander Kinge, 1618–9, alabaster and marble wall-monument (Plate 50) with kneeling figures of man and wife at prayer-desk, Corinthian side-columns supporting entablature, with putti, central feature with pediment and achievement-of-arms, three other shields-of-arms; (3) to Sir Thomas Allen, 1681, and Mary (Weld) his wife, 1663–4, erected by Edward Allen, black and white marble wall-monument (Plate 65) with drapery, scrolls and Corinthian side-columns supporting an entablature, scrolled and broken pediment and urn, achievement-of-arms on apron. In churchyard—S. of S. vestry, (4) to Mary daughter of John Pelham, 1710, headstone; N. of N. aisle, (5) to Richard Clewin, 1680, headstone; (6) to Bridget, wife of Jacob Broad, 1713? headstone. S. of Tower (7) to Thomasin, wife of John Marsh, 1673, headstone. Floor-slabs: In N. chapel, (1) to Edward Allen, 1683, with achievement-of-arms. In S. chapel, (2) to Thomas Lovel, 1650, with shield-of-arms. Miscellanea: Incorporated in W. wall of N. aisle— stone fragments with cheveron-ornament and foliage, late 12th-century.
a(2) Church of St. Paul in Long Lane is entirely modern but has a bell formerly at Hatford, Berkshire, inscribed "Beatus Venter qui Te portavit," cast in London c. 1380.
b(3) Homestead Moat, called Bishop's Lodge, on Highgate Golf Course, nearly 2 m. S.E. of the parish church, is fragmentary.
a(4) Homestead Moat at the Manor House, ½ m. S.E. of the parish church, is fragmentary.
a(5) Verandah House on the S.W. side of the Market Place, 1¼ m. E.S.E. of the parish church, is of two storeys with attics. The walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
b(6) Spaniards Inn, in the extreme S. angle of the parish, is of three storeys; the walls are of brick and timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. It was built in the 17th century but has been extensively altered, added to and refaced.