An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
31 HILLINGDON, WEST (A.c.)
(O.S. 6 in. XIV, N.E.)
West Hillingdon is a parish almost surrounding that of Uxbridge.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of the 17th century and of two storeys, with or without attics; the walls are timber-framed and the roofs are tiled. Some of the buildings have exposed ceiling-beams.
(1) House, with shops Nos. 219–222 on the N.E. side of High Street Uxbridge and 340 yards S.E. of Uxbridge church, is mainly of brick.
(2) House, immediately N.W. of (1), has been refronted in brick.
(3) House, with shops Nos. 215–217, immediately N.W. of (2) has a brick front with a cornice under the eaves.
(4) House, with shops Nos. 210–212, 10 yards N.W. of (3), has been refronted.
(5) House, with shops Nos. 207–209, immediately N.W. of (4), has been much altered.
(6) House, with shops Nos. 204–206, immediately N.W. of (5), was built c. 1700 and has a brick front with a wooden eaves-cornice.
(7) House, with shops Nos. 188–190, 90 yards N.W. of (6), has exposed framing at the ends.
(8) Park Lodge, about 500 yards E. of Uxbridge church, is a brick building almost entirely re-built late in the 18th century. The Stable, N.E. of the house, is also a brick building and retains some of its original stall-divisions.
(9) Cottage, on the W. side of Cowley Road 1,060 yards S.S.W. of Uxbridge church, has been refronted late in the 18th century.