An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
22 HAREFIELD (A.b.)
b(1) Parish Church of St. Mary (Plates 126, 127) stands to the S. of the village. The walls are of flint rubble and brick with limestone dressings, mostly rendered in cement; the N.W. Tower is of brick above and of flint rubble and stone below; the roofs are tiled. The thickness of the walling E. of the E. respond of the N. arcade and at the S.W. angle of the nave perhaps indicates the existence of a 12th-century church, but the earliest surviving detail is the 13th-century window in the N. wall of the chancel. The Chancel was built in the 13th century and the North Chapel added about the same time. Early in the 14th century the South Aisle and S. arcade were built. The North Aisle and N. arcade were added in the 16th century; the N. chapel was re-built at the same time and the North West Tower added shortly afterwards. The chancel-arch was re-built probably late in the 18th century, and possibly the chancel was shortened at the same time. The tower-arches to the nave and N. aisle have been filled in and a modern doorway and staircase inserted; the North Porch is also modern.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (19¾ ft. by 24 ft.) has a modern three-light E. window. In the N. wall is a single-light 13th-century lancet-window, blocked internally. The S. wall has a blocked 15th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head, with a moulded label. The chancel-arch is probably of late 18th-century date and of the same period as the plaster ceiling of the chancel.
The Nave (55¼ ft. by 23¾ ft.) has at the E. end of the N. wall a 13th-century two-centred arch of one chamfered order; the greater part of the S. side was cut back in the 16th century; the E. respond is of early 16th-century date and has a moulded capping; the original springer remains on the W. side. The N. arcade is of early 16th-century date and of two bays each with two moulded orders springing from an octagonal pier and semi-octagonal respond with moulded capitals and bases. The S. arcade is of early 14th-century date with two-centred arches of two moulded orders with a moulded label on the S. side; the quatre-foiled columns have small intermediate shafts, moulded capitals and modern bases; the E. respond and two westernmost columns are modern; the W. respond has a small carved head on each side of the capital, one a woman with a jewelled fillet and the other a bishop. In the W. wall is a modern window.
The North Aisle (21¼ ft. by 13¾ ft.) is of the 16th century and has, in the N. wall, two two-light windows, the easternmost entirely modern and the westernmost modern except for parts of the jambs and splays. The N. doorway is plastered and probably modern; to the W. of it is a modern doorway.
The South Aisle (57 ft. by 13½ ft.) is of early 14th-century date and is faced with flint and stone checkerwork; it has an E. window of three lights with tracery in a two-centred head, moulded jambs, rear-arch and labels with defaced stops. In the S. wall are four similar windows of two lights, the two westernmost being modern except for the openings; the two easternmost have been restored and have modern stops to the internal labels. The S. doorway has a two-centred head with a moulded label and defaced head-stops; it is now blocked. In the W. wall is a modern window.
The North-west Tower (12¾ ft. square) is of mid 16th-century date and of three stages with an embattled parapet and a pyramidal roof; the upper part has been refaced or partly refaced in brick. The ground stage has in both the E. and S. walls a blocked four-centred arch of two chamfered orders springing from responds with brick cappings; two modern doorways and a staircase have been inserted in the E. arch; in the W. wall is a window of three pointed lights in a four-centred head with moulded external jambs. The floor of the second stage has been lowered and now cuts across the middle of this window. In the N. and W. walls of the second stage are small pointed windows in square heads with moulded labels. The third stage has in each face a window of two four-centred lights in a square moulded head with a cement label.
