An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Middlesex. Originally published by His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1937.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
34 ISLEWORTH (C.d.)
(O.S. 6 in. XX, N.E.)
Isleworth is a parish on the left bank of the Thames adjoining Twickenham on the N. Syon House is the principal monument.
(1) Parish Church of All Saints (Plate 153) stands on the river bank. The walls of the nave are of brick and those of the tower of rag-stone with freestone dressings. The West Tower was built late in the 15th century. The Nave was re-built in 1706–7 and is said to have been in part designed by Sir Christopher Wren. The church was restored in 1866–8, when the Chancel, Vestry and Organ Chamber were added.
Architectural Description—The Nave (84½ ft. by 54 ft.) is of 1706–7 and of red brick. The interior is divided into a body and aisles by square brick piers, five on each side with chamfered stone bases; the piers are panelled in wood and have moulded capitals supporting the gallery-fronts; over each pier, above the gallery, is a timber Doric column, supporting a continuous entablature, from which springs the elliptical plastered ceiling. In the E. wall is a modern chancel-arch and at the end of the N. aisle are two round-headed windows, one above the other with moulded stone architraves; at the end of the S. aisle is a modern archway. The side walls have each two ranges of round-headed windows, two in each bay except the westernmost where the lower window is replaced by a square-headed doorway with moulded stone architrave, pediment and consoles. In the W. wall, flanking the tower, are two round-headed windows, at the gallerylevel.
The West Tower (12½ ft. square) is of late 15th-century date and of three stages with an embattled parapet and pinnacles at the angles. The tower-arch is two-centred and of two moulded orders, the outer continuous and the inner springing from attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. The W. doorway and window are modern except for part of the label of the doorway and part of the head and the moulded rear-arch of the window. The second stage has a square-headed doorway, now blocked, in the E. wall. In the N. wall is a fireplace with hollow-chamfered jambs and four-centred head. In the W. wall is a window of one square-headed light. The bell-chamber has, in the E., N. and S. walls, a wholly or partly restored window of two cinque-foiled lights in a square head, with a moulded label; there is a similar window of three lights in the W. wall.
Fittings—Brasses and Indent. Brasses: In nave— on E. wall, (1) to Margaret Dely, nun of Syon Abbey, 1561, small figure in gown, bodice, wrist-bands and veil; on floor of nave, (2) figure of man in armour, c. 1450; (3) to William Chase, sergeant to Henry VIII, 1544, inscription only; palimpsest on back 14th-century Flemish canopy-work; (4) figure of man in civil costume, c. 1590; (5) to Frances, daughter of Edwarde Holland, 15, inscription only, palimpsest on reverse, part of a 16th-century Flemish achievement; (6) to Katherine, wife of Richard Cox, 1598, inscription and figures of two sons. Indent: In churchyard—S. of S. doorway, fragmentary slab with remains of rivets. Communion Table: In S. aisle—with twisted legs, probably early 18th-century. Doors: In second stage of tower—two, of nail-studded battens, probably 17th-century. Galleries: On both sides of nave—with plain panelled fronts and cornices; galleries approached from staircases at W. ends of aisles with re-used turned balusters, early 18th-century. Monuments: In N. aisle —on N. wall of gallery, (1) of Katherine (Leigh), wife of Sir Francis Darcy, , wall-monument with kneeling figures of man in armour and wife, Corinthian columns, entablatures and achievement-of-arms; (2) to Richard Downton, 1672, and to Sir Richard Downton, 1711, who erected the monument in 1702, black marble slab, with shield-of-arms; on W. wall, (3) to Margaret (Culliford) wife of Henry Scardevile, Dean of Cloyne, 1698, white marble tablet with scrolls and foliage. In S. aisle—on S. wall of gallery, (4) of Richard Wiatt, 1619, wall-monument with kneeling figures of man and wife at prayer-desk set in recess with Corinthian side-columns, cornice and three shields-of-arms; (5) to Sir Theodore de Vaux, F.R.S. and physician to Charles II, 1694 and to Judith his second wife, draped tablet with cherub-heads and cartouche-of-arms; (6) to John Land, 1697, draped tablet with cherub-heads, broken pediment and cartouche-of-arms; on sill of first lower window, (7) effigies of a boy, a girl and an infant, remains of a monument to [Elizabeth, 1612, Henry, 1611 and another child of Sir Thomas Savage, later Earl of Rivers], shield-of-arms probably from same monument on