An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
33 ICKENHAM (B.c.)
a(1) Parish Church of St. Giles (Plates 126) stands in the N. part of the parish. The walls are of flint rubble and brick with dressings of freestone and brick; the roofs are tiled. The Nave and Chancel were built in the second half of the 14th century, the nave being the earlier of the two; the bell-turret was added or re-built in the 15th century. The North Aisle was added by William Say c. 1575–80 and the South Porch is of about the same date. The North Vestry was added, as a Mortuary Chapel, c. 1640–50 probably by the Haringtons of Swakeleys. The church was restored in the 19th century when the chancel-arch and the N. arcade were re-built.
Architectural Description—The Chancel (16 ft. by 12 ft.) has a partly restored late 14th-century E. window of three cinque-foiled lights with vertical tracery in a two-centred head. In the N. wall is a wide opening with a plain wooden lintel. In the S. wall is a restored late 14th-century window of two cinque-foiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head. The chancel-arch is modern.
The Nave (32 ft. by 16½ ft.) has a modern N. arcade; further W. is a blocked window perhaps of the 14th century. In the S. wall are two windows, the eastern of the 14th century and of two trefoiled lights in a two-centred head with a moulded label; the western window is modern except for the 14th-century splays; there are two modern dormer-windows; the late 14th-century S. doorway has moulded jambs and two-centred arch. The square timber bell-turret over the W. end of the nave is supported on four chamfered posts with cross-beams and curved braces and moulded joists; the upper part of the bell-turret and the spire are modern.
The North Aisle (37 ft. by about 18 ft.) is of c. 1575–80 and of brick. In the E. wall is a re-set late 14th-century window similar to the S. window in the chancel but with the head cut off square above the lights; further S. is a modern doorway. The N. wall is of two gabled bays each with a 16th-century window of two four-centred lights in a square head and with an oval window in the gable. In the W. wall is a blocked window with stone splays and S. of it is a re-set 14th-century doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred head.
The North Vestry (17 ft. by 7½ ft.) is of c. 1640–50. The N., S. and W. walls have a continuous series of arched recesses, internally, two on the N. and S. and six on the W. side; the recesses have moulded heads and flanking pilasters with moulded capitals and bases, and bands of arabesque ornament; two recesses on the N. and four on the W. are pierced by modern windows. Above the recesses on the N. is a round window and there is a round panel in the S. wall in a similar position.
The South Porch is of late 16th-century date, restored and partly re-built. It is of timber on dwarf walls. The side walls have original plates with the sockets for four diamond-shaped mullions and the gable has foiled barge-boards.
The Roof of the chancel is of trussed-rafter type with one chamfered tie-beam; it is probably of late 14th-century date. The 15th-century roof of the nave is trussed-rafter type with two king-post trusses and curved braces to the central purlin. The late 16th-century roof of the N. aisle is of two gabled bays each with a central queen-post truss and curved wind-braces.
Fittings—Bells: three and a sanctus; 1st by Robert Mot, 1589 (or 2); 2nd c. 1600; 3rd by T. Bullisdon, c. 1510 and inscribed "Sancte Necolae ora pro nobis"; sanctus by Phelps, 1711. Brasses: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) of Edmund Shoreditch, , and [Ellen (Say) his wife], figures of man in armour and wife, two sons and one daughter, four shields-of-arms; on S. wall, (2) of William Say, 1582, figures of man in civil costume, Isabel his wife, seven sons and nine daughters, three shields-of-arms. In N. aisle—on E. wall, (3) figure of man of the Say family, c. 1580, in civil costume, two shields-of-arms, indent of brass in floor below. Communion Table: In chancel—with turned legs and moulded brackets to top rail, 17th-century. Door: In S. doorway—of battens with strap-hinges, probably 16th-century, repaired. Glass: In nave— in S.E. window, fragments of coloured glass, 14th-century. Monuments and Floor-slabs. Monuments: In chancel—on N. wall, (1) to Michaell Shordich, 1623, slate tablet; (2) to Richard Shorditch, 1660, black marble tablet with skull and cross-bones, etc.; on S. wall, (3) to Robert Shordiche, 1676, black and white stone oval tablet with scrolls and achievement-of-arms; on S. window-sill, (4) to Robert, infant