Fittings—Bells: three and sanctus; 1st by Bryan Eldridge, 1629; sanctus undated. Brasses: In chancel—(1) of John Newdigate, 1545, and Anne his wife, 15 . ., figures of man and woman in civil dress, kneeling at prayer-desks, eight sons and five daughters all kneeling, inscription, and indents of two labels and two shields, in back of altar-tomb (see Monument (4)). In N. chapel—(2) of William Assheby, 15 . ., and Jane his wife, 1537, figures of man in armour and wife, one son and seven daughters and inscription; all are palimpsest, figure of man on effigy in shroud, c. 1500, figure of woman on portions of two civil figures, 15th-century, figure of son on brass of earlier but doubtful date, figures of daughters on the face of a large 14th-century figure, and inscription on an inscription to John Gregory who died at Lambeth, 1468, and Joan his wife, 1487; (3) of George Assheby, 1514, and Rose (Eden) his wife, figures of man in armour, wife, four sons, three daughters, inscription and three shields-of-arms— (1) Ashby, (2) Ashby impaling Peyton quartering Bernard and (3) Eden, indents of two other shields; all except the sons are palimpsest, figure of man on two parts of a large figure of a priest with embroidered and fringed maniple and stole, chasuble with embroidered edge and alb with orphrey, 14th-century; figure of woman on two parts of effigy in shroud, 15th-century; figures of daughters on a civil figure, 15th-century; inscription on portions of two figures of women, 15th-century and c. 1500; and the shields on (1) a fragment of a woman's figure, (2) and (3) on part of an inscription and two parts of a Trinity, indents of two shields; on N. wall, (4) to George Assheby, 1474, and Margaret his wife, 1474, inscription only. In S. aisle—in recess in E. wall (5) to John Crugge, 1533, and Barbara his wife 15 . ., inscription only; palimpsest on part of skeleton in shroud, late 15th-century, formerly in Astley Church, Warwickshire; on S. wall, (6) to Edith, wife of William Neudegate, 1444, small figure of woman in horned head-dress, inscription and indents of two shields. See also Monuments (7) and (10). Chests: In vestry— of small hutch-type, with scalloped edges to lid and front, plain lock-plate, 17th-century; with moulded lid, three lock-plates and shaped hinges, inscription on front with names John Lewis, William Nellam, churchwardens, and date 1691. Communion Rails: forming semi-octagonal enclosure (Plate 130) with double gate across one side, moulded top and bottom rails with pilaster-strips at the angles carved with pendants of fruit and cherub-heads, spaces between filled with carved and pierced scroll-work with acanthus-leaves and the heads of a nun and a monk; late 17th-century date, said to have come from Flanders with the reredos. Communion Table: In vestry—with turned legs and enriched top rail, 17th-century. Font: octagonal, with moulded and embattled capping to bowl, probably modern, and moulded base, early 16th-century. Cover, with eight scrolled brackets, early 17th-century. Funeral-helms and Gauntlets: in chancel, on S. wall, (1) armet and visor, beaver, skull in two pieces and plain comb, the gorget is apparently of different date, 16th-century; (2) 15th-century salade with cracked skull, visor, beaver and gorget, late 16th-century; (3) and (4) made up from pieces of 17th-century helms and modern pieces. With each helm, a pair of gauntlets, all much restored. Glass: in N. chapel—in E. window (1) a roundel with a figure of the Scarlet Woman, wearing a triple crown, with inscription from Apocalypse xviii; (2) shield of arms of Ashby, and above the Ashby rebus, early 16th-century; (3) roundel with a figure of Christ, on one side three apostles and on the other side a pope, a bishop and a cardinal; part of inscription from Wisdom of Solomon v; in tracery, three roundels, (a) Christ talking to two saints at the door of a sheep-fold, with sheep in foreground; on the roof are a pope, a bishop and priests; at one side a priest stabbing a sheep; part of inscription from John x; (b) the righteous king in early 16th-century costume with sword, seated on a throne with soldiers and attendants on each side; part of inscription in border '. . . rde thou righteous. The seat of the king that faithefuly judgeth the poare shalbe continue sure for evermore'; (c) figure of St. James the Great; border with part of inscription from Matthew iii, 10; all of 16th-century date. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—against E. wall, (1) of Mary (Bagot), wife of Sir Richard Newdigate, 2nd Baronet; also to Sir Richard Newdigate, 2nd Baronet, 1709–10; large marble canopied wall-monument (Plate 125) with effigy of woman in classical draperies reclining on sarcophagus with panelled front and gadrooned edge; sarcophagus resting on high base, supporting two Doric columns with a draped entablature and domical canopy, vase, cherub-heads and shield-of-arms; against N. wall (2) to Sarah (Bisshopp), wife of Richard Newdigate, 1695, large marble wall-monument (Plate 15) consisting of panelled sarcophagus with gadrooned top, resting on high panelled base with high panelled back surmounted by a cherub's head and shield-of-arms; on the sarcophagus two cherubs supporting an urn; in S.E. angle of chancel (3) of Alice (Spencer), wife first of Ferdenando Stanley, fifth Earl of Derby, and second of Thomas Egerton, Viscount Brackley, formerly Lord Chancellor, 1636, altar-tomb, effigy and canopy (Plate 128); altar-tomb with three recesses on W. side with kneeling figures of three daughters by her first husband, wearing coronets, ruffs and long cloaks (a) Anne wife first of Grey Brydges, Lord Chandos, and second of Mervyn Touchet, Earl of Castlehaven, (b) Frances, wife of John Egerton, Earl of Bridgwater, and (c) Elizabeth wife of Henry Hastings, Earl of Huntingdon; effigy (Plate 129) of lady with long hair and head on cushion, wearing a coronet, tight-fitting, low-cut bodice, gown and cloak, crest at feet, canopy of four Corinthian columns supporting an entablature with a dome-shaped top, draped curtains on two sides, seven shields-of-arms and modern achievement; against S. wall (4) partly recessed early 16th-century canopied table-tomb (Plate 53), moulded top-slab with indent of a shroud brass and front with three lozenge-shaped cusped panels with shields having rivets of former brasses; canopy carried on shafted standards and having a moulded cornice, frieze with circular panels and a brattished cresting, soffit of canopy and sides of standards with traceried panels; at back of recess indents of figures and inscription plate and later brass (see Brasses (1)). In N. chapel—on N. wall (5) of Sir Robert Ashby, 1617, and of Sir Francis Ashby 1623, wall-monument (Plate 132) with figures of man and wife in civil costume, kneeling at prayer-desk in recess flanked by Corinthian columns supporting an entablature with looped curtains, an achievement-of-arms and putti with spades; below the effigies, five sons kneeling, one in armour and four in civil costume, shield-of-arms on prayer-desk. Between N. chapel and nave—on W. side of arch (6) to John Pritchett, Bishop of Gloucester, formerly vicar of Harefield and St. Andrew Undershaft, 1680–1, and Catherine his wife, white marble oval tablet (Plate 17) carved with cherub-heads, pendants of fruit and flowers and a cartouche-of-arms, flanked by books and surmounted by a mitre. In S. aisle—in E. wall, (7) to John Newdegate, sergeant-at-law, 1528 and Amphilisia (Nevell) his wife, 1544, table-tomb with top-slab of Purbeck marble with moulded edge, the front with two quatre-foiled and sub-cusped lozenge-shaped panels and shields; set in slab, brasses of a man in legal costume and a lady with pedimental head-dress and mantle with the arms of Neville of Holt, both with labels; between the figures indent of a Trinity and below an inscription plate, re-set upside down, and groups of ten sons and seven daughters; in N.E. corner, (8) to Sir Richard Newdigate, Bart., sergeant-at-law, 1678 and Juliana (Leigh), his wife 1685, black and white marble wall-monument (Plate 16) consisting of black marble slab carrying wreathed inscription-tablet, twisted columns with entablature, scrolled and broken pediment and achievement-of-arms; in S.E. corner (9) of Sir John Newdigate, 1610, and Anne (Fitton) his wife, alabaster and marble wall-monument (Plate 132) with figures of man in armour and wife kneeling at prayer-desk in a recess flanked by Ionic pilasters with entablature and surmounted by an achievement-of-arms and two crests; two shields-of-arms in spandrels; below effigies, kneeling figures of two sons and three daughters and a cartouche-of-arms; in S. wall (10) table-tomb with moulded top-slab of grey marble, damaged front with three lozenge-shaped panels with shields having rivets for brasses, early 16th-century; on S. wall (11) to John Newdigate, 1705, and to Richard, 1705–6, John, 1709, and Thomas, 1713–4, infant sons of Sir Richard Newdigate, 3rd Baronet, marble wall-monument with inscription tablet flanked by panelled pilasters with shield-of-arms; in S.W. corner, (12) to John Newdigate, 1642, wall-monument (Plate 16) with black marble inscription tablet set between Doric columns carrying an entablature and broken pediment, achievement and two shields-of-arms, the whole resting on moulded shelf with a shield-of-arms; in N.W. corner, (13) to Robert Newdigate, 1695, black and white marble wall-monument, consisting of inscription tablet, consoles, entablature, curved and broken pediment and cartouche-of-arms. In churchyard—S. of chancel, (14) to Elizabeth (Cotes), widow of Sir Walter