An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
21 HANWORTH (B.e.)
(1) Parish Church of St. George stands near the middle of the parish. The mediæval church was entirely re-built in 1812 from the designs of James Wyatt. In 1865 the chancel was re-built and extended, N. chapel, tower and porches added and the earlier nave restored.
Fittings—Chest: in nave—of banded iron with lock, two staples and ornamental scutcheon on front, late 17th-century. Glass: In N. Chapel—in N. windows, (a) two rectangular 15th-century panels with figures (Plate 19) of seraphim in yellow stain; (b) late 15th-century shield-of-arms of Crosby quartering azure a cheveron between three birds' (?) heads razed or (? for Chedworth); (c) early 17th-century quartered shield of Killegrew with the first two quarters replaced by three quarters from elsewhere, date below, 1606; (d) a number of 15th-century quarries with columbine flowers and other fragments, made up with modern glass. In rectory—royal arms (Plate 19) of James I with the date 1625. Monument: In N. chapel —on W. wall, to Sir Thomas Chamber, 1692, stone tablet with cartouche-of-arms. Plate (Plate 22): includes a cup and cover-paten of 1632 given by Francis Lord Cottington with his achievement-of-arms.
(2) Hanworth Park, fireplaces, walls and moat immediately S. and S.W. of the church. The house belonged to Henry VIII and was occupied by Katherine Parr; it passed to William Earl of Pembroke and eventually to Francis Lord Cottington. He improved the house and built c. 1629 the garden-wall which still in part survives. The house was burnt down in 1797 and there is a modern house, E. of the moat. The flats called Tudor Court, on the road, were originally stables. Two Tudor fireplaces survive incorporated in walling at the back of Tudor Court; both are of brick with four-centred arches; the southern has a small recess in the N. jamb. In the neighbourhood of these fireplaces, to the S. of the churchyard and to the E. of the moat, are stretches of 17th-century brick enclosurewalls. The entrance-court, S. of the churchyard, is flanked by two late 18th-century features each incorporating a terra-cotta roundel (Plate 77) with a bust of an emperor on the S. and one probably of Minerva on the N. These roundels are precisely similar to those at Hampton Court, the work of Maiano, except that the ornamental outer border or band is missing.
(3) Hanworth House, on the N. side of Main Street about 950 yards S.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. The middle part of the house was built c. 1700, but there are extensive later 18th-century and modern additions. The original block had a heavy eaves-cornice. Inside, the building has been much altered but one of the rooms has an original bolection-moulded panel above the fireplace.