An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
28 HENDON (C.b.)
(O.S. 6 in. (a)VI, S.W. (b)VI, S.E. (c)XI, N.W. (d)XI, N.E.)
Hendon is a parish and borough adjoining Finchley on the W. The church is the principal monument.
d(1) Parish Church of St. Mary (Plate 137) stands near the middle of the parish. The walls are probably of flint-rubble except the tower which is of rag-stone; the dressings are of Reigate stone and the roofs are lead-covered. Remains of a 12th-century chancel (16 ft. by 12 ft.) are said to have been found under the present chancel in 1929–31. The Chancel and Nave and S. arcade were re-built about the middle of the 13th century and the North Aisle may also be of this date. The E. window was re-built under the will of John Ware, 1408, and the N. arcade was re-built and the West Tower added in the same century. The North Chapel was added or re-built early in the 16th century. In 1827 the chancel-arch was re-built and a S. chapel was added with a wide arch between it and the chancel, the N. chapel was heightened and galleries introduced. In 1915 a new chancel and nave were built on the site of the former S. chapel and aisle and a new S. aisle, porch and vestries built. The interior has been again restored in 1929–31.
The details of the chancel are of some architectural interest and the font and monuments are noteworthy.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (25 ft. by 17ft.) has 13th-century shafts in the E. angles (Plate 71) with moulded and foliated capitals from which sprang chamfered wall-arches; the wall-arch in the E. wall has been cut into by the early 15th-century E. window; this is of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head; only the springers now remain of the wall-arches in the side walls; the S. arch is cut into by the E. jamb of an early 16th-century window beyond which is the E. splay probably of a 13th-century window. Further W. on both sides is a wide modern arch. The chancel-arch is modern.
The North Chapel (24 ft. by 14 ft.) has an early 16th-century E. window of three pointed lights in a four-centred head with moulded reveals and label. In the N. wall is a window of the same date and of three lights in a square head. In the S.W. angle are remains of what may have been a staircase to the rood-loft. In the W. wall is a modern window and below it is an opening with a 15th-century S. respond and a corbel of the same date on the N. wall.
The Nave (45¼ ft. by 19½ ft.) (Plate 5) has a 15th-century N. arcade of three bays, with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, incorporating 13th-century material; the octagonal piers and semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and bases. The mid 13th-century S. arcade is of three bays with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders; the octagonal piers and semi-octagonal responds have moulded capitals and bases. The clearstorey windows are modern.
The North Aisle (7½ ft. wide) has, in the N. wall, a partly restored 16th-century window of four pointed lights in a square head; further W. is a modern doorway. In the W. wall is a window, all modern except the splays.
The South Aisle (formerly 8 ft. wide) has been removed except for the W. wall which has a 13th-century window of one pointed light, now blocked. A modern internal buttress at the W. end marks the line of the former S. wall. In the N. wall, by the E. arch, is a narrow opening with a rounded head, giving access to the former rood-loft; it is now blocked. Re-set in the S. wall of the modern S. aisle is the late 14th-century S. doorway; it has moulded jambs and two-centred arch. Re-set in the modern porch is a 15th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights in square head.
The West Tower (about 10¼ ft. square) is of the 15th century, repaired in 1783, the date on the rain-water heads; it is of three stages with an embattled parapet. The tower-arch has moulded responds and two-centred arch. The W. doorway is modern and above it is an 18th-century window in the blocking of an earlier window. The second stage has a doorway in the E. wall. In the N. wall is a modern window with remains of an earlier window to the E.; in the S. wall is a window now covered by the clock-face. In the W. wall is a 15th-century single-light window, now blocked. The bell-chamber has, in each wall, a modern window.
The Roof of the nave is of the 15th century partly restored; it is of four bays, flat-pitched, with moulded and embattled wall-plates and tie-beams with curved braces springing from moulded corbels; the purlins are also moulded. The 15th-century roof of the N. aisle is flat-pitched and of three bays; the principals have carved bosses in the middle, one a rosette and another with foliage sprouting from a grotesque head. Some timbers from the former S. aisle are re-used in the modern vestry.