W. wall of N. aisle; (8) to John Bedingfield, 1692, and Martha (Williamson) his wife, 1698, widow of John Porter, erected by Penelope Atterbury, white marble tablet with three shields-of-arms; (9) to Grace (Hewes), wife of Sir John Danvers, 1678, white marble tablet with scrolls; (10) to Elizabeth (Berblock), wife of George Pigot M.D., 1706–7, slate tablet; (11) to Joseph Taylor, 1714, oval white marble tablet with achievement-of-arms; (12) to Edward Baron, 1640, Catherine his wife, 1643 and William Daw and Barbara (Baron), his wife, 1674, tablet erected 1721; (13) to Simon Basill, the king's clerk-of-works, 1663, slate slab. In W. tower—on S. wall, (14) to Sir Orlando Gee, 1705, draped pedestal and bust of man in relief (Plate 145), flanked by Corinthian columns supporting entablatures and three shields-of-arms. In churchyard—on N. wall of tower, (15) to William Ivory, 1708–9 and Johanna Phillips, 1710, and others later, slab; (16) to Barbara, wife of Henry Jordan, 1704 and her daughters Mary and Barbara, round-headed slab; S. of S.E. doorway, (17) to Frances, wife of John Burrt, 1692, table-tomb; (18) to Ann Burt, 1706, and others later, headstone; N.E. of N. aisle, (19) to Richard Rice, 1680 and John Rice, 16.., slab. Scratchings: On brick quoin of N.W. angle of nave, "John Clements 1706"; on brickwork W. of S. doorway initials and the date 1706. Miscellanea: On window-sill in S. aisle, 15th-century roof-corbel with angel holding shield charged with a cross.
(2) Homestead Moat, S.W. of Wyke Farm nearly 1½ m. N.N.W. of the church.
(3) Homestead Moat, 350 yards N.E. of (2), is of oval form and is now cut through by the railway.
(4) Homestead Moat, on the N. side of the road 1 m. W.S.W. of the church, has been almost entirely filled in.
(5) Syon House, and outbuildings 800 yards N.E. of the church. The House is of three storeys, the walls are of brick with some ashlar facings and dressings and the roofs are lead-covered. An abbey of Bridgettine Nuns was founded by Henry V at Twickenham in 1415; it was moved to the present site in 1431 and dissolved in 1539. The existing courtyard no doubt represents the nuns' cloister of the abbey and part of the 15th-century undercroft of the W. range is incorporated in the W. range of the house; how much more, if any, of the mediæval building survives it is now impossible to determine. After the dissolution the abbey was granted in succession to Protector Somerset and John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland; the nunnery was refounded for a short time under Queen Mary and eventually passed to Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland, in 1604. Somerset appears to have reconstructed the house substantially in its present general form with turrets at the angles. Henry, Earl of Northumberland spent £9,000 on the property and his successor Algernon restored the building in 1659, the date formerly on the rain-water heads; probably at this period or rather earlier the loggia was inserted in the E. front. The principal rooms on the first floor were reconstructed by Robert Adam in 1760–5, for the first Duke of Northumberland. Under the third duke, c. 1819–26, the building was almost entirely recased and substantially altered and the W. porch was added. The N. wing also is modern.
The house has interesting remains of a 15th-century undercroft.
The angle-turrets, with the exception of that on the N.W., are all substantially of 16th-century brick and retain doorways with four-centred heads; the turrets have been refaced externally. The exterior of the house generally has no ancient features except the 17th-century loggia on the E. front. This is of eleven bays, the middle bay projecting from the general wall-face; each bay has a round-headed arch, springing from rectangular piers with moulded cornices and plinths; the side and front faces are panelled; the arches have coffered soffits, moulded architraves, keystones and round panels in the spandrels. Two doorways on the S. front have moulded surrounds perhaps of early 18th-century date. The W. range incorporates two rooms forming part of the 15th-century vaulted undercroft (Plate 123) of the abbey; the rooms are of two and three bays respectively and have brick columns and vaulting; the columns are octagonal and the responds semi-octagonal and from them spring the chamfered vaulting-ribs; each bay has diagonal and ridge-ribs; in both the dividing wall and the W. wall is an original doorway with a four-centred head and there are two blocked windows in the W. wall. A room on the first floor contains thirteen enriched oak panels (Plate 123) of c. 1530, one with the initials H.P. and the Percy badges and motto; these must have been brought from elsewhere. There is also a large map of Isleworth hundred, dated 1635.