son of Sir Robert Clayton, 1665, veined marble effigy (Plate 129) of infant on marble slab with shield-of-arms. In N. vestry—on N. wall, (5) to Elizabeth, daughter of Sir James Harington Bart., 1647, black marble slab; (6) to Sir Edward Harington Bart., 1652, black marble slab; on W. wall, (7) to Katherine, daughter of Sir James Harington Bart., 1653–4, marble slab; (8) to Thomas Vyner, 1707, marble slab; on S. wall, (9) marble bust (Plate 155) of the Earl of Essex in armour, from the screen at Swakeleys, mid 17th-century. In churchyard —E. of porch, (10) to William Turner, 1689–90, and Judith his wife, 1711, table-tomb; S.W. of porch (11) to George Howlet, 1681, head-stone. Floor-slabs: In chancel—(1) to John Glover, D.D., rector, 1714, also to Robert Evans, 1694–5, with shield-of-arms. In N. aisle—(2) to Elizabeth, wife of John . . . early 18th-century; (3) to John Blissard, late 17th-century; (4) to Elizabeth (Crosier) wife of Richard Dobyns, 1669. In N. vestry—(5) to Elizabeth, daughter of Sir James Harinton Bart., 1654. Paintings: In chancel—on E. and S. walls, remains of colour. In N. aisle—on E. wall, remains of running foliage decoration, &c., 16th-century. In nave—on roof-plates, cheveron and and other ornament, 16th-century. Piscinæ: In chancel—recess with cinque-foiled head, projecting sill and septfoiled drain, late 14th-century. In nave—in S. wall, recess with trefoiled head and round drain, 14th-century. Plate (Plate 23): includes flagon and paten of 1682 given by Sir Robert Vyner, Bart., 1683, both with achievement-of-arms. Scratchings: In N. aisle—on splay of E. window, the following names and initials, (a) Pratty Clarke, (b) E.E. 1586 P.W., (c) Kended (a former rector) 1589. Stoup: In porch E. of S. doorway—much damaged remains of bowl, mediæval.
a(2) Swakeleys, house and outbuildings ½ m. S.W. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of red brick with stone or plastered dressings and the roofs are tiled. It was built by Sir Edmund Wright between the years 1629 and 1638, on an H-shaped plan with the cross-wings at the N. and S. ends. Sir James Harrington owned the house under the Commonwealth and made certain alterations; according to Pepys he erected the screen of the Hall and the plaster ceiling of the Great Chamber is perhaps his work. The house was bought by Sir Robert Vyner in 1665. Some minor alterations were made in the 18th century and the house has been reconditioned in recent years.
The elevations are symmetrically designed, with plastered entablatures at the floor levels and curvilinear gables finished with pediments to the attic-windows; the windows are square headed, the larger ones with mullions and transoms; they are mostly cementrendered with some stonework; the windows of the hall and dining-room are of black marble; above the principal windows, the entablatures have straight or curved pediments. The W. Front (Plate 156) has two-storeyed bay-windows to the projecting wings and a two-storeyed central porch; this porch has a round outer archway of dark marble flanked by Doric pilasters supporting an entablature and broken curved pediment with a cartouche; the porch is finished with an early 18th-century modillioned cornice of wood. The main wall, above the porch, has a central feature with a middle and two oval side windows, a cornice and above it a shell-headed niche with a man's bust (Plate 155) in Roman costume; the niche has supporting scrolls and a curved cornice or pediment. A rain-water head on this front has the initials and date E.W. (for Sir Edmund Wright) 1638. The E. Front is generally similar to the W. front but has no porch; in place of this is a dark marble doorway with a segmental keyed head, flanked by later fluted Corinthian pilasters with an entablature; the lower windows in the middle bay have cornices and the broken pediments seem to have been cut back nearly flush with the wall; the side windows above have plaster arabesque aprons in low relief and between them is an oval window; the central feature of the attic-storey is similar to that on the W. front but the niche is empty. The S. Front is finished with a range of four gables; two late 18th-century windows have been inserted on the ground floor; a rain-water head on this front has the initials and date E.W. 1638. The N. Front (Plate 157) is generally similar to the S. but the lower part was till recently covered in part by later additions and some of the windows have been blocked; there are additional windows in the middle bay including two of oval form on the first floor. The chimney-stacks are partly ancient and have either grouped diagonal or plain panelled shafts.
