An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
24 HARMONDSWORTH (A.d.)
(1) Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 127) stands on the N. side of the parish. The walls generally are of flint-rubble with dressings of Reigate and some Barnack stone; the upper part of the tower is of brick; the roofs are tiled. The Nave with the S. arcade and South Aisle were built late in the 12th century. The N. arcade and Aisle were built and the Chancel probably enlarged early in the 13th century. The North Chapel was added probably in the 14th century. Early in the 15th century the Chancel was largely re-built and probably lengthened and the S. aisle remodelled. About 1500 the chancel was widened, its N. arcade built, the N. chapel heightened and the Tower added; a beginning was also made in the reconstruction of the S. arcade of the nave and the chancel-arch was removed. The church has been extensively restored in modern times and the Porch and Vestry added.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (31½ ft. by 20 ft.) has a much restored early 15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head. In the N. wall is an arcade of c. 1500 and of three bays with moulded four-centred arches, octagonal piers and a half-octagonal E. respond, with moulded capitals and bases; this arcade is continued into the nave. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern all modern except for parts of the splays and rear-arch; the western window is of similar character to the E. window but of two lights and much restored; the partly restored doorway is of early 15th-century date and has hollow-chamfered jambs and two-centred arch.
The North Chapel (31½ ft. by 10 ft.) has a much restored E. window of c. 1500 and of three cinque-foiled lights in a segmental-pointed head with a moulded label. In the N. wall are three windows, the easternmost uniform with that in the E. wall and the other two of the 14th century and each of one trefoiled light, restored externally.
The Nave (44¾ ft. by 22¼ ft.) has a N. arcade of three bays mostly of early 13th-century date, with two-centred arches of one chamfered order with a chamfered label; the piers are cylindrical with moulded bases and capitals and square abaci; the W. respond has an attached half-column; the E. bay has been half re-built with the arcade of the chancel, the two works meeting at the crown of the arch. The late 12th-century S. arcade is of three bays with two-centred arches of one chamfered order with a chamfered label; the cylindrical piers and half-cylindrical E. respond have scalloped capitals; the arch of the W. bay has been reconstructed when the tower was built and the W. pier has been restored. The W. window is modern except for the splays and rear-arch.
The North Aisle (10 ft. wide) has, in the N. wall, three windows, the easternmost of early 16th-century date and of three four-centred lights in a square head with a label; the middle window is modern except for the splays and rear-arch; the westernmost window is of early 13th-century origin, restored externally and of one pointed light; the N. doorway is modern. In the W. wall is a modern window.
The South Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has a much restored 15th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights in a square head with a modern label. In the S. wall are two similar windows, much restored and without labels; the re-set 12th-century S. doorway (Plate 135) has a round arch of three orders, the outer with cheveron-ornament, the middle with a roll-moulding and beak-heads and the inner with diaper-ornament; the middle order rests on enriched shafts with scalloped capitals but the other orders are continued down the jambs.
The South West Tower (11¼ ft. by 12¼ ft.) is of three stages (Plate 136), the lowest of flint and the two upper of brick finished with an embattled parapet with pedestal-pinnacles at the angles, all rendered in cement. The whole structure appears to be of c. 1500. The ground-stage has an E. doorway with chamfered jambs and four-centred arch. The N. tower-arch is two-centred with mouldings dying on to the chamfered responds The S. and W. windows are modern. The upper stages are of early 16th-century date. The second stage has, in the S. and W. walls, a window of one elliptical headed light; W. of the S. window is a sunk panel. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a window of two elliptical-headed lights in an elliptical head, all cement-rendered.
The Roof of the chancel is modern except for one truss of c. 1500 with a moulded tie-beam and a collar with curved braces. The roof of the nave is of the 15th century and of four main bays with king-post trusses; the king-posts are modern. The early 16th-century roof (Plate 3) of the N. chapel is of three bays and of single hammer-beam type with moulded main timbers and carved pendants to the side-posts; the wall-posts rest on moulded brackets. The N. aisle has a 15th-century roof of three bays and of simple tie and collar-beam type. The 15th-century pent-roof of the S. aisle is of three bays.
Fittings—Bells: six; 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th by Bryan Eldridge, 1658. Book: Bible of James I (1611) with cover of oak and tooled leather. Bracket: In nave—on haunch of S.E. arch, moulded bracket probably for front of rood-loft, 15th-century. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Jane (Banckys), widow of Mathew Cruchfeild, 1683–4. In N. chapel—(2) to Frances Woosley, 1712, with achievement-of-arms. In S. aisle—(3) to Richard Combes, 1672, with achievement-of-arms; (4) to Thomas Jordan, 1694–5, with achievement-of-arms. Font (Plate 9): of Purbeck marble with octagonal bowl, central and eight small shafts and chamfered plinth, late 12th-century, repolished. Piscinæ: In chancel—recess (Plate 21) with cinque-foiled head and part of round drain, 15th-century, modern stem. In N. chapel—in S. wall, recess with four-centred head, early 16th-century, sill modern. Seating: In N. aisle, nave and S. aisle, pews (Plate 20) with panelled standards with enriched buttresses and moulded rails, continued along panelled backs; buttresses repeated on back where exposed, early 16th-century. Sedilia: In chancel—of three bays (Plate 21) with cinque-foiled arches in square main head, 15th-century. Stoup: E. of S. doorway—recess with four-centred head, c. 1500, bowl removed. Sundial: On S. wall of S. aisle—circular dial. Miscellanea: Incorporated in N. wall of N. chapel, fragment with diaper-ornament and in splays of S. doorway, fragments of diapered stones, 12th-century.
