An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
19 HAMPTON WICK (C.e.)
b(1) Stud House, house and stables in Hampton Court Park 1,000 yards E. of the palace. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are slate-covered. It was built early in the 18th century, but was extensively altered and added to in 1817–18. Part of the original S. front is still exposed and is of five bays with square-headed windows and an eaves-cornice. Inside the building, the drawing-room has two original fireplaces with moulded stone surrounds and ornamental iron fire-backs; one of these has figures of Hercules, Virtue and Voluptas and the other a figure probably of Charity.
The Stables (Plate 35), E. of the house, form a rectangular block of two storeys; the walls are of brick. They were built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century and retain the eaves-cornice, solid framed windows and two original panelled doors. The stalls are entered under a continuous timber arcade (Plate 35) having pillars with moulded caps, round arches and an entablature. The staircase, at the N. end, has turned balusters.
a(2) Lancaster House and York Lodge, house now in two tenures, on the N. side of Hampton Court Road 580 yards N.E. of the palace, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built early in the 18th century, but the roof has been reconstructed. The windows are square-headed and there is a brick band between the storeys. Inside the building is some 18th-century panelling.
a(6) Wolsey's Cottage, on the E. side of Lower Teddington Road, 20 yards N. of (5) is of two storeys. It was built late in the 16th century, but the former N. cross-wing has been reduced in height. In a modern addition is a re-set window of c. 1600 with moulded frame, mullions and transom. Inside the building, the Drawing Room is lined with original panelling and the fireplace (Plate 36) is flanked by fluted stone pilasters supporting a gadrooned shelf; below the shelf is a bracketed lintel carved with bird-monsters, dolphins, foliage and a cartouche with knotwork and the initials I., T.E.S.S.; the oak overmantel is of two bays divided and flanked by terminal pilasters supporting an enriched entablature; the bays have ornamental panels. The Dining Room and corridor are partly lined with original panelling, made up with modern work. The well over the entrance-hall has early 18th-century balusters and there is an original moulded beam on the first floor.
a(7) Hawthorn Lodge, in Bushy Park nearly 1 m. N. of the palace, is a small brick building, dating probably from early in the 18th century. The S. front has a moulded eaves-cornice and there are two original sash-windows in the E. wall.