Ancient and Historical Monuments in the City of Salisbury. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(378) Cottages, range of three, Nos. 81–5 Winchester Street, are of two storeys with attics and have walls mainly of brick, but encasing some timber framework. They appear to be of 16th-century origin, but were remodelled late in the 18th century. Inside, the first floor of No. 81 rests on a chamfered beam and some 17th-century joinery survives. No. 83 has an original post at the N.W. corner. No. 85 has a stout oak wall-plate.
(379) Houses, terrace of five, Nos. 4–8 Greencroft, are of three storeys with brick walls and slate-covered roofs and were built during the second quarter of the 19th century. In the E. front each house has one window in each storey and a doorway at ground level. The first-floor windows have large french casements, but without balconies.
(380) Houses, terrace of four, Nos. 14–17 Greencroft, are of two storeys with brick walls and slate-covered roofs and were built c. 1850. In the E. front, the lower storeys of Nos. 15 and 16 are recessed and the upper storey rests on a beam supported by iron posts.