Fittings—Bells: six; 3rd by Knight of Reading, 1638; 5th by James Barlett, 1690. Brasses and Indents. Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Richard Marsh, 1615, inscription only; on S. wall, (2) to Robert Nuttinge, 1618, inscription only. In N. chapel, loose, (3) to John Downner, 151., Johane his wife and John their son, 1515, inscription and figure of son, two other figures lost. Indents: In chancel— (1) of bracket-brass with Virgin and Child under canopy and kneeling figures of man and wife at foot. In N. chapel—(2) of inscription-plate. Font (Plate 51): heavy square bowl with enriched intersecting arcading of eight bays on each face, springing from attached shafts with cushion-capitals, enriched band below, stem consisting of central dwarf shaft and four small shafts at angles, mid to late 12th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. side, (1) to Sir Jeremy Whichcot, Bart., 1677, slab (Plate 144) of touch with bay-leaf border and an achievement-of-arms on a trophy of arms, on modern base. In N. chapel —on N. wall, (2) to Edward Fowler D.D., Bishop of Gloucester, 1714, draped marble tablet (Plate 65) with swags and cherub-heads, flanking Corinthian pilasters with entablatures and curved pediment, four cherubs, achievement and cartouche-of-arms; (3) to Sir William Rawlinson, sergeant-at-law, 1703, white marble altar-tomb (Plate 145) with reclining effigy of man in robes and wig with seal-bag and mace, back-piece with flanking pilasters, entablatures, pediment and cartouche-of-arms, wrought-iron railing in front, monument erected in 1705. In N. aisle—on N. wall, (4) to Sir William Herbert, K.B., Lord Powis, 1655–6, alabaster and black marble tablet with broken scrolled pediment, achievement and two shields-of-arms; (5) to William Nicoll, 1644, Anne (Swallow) his wife and William, 1665–6, and Elizabeth his children, alabaster and marble tablet with scrolls and two defaced shields-of-arms. In nave—on W. wall, (6) to Charles Mordaunt, 1681–2, scrolled marble tablet. In churchyard—N.E. of N. chapel, (7) to Christopher Young, 1708–9, table-tomb with achievement-of-arms; S. of S. doorway, (8) to John Gardiner, 1703, headstone; (9) to Anne, wife of Robert Poulson, 1713, headstone. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to Katharine (Herbert), wife of Sir James Palmer, 1666, with lozenge-of-arms; (2) to Sarah, wife of William Geere, 1650; (3) to William Geere, 1651–2, with shield-of-arms; (4) to Nicholas Herne, 1642–3 and Sarah, his second wife, 1672; (5) to Rose, 1677–8 and Catharine, 1690, wives of Robert Etheredg, also to Robert Etheredg, 1706. In N. chapel—(6) to John Nicoll, 1649–50 and Anne, his wife, 1659. In nave—(7) fragment with the date 1654. Paintings: In chancel—below E. window, two painted texts in black-letter, in scrolled border, probably 16th-century; on S. wall, at E. end, masonry-pattern in red line with rosettes and dots; over this, remains of an arch-design with foliage-scrolls, mid 13th-century; on wall-arches in chancel, alternate voussoirs painted white and red, same date. In N. aisle—framed oil-painting of the Virgin and Child with St. John the Baptist, ascribed to the school of the Bassani, c. 1600. Piscina: In chancel—remains of recess and S. springer of head, slots in jamb for shelves, 13th-century. Plate: includes a cup and cover-paten of 1607 (Plate 22) and a late 17th-century paten given by Sir Paul Wichcut. Royal Arms: In N. aisle—on N. wall, painted on plaster, Stuart arms partly cut away by window, window probably partly blocked when arms were painted. Miscellanea: Incorporated in internal buttress at W. end—various worked stones, 12th-century and later.
a(2) Well in the Grove, N.W. of Highwood Hill and 2¾ m. N.N.W. of the church, consists of a sunk circular enclosure of brick with a tile pavement and a flight of steps. On the N. or N.E. side is a scrolled tablet inscribed "Mrs. Rachell Russell's gift June y. 10 1681."
c(3) Copt Hall, now flats, about 1¼ m. N.N.W. of the church, is of three storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are slate-covered. It was re-built in 1624 by Randall Nicoll, but has been so extensively altered that few original features survive. Inside the building is a fireplace with an oak head-beam bearing the initials and date R.N. 1624. The staircase has late 17th-century twisted balusters.
b(4) Frith Manor, house 2 m. N.E. of the church, was re-built late in the 18th century but incorporates a 16th-century stone fireplace with moulded jambs and four-centred head; there is also some linen-fold panelling brought from elsewhere.
b(5) Bittacy House, 1,000 yards W. of (4), is modern but contains a wood-carving of the royal arms of James I, with his initials.
b(6) Nicoll Almshouses, on the W. side of the road at Mill Hill, 1¾ m. N. of the church, form a range of six tenements of one storey; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tiled. On the N. front is a tablet inscribed "These six Almes Houses were erected in ye year of Our Lord 1696 at the sole charge of Thomas Nicoll of this Parish Gent. for the use of ye poor." The central chimney-stack has a panel with the initials and date T. N. 1696. The building was extensively repaired in 1893.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tile or slate-covered.
Condition—Good or fairly good.
b(7) Range of tenements, 20 yards S.E. of (6), is mainly timber-framed and weather-boarded. It was built late in the 17th or early in the 18th century.
b(8) House, with shop 50 yards N.W. of (6), is of two storeys with attics. It is said to have been built in 1707 but has been much altered and added to.
b(9) House, immediately N.W. of (8), has been much altered and heightened.
b(10) Rosebank, house on the N.E. side of the road 50 yards N. of (9), is timber-framed and weather-boarded. It is said to have been built in 1678 as a Friends' meeting-house, but after 1719 was turned into a dwelling and a floor inserted.
b(11) The Grove, house 200 yards N.W. of (10), is timber-framed and weather-boarded. It was built late in the 16th or early in the 17th century, with cross-wings at each end. Inside the building, the S. room is partly lined with original panelling and there is also some panelling in the hall.
a(12) Highwood Ash, house on the E. side of the road at Highwood Hill, over 2½ m. N.N.W. of the church, was built probably early in the 18th century but has been subsequently altered. At the back is a bay-window with a modillioned cornice.
a(13) Rising Sun Inn, 70 yards S.W. of (12), has been extensively altered and added to.
d(14) Church End Farm, house 30 yards W.S.W. of the church, is of three storeys. The exterior retains two late 17th-century windows with solid frames and the central chimney-stack has four grouped diagonal shafts. Inside the building is a considerable amount of original panelling and some panelled doors.
d(15) Range of two cottages at the Model Farm, 100 yards S. of the church, is partly timber-framed but has been mostly refaced in brick.
d(16) Barn, 80 yards E. of (15), is of one storey and has been shortened at the W. end.
d(17) Range of four tenements on the W. side of the Burroughs 650 yards S.S.W. of the church, was built probably early in the 18th century, but has been much altered.