The Lodges to the W. of the house are of early 17th-century date and are shown on the map of 1635. They have been refaced but retain some original two-light windows. The N. lodge has some original doors and panelling. An Outbuilding, N. of the house, now the muniment-room, is an L-shaped building of 16th-century brick, but its other features are modern. To the N.W. of the house is a Stable of 16th-century origin, but much altered and re-built. A few yards to the N.W. is a long building, perhaps of mediæval origin and of stone much re-built in 16th-century brick; it retains a stone doorway with a four-centred head and two 16th-century windows. Running E. from the N.E. angle of this building is a rubble wall with a 16th-century brick capping; in it is a 16th-century archway with a round head and flanked by brick buttresses.
The following monuments, unless otherwise described, are of late 17th or early 18th-century date and of two storeys with attics or three storeys; the walls are of brick and the roofs are tile or slate-covered.
Condition—Good or fairly good, unless noted.
(6) Ferry House, 100 yards N.E. of the church, was perhaps built early in the 17th century but was almost entirely re-built early in the 18th century. Inside the building is some panelling and balusters of the latter date.
(7) Ingram Almshouses, range of one-storey tenements, 350 yards W.S.W. of the church. In the low central gable on the N. front is a panel with the inscription—"This almshouse was founded by the Right Hono. Sir Thomas Ingram Kn. Chancell. of the Duchy of Lancaster one of his Majesty's Hono. Privy Council 1664"; above it is a cartouche-of-arms and motto. The doorways retain their original frames.
(8) Silver Hall (Plate 34), on the N. side of North Street 100 yards W.S.W. of (7), has brick bands between the storeys and a modillioned cornice of wood.
(9) House, No. 18 at the S.E. corner of Lower Square 380 yards S.W. of the church, has brick bands between the storeys.
(10) House (Plate 27), Nos. 5–7 on the S. side of Swan Street 60 yards W. of (9), is of two storeys.
(11) House and shop, No. 2 on the W. side of Lower Square 25 yards N. of (10).
(12) House, Nos. 4 and 5, 10 yards N. of (11), was built in the 17th century and refronted c. 1700.
(13) House, Nos. 6 and 7, immediately N. of (12), was built early in the 17th century and refronted c. 1700.
(14) House, No. 11 on the E. side of North Street, 25 yards N. of Swan Street.
(15) House, with shops Nos. 17–19 on the S. side of South Street, 570 yards S.W. of the church.
(16) House with shop, Nos. 60–64 on the N. side of South Street, 120 yards W. of (15).
(17) House, with shop, No. 72, 20 yards W. of (16).
(18) House, on the S. side of South Street, 50 yards W. of (17).
(19) Range of four houses Nos. 116–122 on the E. side of Twickenham Road, 110 yards N. of Worton Road, has brick bands between the storeys and an eaves-cornice; the doorways have side-pilasters and flat hoods. The building retains its original staircases with turned balusters and close strings and in No. 116 is some original panelling.
(20) Holme Court, house 140 yards S. of (19), has bands between the storeys and a dentilled cornice. It retains some original panelling.
(21) Rose Cottages, on the N. side of Worton Road, 200 yards W. of Twickenham Road.
(22) Cottage, 20 yards W. of (21).
(23) House, on the E. side of Twickenham Road, 190 yards S. of the river Crane, has a modillioned eaves-cornice. The upper staircase is original and has turned balusters and close strings.
(24) Range (Plate 34) of houses Nos. 105–109 on the S. side of St. John's Road, 50 yards W. of Twickenham Road, is now part of the Isleworth Club.
(25) House with shops, No. 97 on the S. side of High Street Hounslow and close to the junction of Hanworth Road, is of two storeys.
(26) House with shop, Nos. 115–119, 60 yards W.S.W. of (25), has a modillioned eaves-cornice.