An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Northamptonshire, Volume 1, Archaeological Sites in North-East Northamptonshire. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(OS 1:10000 a SK 90 SE, b SP 99 NE, c TF 00 SW, d TL 09 NW)
The parish, covering some 520 hectares, lies on land rising steeply between 100 ft. and 300 ft. above OD from the R. Welland which forms its W. boundary. Apart from a small area of Boulder Clay on the S.E., the whole parish is on limestone.
Prehistoric and Roman
a(1) Enclosure (SK 985012; Fig. 13), close to the river, on the E. side of the Welland Valley, on limestone at 125 ft. above OD. Three sides of a rectangular enclosure, with a probable hut-circle in the S.E. corner, are visible on air photographs. (Air photographs in NMR)
a(2) Roman Settlement and Burial (?) (SK 988005), S. of the village on limestone at 200 ft. above OD. Sherds of pottery, later reconstructed into two complete 2nd-century pots, were found during drainage works in 1967 (BNFAS, 2 (1967), 9). Nearby, at SK 98911048, a scatter of stone with pottery and tiles has been found subsequently. Early in 1973 a skeleton was uncovered during building work a little to the N. at SK 98890053 (Stamford Mercury, 19 Jan. 1973).
Medieval and Later
a(3) Windmill mound (SK 99360129), on the crest of a hill, overlooking the R. Welland 230 ft. above OD. The Enclosure Map of 1775 (NRO) shows a windmill, apparently of post-mill type, at this point. Now only a slight mound, 12 m. in diam. and almost ploughed-out, remains.
(4) Cultivation remains. The common fields of the parish were finally enclosed by an Act of Parliament of 1774 (NRO, Map of 1775). Immediately before that date there were three common fields N., E. and S. of the village; the fields were then shown as containing a number of enclosed strips. Ridgeand-furrow within these common fields can be traced on air photographs and takes the form of interlocked and end-on furlongs usually C-curved. Similar ridge-and-furrow which lay within old enclosures in 1775 can also be traced.
A single block of reversed-S curved ridge-and-furrow is visible W. of Assart Farm, surrounded by woodland (SK 997000) in an area which was part of the farm in 1798 (map in NRO) and which probably came into being as the result of piecemeal medieval forest clearance. (VCH Northants., II (1906), 561–2; RAF VAP CPE/UK 1891, 4051–2; 1925, 2130–1, 4121–30; 2109, 4021–6)