An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Northamptonshire, Volume 3, Archaeological Sites in North-West Northamptonshire. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1981.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
33 HADDON, EAST
The parish, covering just over 1080 hectares, lies between two E.-flowing streams between 180 m. and 90 m. above OD. Most of the lower ground is on Upper Lias Clay but the main E.–W. ridge across the centre of the parish is Northampton Sand overlaid by patches of Boulder Clay and glacial sands and gravels.
b(1) Barrow (?) (SP 655687), W. of Covert Farm on Northampton Sand at 160 m. above OD. There is a 19th-century reference to a tumulus but no mound can be traced in the vicinity (Archaeologia, 35 (1853), Pl. 16; OS Record Cards).
Medieval and Later
b(2) Manor house site and fishponds (?) (SP 668678), lies S. of the village, immediately E. of Church Lane, on clay sloping S. between 145 m. and 152 m. above OD. The remains fall into two parts. In the N., behind Clifden Cottages (SP 668679), there is a raised platform 40 m. square, bounded by a scarp up to 1.5 m. high and with a broad ditch or narrow pond on its E. side. In the valley bottom below (SP668677) are two small ponds, each with a low dam 1.5 m. high, set inside and on the E. of a rectangular enclosure bounded by a low bank and ditch. Nothing is known of the history of the site and on the earliest large-scale plan of the village (NRO, 1859) no buildings are shown (RAF VAP CPE/UK/1994, 3263–5).
(3) Cultivation remains. The common fields of the parish were finally enclosed by an Act of Parliament of 1773 though apparently no map survives. A detailed survey, made in 1598, showing the common fields as they then existed, reveals a very complex picture (NRO). The N. part of the parish was called North Field, and was sub-divided into West, Middle and East Fields; the S. of the parish was South Field, sub-divided into South, Middle and East Fields. There was also a South Field Heath. In 1629 a lease (NRO) referred to a recent enclosure of the South Field by agreement between the three lords of the manor and one freeholder. This event can be dated to between 1598 and 1607. When the North Field was finally enclosed in 1773 it had by this date been renamed as Upper Middle and Holdenby Fields.
Ridge-and-furrow of these common fields exists on the ground or can be traced on air photographs over large parts of the parish, arranged in end-on and interlocked furlongs, many of reversed-S form. Ridge-and-furrow is particularly well preserved in the park of East Haddon Hall, N. of the village (SP 669685), and W. of the village, along the N. side of the road to Long Buckby (SP 660682). In the N. of the parish, near Washbrook Bridge (SP 668690), three interlocked furlongs preserved in pasture show extremely well the careful adaptation of the layout to the natural topography (RAF VAP CPE/UK/1994, 1366–8, 2361–6, 4260–4, 4266–9).