An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Northamptonshire, Volume 1, Archaeological Sites in North-East Northamptonshire. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1975.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(OS 1:10000 a SP 99 SE, b TL 09 SW, c TL 08 NW)
The long, generally rectangular, parish (Fig. 11) now covering 590 hectares, and once part of Cotterstock, lies along the valley of Glapthorn Brook, here draining E. to the R. Nene which forms part of the E. boundary. The higher areas away from the brook are covered by Boulder or Jurassic Clays, while along the valley-sides limestones, sands, and marls outcrop.
Prehistoric or Roman
b(1) Enclosure (TL 01949061), immediately N. of the village, on limestone at 130 ft. above OD. It is only visible on air photographs as a rectangular ditched feature, orientated N.-S., 30 m. by 15 m., overlain by later ridge-and-furrow. No entrance or interior features are visible. (RAF VAP CPE/UK 2109, 4373–4)
For the Roman Villa sited at TL 03349053 by OS, see Cotterstock (2).
Medieval and Later
b(2) Settlement remains (TL 02129061–02269061), formerly part of Glapthorn village, N. of Manor Farm. They consist of indeterminate earthworks resulting from houses which were still in existence in 1814 (map in NRO). S.W. of Manor Farm (TL 02099051) are further earthworks although this site was already devoid of buildings in 1635 (map in NRO).
b(3) Hollow-way (TL 010912–014911), along the S.W. edge of Short Wood, immediately inside the parish boundary with Southwick. In its central section it is up to 2 m. deep. It was certainly out of use by 1814 (NRO, Enclosure Map of Cotterstock).
For Cultivation Remains, see Cotterstock (3).