Long, 1688, table-tomb with N. side incomplete as though originally against a wall, cartouche-of-arms. Floor-slabs: In N. chapel (1) to John Ashby, 1713, and Judith (Turner), his wife, with achievement-of-arms. In nave—(2) to Sir Richard Newdigate, Baronet, sergeant-at-law, 1678, and Juliana (Leigh) his wife, 1685, with shield-of-arms; (3) to John Pritchett, Bishop of Gloucester, 1680–1; (4) to Abraham Stanyon, 1696, black marble slab with defaced achievement-of-arms; (5) to John Stanyon, 1701, of black marble, with defaced achievement-of-arms. In S. aisle—(6) to Robert Newdigate, 1695. Piscina: In S. wall of S. aisle, recess (Plate 21) with moulded and trefoiled ogee head, cinque-foiled drain and shelf, 14th-century, modern label and stops. Plate: includes a cup of 1561 with a band of conventional foliage on the bowl, ornamented base; a cup of c. 1630, given by Humfrey Kelsall and Elizabeth his wife, and a 17th-century paten with initials I.P. Reredos (Plate 130): consisting of a long panel of elaborate pierced scroll and acanthus design, with moulded top and bottom rails and projecting brackets at the ends carved with angel-heads and pendants; on the top rail, two kneeling angels, late 17th-century, said to have come from Flanders. Screen: at W. end of N. chapel, in two stages, with close lower panels and open upper panels of two lights with traceried heads; late 15th or early 16th-century, made up with modern work. Sundials: on buttress to S. wall of S. aisle, two scratch-dials. Miscellanea: In N. chapel, in splays of E. window, two small brick panels with arms of Ashby. In churchyard, in E. wall, two mutilated stone figures of women in classical costume, 17th-century.
b(2) Chapel (Plate 131), at Moor Hall Farm, 750 yards S.S.W. of the church. The walls are of flint-rubble with Reigate stone dressings and much 17th-century and later brick repair. The property seems to have been granted to the Order of St. John of Jerusalem late in the 12th century and to have become a preceptory of that Order. The existing building was no doubt the chapel and was built early in the 13th century.
Architectural Description—The Building (34½ ft. by 18 ft.) is of two storeys, the original first-floor level being marked by an internal offset. The E. wall has three graduated 13th-century lancet windows in the upper part. The N. wall has, at the E. end, a 17th or 18th-century opening now blocked; immediately W. of it is a small 13th-century lancet window. Below this window is a 13th-century doorway with jambs and segmental head of two continuous chamfered orders, partly replaced by brick; further W. is a modern opening now blocked and above it is a 13th-century doorway, with chamfered jambs and two-centred head. The S. wall has been much repaired towards the E., where there is a modern window; further W. are remains of a small blocked single-light window and again to the W. is a small single-light window with a square head; on the upper floor are two original lancet-windows, with a small lancet-window to the E. of them. The W. wall has a modern window and above it is a tall 13th-century lancet-window.
The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and timber-framing and the roofs are tiled. The middle portion of the W. wall is perhaps part of a 16th-century house; the S.E. wing is of early, and the N.W. wing of late 17th-century date, and there are various modern additions. Inside the building, the staircase of c. 1700 has turned balusters and close moulded strings. In a room on the ground-floor are two early 17th-century bolection-moulded panels with strapwork ornament. The first floor has exposed timber-framing and in one of the rooms are some 16th-century flat-shaped balusters.
The Barn, N.E. of the house, is of the 16th century and of two parts roofed at right-angles to one another; the walls are of weather-boarded timber-framing; the roof of the E. part is of queen-post type with curved wind-braces.
b(5) Almshouses (Plate 66), 300 yards N.W. of the church, are of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. The almshouses were built by Alice, Countess of Derby (died 1636), after her second marriage to Sir Thomas Egerton, (afterwards Lord Ellesmere and Viscount Brackley) in 1600. They are arranged in two groups of four tenements divided by a central passage and forming an H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the N. and S. ends. A brick string course runs round the W. part of the building; the windows have chamfered brick heads, jambs and sills; the roofs are gabled and the chimney-stacks have diagonal shafts. On the W. front, over the central passage, is a carved stone achievement-of-arms of the foundress. Inside the building there is one original moulded and battened door, and, on the first floor, some exposed timber-framing.