(2) Barn and moat, 70 yards W. of the church. An alien priory, cell to the Benedictine abbey of the Holy Trinity Rouen was founded here temp. William I; it passed into the possession of Winchester College in 1391 and to other owners after 1544. The Barn (Plate 140) is a timber-framed building of twelve bays, 190 ft. by 36 ft., with boarded walls and a tiled roof. It was built in the 14th or 15th century and has two rows of posts on stone bases, supporting king-post trusses with curved braces below the tie-beams; the aisles have ties at the level of the wall-plate, with curved braces below and a curved strut above each. Three bays, the third, seventh and tenth from the S., are floored and have entrances on the E. The main roof is continued over the aisles without a break. The Moat retains only its W. arm, with traces of the enclosure on the N. and S.
(3) The Grange, house 160 yards S.S.E. of the church, is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. It was built in 1675 on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the S. and E. There are some minor additions. The exterior has a moulded band between the storeys and a modillioned eaves-cornice; the windows generally are of the two-light transomed type, but the lower-range windows on the N. have been carried down to the ground. The central doorways on the W. and N. have moulded frames and lights over them; above the W. doorway is a sunk brick panel with the date 1675; the S. end of the roof has a wrought iron weather-vane; between the sash-windows at this end is a painted sun-dial with the date 1695. Inside the building, the dining-room is lined with re-used early 17th-century panelling with a late 17th-century cornice; the doorway has an eared architrave, entablature and key-block. There are several late 17th-century panelled doors. The original staircase (Plate 37) has symmetrically turned balusters and square newels with ball-terminals and pendants. On the first floor are two fire-places with moulded surrounds, entablatures and panelled overmantels; a third fireplace has a moulded surround and shelf. The garden has a brick wall of late 17th-century date and two gate-piers with cornices and ball-terminals.
(4) Harmondsworth Hall, 130 yards S. of the church, has been completely remodelled or re-built in the 18th century and more recent times, but incorporates a 17th-century chimney-stack, of cruciform plan set diagonally.
(6) House (Plate 28), three tenements, on the S. side of the street, 100 yards S.E. of the church. The W. cross-wing was built early in the 16th century but the main block seems to have been re-built at a later date. The upper storey projects on the N. front and the cross-wing has close-set timber-framing, with curved braces in the upper part.
(16) Heathrow Farm, house and barns 350 yards S.S.W. of (15). The House was built late in the 16th century and has 18th-century and later additions on the N. side. The house has been refaced in brick. Inside the building one room has an original moulded ceiling-beam. There are also two original doors and a little original panelling with enriched upper panels. The Barn, W. of the house, is of the 17th century, timber-framed and of six bays with a porch. A rather earlier barn adjoins this one on the S.W. To the W. of the second barn is a third, of four bays, and of late 16th or early 17th-century date.
(21) Perry Oaks Farm, house, barns and pigeon-house, 1½ m. S.S.E. of the church. The House is a brick building, probably of late 16th-century date. It was remodelled in the 18th century when an addition was made at the N. end and the W. side perhaps slightly heightened. The E. side has three gables. In the house are three doors of 17th and early 18th-century date. The Barn, N.W. of the house, is timber-framed and probably of the 16th century; it is of seven bays, with queen-post trusses and a porch. The barn, W. of the house, has been incorporated in a larger building. The Pigeon-house, N. of the house, is a square timber-framed building of the 17th century, with a pyramidal roof.
(26) House, nearly opposite (25), was built in the 16th century with cross-wings at the ends. The upper storey of the wings probably projected in front, but has been under-built, and the N. wing has been refronted in brick. There are some original windows with moulded frames and mullions and some original and later doors.
(28) Weekly House and barns 50 yards S.W. of (27). The House is of brick and has a coved eaves-cornice on the E. and W. sides. Inside the building, the original staircase has turned balusters and square newels with ball-terminals and pendants. There are some original doors and a fireplace with a moulded surround, shelf and panelled overmantel with flanking pilasters. The Barns, E. of the house, are timber-framed.
(29) Earthwork, called Camp on O.S., nearly 2 m. S.E. of the church, was an oblong of about 90 by 130 yards with rounded angles. It has been practically obliterated by the plough. It is referred to in Aubrey's MS. Mon. Brit. iii, 161.