Interior—The porch has a panelled dado and seats and a plaster vault with a central pendant and strapwork ornament; the inner doorway has a moulded archivolt and imposts and a plain key-block. The Hall is lined with 18th-century panelling and has a fireplace of the same period; in it is an iron fire-back with a representation of the fall of Namur and the date 1695. The mid 17th-century screen (Plate 158) is of wood painted to imitate stone and marble; it is of three bays divided by Doric columns and flanked by pilasters, supporting an entablature with minor enrichments and a central curved and broken pediment with a bust of Charles I and two crouching lions; the middle bay has a round arch with a key-block and cherub-heads in the spandrels; the side doorways are also round-headed and above each is a cartouche-of-arms supported by cherubs; the N. face of the screen is similar but has pilasters in place of columns and a bust of Fairfax; a third bust from this screen is now in the church. The floor is paved with stone with small black squares at the angles. The N. wall of the screens passage is lined to half its height with original panelling finished with a cornice; the passage to the E. has similar panelling. The Dining Room is lined with panelling of early 17th-century character but most of it is modern. The S.W. Room has an early 18th-century marble surround to the fire-place. The N.W. Room is partly lined with original panelling and the angle-fireplace has an overmantel of two bays divided and flanked by enriched Doric columns supporting an enriched entablature; the bays are sub-divided by moulded ribs into small rectangular panels; the lower part of the overmantel is covered by modern panelling; beside the fireplace is a rack with an enriched head. The Kitchen has an early 18th-century fireplace with a segmental head and keystone. On the first floor the Saloon (Plate 159) is lined with 18th-century fielded panelling; the mid 17th-century ceiling is divided into panels by moulded trabeations with guilloche ornament on the soffit; the middle panel has an inner circle and the adjoining panels have laurel-wreaths; the main end panels have inner octagonal panels with cherub-heads in the spandrels; the panel in the projecting bay has a laurel-wreath and cherub-heads. The S.W. room has an early 18th-century marble surround to the fireplace with a cornice above. The middle S. room has a dado of original panelling and the fireplace has a black marble surround. The S.E. room has an early 18th-century marble surround to the fireplace with a wood cornice above it. The room S. of the staircase has an original wooden entablature with ornamental triglyphs and brackets. The panelled Room, N. of the staircase, is lined with original panelling and finished with an enriched entablature; the 18th-century marble fireplace is flanked by the lower parts of original fluted pilasters. The N.E. room has an original enriched entablature with bracket-triglyphs; this and other rooms have 18th-century marble surrounds to the fireplaces. The rooms to the W. retain some early 18th-century panelling and remains of an original enriched entablature. The main staircase itself has been renewed but the lower walls retain some original panelling; above the dado of the staircase the walls are painted up to the level of the first floor with rusticated masonry; above this are painted figure-subjects as follows—on the S. wall the death of Dido (Plate 161), on the N. wall the founding of Lavinium (Plate 161), on the W. wall a landscape (Plate 160) with a bridge and stream with an architectural setting and a draped curtain; above the doorway in this wall is painted a pedestal and urn; the ceiling (Plate 160) is painted to represent the sky with figures of Juno, Iris, etc.; the paintings are attributed to Robert Streater, temp. Charles II. In the 18th-century Orangery are two newels from the original staircase; they are square with shaped finials. The secondary staircase (Plate 37) has heavy turned balusters, handrails and strings. In the attics are some dadoes of c. 1700, painted to represent fielded panels.
The Stables form three sides of a quadrangle immediately N. of the house. They are partly of one storey and partly have attics above; the walls are of brick. They seem to have been built at two periods in the 17th century but have been much altered. The stables have round-headed doorways and windows, with solid frames. The coach-houses, flanking the entrance, were formerly open to the courtyard on the ground floor and have oak posts with moulded capitals and curved brackets under the moulded bressumer. The roofs are partly original. The Dovecote (Plate 49), N. of the house, is a square structure of brick with plastered quoins, entablature and pyramidal roof with a lantern. It was built about the same time as the house. Each wall has an oval opening in the upper part; there are two round-headed doorways on the S. side, the lower modern and giving access to an icepit in the middle of the building. The upper storey is lined with nests.
b(3) Manor Farm, house and moat 1,100 yards S.S.E. of the church. The House is of two storeys, timber-framed and with tiled roofs. It was built early in the 16th century on an L-shaped plan with the wings extending towards the N. and W. The staircase was added in the 17th century and there are 18th-century additions. The upper storey projects at the N. end of the W. wing on a moulded bressumer. On the E. side of the same wing is an original window of four round-headed lights with moulded frame and mullions. The W. wing has been refaced in brick. Inside the building, both wings have original moulded ceiling-beams and there are two doorways with four-centred heads. The N. room in the N. wing is partly lined with original linen-fold panelling and there are two blocked windows in the same room similar to that on the E. front. The 17th-century staircase has turned balusters.
a(4) Cottage, 60 yards E. of the church, was built late in the 15th or early in the 16th century, but has early 18th-century additions on the E. and N. The upper storey of the original block projects on the S. on heavy curved brackets. The walls have been faced in brick and on the S. front are the date and initials 1705 W. C. Inside the building, the original wing has moulded wall-posts with curved braces under the moulded ceiling-beam of the first-floor and also under the moulded and cambered tie-beam of the roof.
a(9) Barn, at Ivyhouse Farm, 365 yards W.N.W. of the church, was built in the 16th century, probably as a house. The upper storey projects on the S.W. side on curved brackets and there is a gabled cross-wing. The building is weather-boarded and has an extension on the N.W.