Ancient and Historical Monuments in the City of Salisbury. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(64) Shoulder of Mutton Inn, demolished in 1962, was two-storeyed with brick walls and tiled roofs and appeared to be of late 18th or early 19th-century origin. A plan of 1849 by Peniston is in W.R.O. (451/187).
(65) House, now a shop, is two-storeyed with brick walls and a tiled roof and dates from the middle of the 18th century. The S. front was formerly symmetrical and of five bays with a central doorway and sashed windows, but the openings of the lower storey have been replaced by shop-windows. The plan, formerly of class T, has been obliterated.
(66) Town Mill, of three storeys with lofts and having brick walls and tiled roofs, probably occupies the site of a mill built by Bishop Richard Poore in the 13th century (V.C.H., Wilts. vi, 90). The present mill dates from 1757. Extensions with walls of flint and ashlar and with mullioned and transomed stone windows were added in 1898. The 18th-century building, oblong on plan and plain in elevation, spans a branch of the R. Avon; its S.W. corner rests on an ashlar substructure with a wide chamfered plinth, possibly mediaeval. The date 1756 is carved on the keystone of a relieving arch in the N. wall. The five-bay roof has tie-beam trusses with lower angle struts.
(67) Houses, three adjoining, Nos. 12–14 Bridge Street, of three storeys with brick walls and slated roofs, appear to be of the first half of the 19th century. A plan of 1849 by Peniston (W.R.O., 451/187) designates the two western houses 'London Inn', as also do Kingdon & Shearm.