b(8) Brakespear, house and dovecote 800 yards E. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was practically re-built late in the 17th century but may incorporate some remains of a 16th-century house. The E. and W. wings are modern additions. The N. front has an eaves-cornice which is continued round the building; the windows appear to have been renewed but the central doorway retains its original shell-hood with an achievement-of-arms of Ashby; the hood rests on acanthus-consoles. The S. front does not appear to retain any ancient features. Inside the building, the hall has a late 16th or early 17th-century fireplace flanked by coupled Doric columns supporting a moulded shelf with arabesque ornament; the overmantel is of two bays flanked by twisted Ionic columns and divided by an enriched diminishing pilaster, all supporting an enriched cornice; the bays have geometrical panelling with a framing of con ventional foliage; there is also some 17th-century panelling, made up with modern work; the windows of the hall have the following pieces of 16th-century painted glass—(a) a quartered shield of Hastings impaling Russell, (b) a strapwork cartouche with the date 1569, (c) a shield-of-arms of Ashby impaling Wroth in a cartouche with four heads in medallions, (d) a shield-of-arms of Ashby impaling a quartered coat, (e) the royal arms of Elizabeth; set in the door are two quarries with a rebus of Ashby and a motto. The Dining Room has a 17th-century fireplace flanked by consoles with heads at the top supporting the shelf; the overmantel is flanked by Corinthian columns supporting an enriched cornice; in the middle is a wreath with the achievement-of-arms of Ashby quartering Wroth and rebuses of Ashby; the walls are lined with early 17th-century panelling divided into bays by Ionic pilasters and finished with an enriched entablature; the windows have the following pieces of 16th-century painted glass—shields-of-arms of (a) Ashby with an altered impalement, (b) Ashby impaling Gernon quartering Henson, (c) France and England quarterly, (d) Ashby impaling a second coat, (e) the quartered arms of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, with a garter, also a cartouche with the date 1572 and other fragments. The late 17th-century main staircase has twisted balusters and close strings.
The Dovecote (Plate 49), N.W. of the house, is an early 17th-century square structure of brick with a pyramidal roof. The doorway has a segmental-pointed head and above it is a two-light window with a moulded label.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. Many of the buildings have exposed external framing and internal ceiling-beams, and some retain original chimney-stacks.
b(10) Manor Court, 600 yards N.N.W. of the church, was built probably in the 16th century on a half H-shaped plan with a central hall, but, except for the S. wing, it has been much altered and added to. The original roof is visible in the S. wing.
b(14) King's Arms Inn, 1,120 yards N. of the church. The N. wing includes part of the original 15th-century house, but it appears to have been largely re-built in the 17th century and has modern additions on the W. Inside the building the original wing retains a tie-beam with the mortice for a former king-post.
a(18) Whiteheath Farm, house and barn, stands back from the road, 1¼ m. N. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics and has later additions on the N. and S. The walls have been refaced. The Barn, E. of the house, is of six bays; the roof has braced tie-beams and curved wind-braces.
a(20) Meadow Cottage, W. of the road, 80 yards W. of (19), was built in the 16th century and was altered and added to in the 17th century. A two-storeyed bay-window on the N.E. front has been destroyed, but the gable remains.
a(21) Cripps Farm Cottage, house and barn, 320 yards N. of (19). The House was built probably in the 16th century. The Barn, S.E. of the house, is in two parts, the five E. bays are of 16th-century date and the western part was added late in the 17th or early in the 18th century; the roof of both parts is of queen-post type.
b(23) Bourne Farm, house and barns, 1,250 yards E. of the church. The House is built of brick with blue brick diapering; the chimney-stacks have diagonal shafts. The Barns, N.W. of the house, have exposed framing.
c(27) Crows Nest Farm, house 650 yards S.E. of (26), was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century; it has later additions on the W. and the front has been refaced. Inside the building are some cupboards made up of late 16th-century panelling, with cock's-head hinges.
c(28) Swakeley Farm, house and barns, about 2½ m. S.E. of the church. The House is of brick and of two storeys with attics; it was built about 1709, the date and initials R.A. appearing on a chimney-stack, and has later additions. The entrance-door has moulded battens and a moulded frame. Two Barns, S. and E. of the house, are weather-boarded; the roofs are of queen-post construction.