Ancient and Historical Monuments in the City of Salisbury. Originally published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1977.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved.
(227) Star Inn, at the S.W. corner of the chequer, is two-storeyed with rendered and tile-hung walls and with tiled roofs. Of mid 16th-century origin, but extensively rebuilt in recent years, it replaces the 14th-century Rydedore (Raie d'or) inn. The earliest deed, 1331, indicates that the tenement of Clement atte Rydedore extended from the street corner to the town ditch (here spanned by Blakebrigge). In 1390 the corner tenement was bought for 60 marks by John Chaundiler, sen.; it probably passed from him to Trinity Hospital. (fn. 1) Part of the roof has collared tie-beam trusses with clasped purlins. Plans of c. 1850 are preserved. (fn. 2)
(228) House, No. 65 Brown Street, is two-storeyed with attics and has brick walls and tiled roofs; it dates from c. 1700. The close-string dog-leg staircase has stout moulded oak handrails, fretted and shaped splats and beaded newel posts.
(229) Cottage, No. 49 Brown Street, demolished in 1972, was a 16th-century building of two storeys with slate-hung timber-framed walls and a tiled roof. The through-passage on the N. retained its original W. door. Inside, some chamfered beams and jowl-headed posts were seen. The back wing was of the 19th century.
(230) Houses, pair, Nos. 39 and 37 Brown Street, demolished in 1965, were two-storeyed with attics and had brick walls and tiled roofs. The main range was of the mid 18th century (Plate 73); the service wing on the E. of the S. house was of 16th-century origin. The W. front was originally symmetrical, but during the 19th century a ground-floor window in No. 37 was suppressed and the doorway was moved northwards to make way for the entrance to a through-passage formed between the two houses.
Inside, the W. rooms in both storeys of No.39 retained 18th-century panelling in two heights, with moulded skirtings, dados and cornices. An 18th-century staircase with close strings and turned balusters in No. 37 may have been moved when the through-passage was formed. The E. wing of No. 39 had timber-framed walls. The first floor was originally jettied on the north, but the jetty had been under-built.
(231) House, No. 20 Milford Street, of two storeys and an attic, has rendered walls and a tiled roof and is of the 18th century although much altered in recent times. The building occupies part of 'the angle tenement opposite the Bolehall', the rent of which (30s. p.a.) was given to the city in 1370 by Wm. Wichford. (fn. 3) The tenement appears in the earliest survey of city lands (1618), but was sold during the Commonwealth. (fn. 4)
(232) Houses, Nos. 24, 26 and 30 Milford Street, are of three and two storeys with brick walls and slated roofs. No. 24 was formerly the Goat Inn and is mentioned in a document of 1618; (fn. 5) it still bore the name in 1880 (O.S.). Building work in 1976 revealed that the three-storeyed N. range of No. 24, parallel with the street, had been rebuilt c. 1820, probably after a fire (charred timbers). The previous N. range had been two-storeyed and probably of the 16th century; a collared tie-beam truss with clasped purlins remained in the E. party wall together with the independant roof truss of No. 26. On the ground floor, to E., the N. range of No. 24 had a narrow carriage through-way leading to a small yard. On the W. of the yard the first three bays of the S. range of No. 24 retained timber framework, perhaps of c. 1500; the range was originally two-storeyed, with the first floor jettied to E. Early in the 18th century the jetty was under-built and the S. bay of the range was added. The two middle bays of the range probably became a dining room; the S. fireplace in this room had an eared timber surround, an enriched frieze and a moulded cornice. In c. 1820 the upper storey of the S. range was rebuilt and a third storey was added.
(233) Inn, No. 32 Milford Street, of two storeys with brick walls and tiled roofs, dates from late in the 15th century. The walls were originally timber-framed and a few timbers remain in the upper storey. The roof has three original collared tie-beam trusses with curved braces and king-struts.
The Town Ditch, coming from the W. along Milford Street (map, p. xxxv), turned at this point to flow S. through the middle of the chequer and passed beneath the house. In 1416 the reversion of the property was left to the mayor and commonalty by John Beckot, to keep his obit, whence Beckot's name appears in the bede roll of St. George's Guild. (fn. 6) In 1431, when the city acquired the property by royal licence, it was occupied by Walter Short and was described as the tenement 'where the water of the common ditch runs under the chamber'. (fn. 7) In the chamberlain's accounts (1475–85) the lessee was John Wyse, vintner. (fn. 8) The next house to E., also Beckot's, was described in 1418 as a tenement with a small garden and within the tenement, a building with a solar next to the watercourse; (fn. 9) both houses evidently made use of the Town Ditch, a major amenity. Both tenements had belonged to Gilbert de Wychebury in 1357 and to his son Nicholas in 1361. Nicholas Wychebury 'dictus Bakere' died in 1391 leaving the properties (one of which he inhabited) to his son John Bakere, grocer, otherwise known as John Salisbury. John Salisbury's contribution to the Taxation List of 1399–1400, the largest of any citizen's, indicates his great wealth. He was mayor five times and died in 1405. (fn. 10)
(234) House, No. 34 Milford Street, with brick walls with ashlar dressings and with tiled roofs, appears to be the surviving part of a larger building. The elevations are of the 18th century, but 17th-century plasterwork inside appears to be in situ.
The N. front, with stone quoins, a moulded cornice and stringcourses between the storeys, is in two parts: on the E., two bays with plain sashed windows in the upper storeys have a modern shop-front below; on the W., a single bay slightly set back has a sashed window in each storey. Evidently the facade has been truncated; if symmetrical it would have had seven bays, i.e., a recessed central range of three bays flanked by two-bay projections. The E. elevation has a pedimented doorway flanked by Tuscan columns and sashed windows in three storeys. Inside, the N.E. ground-floor room has 17th-century oak panelling and a ribbed plaster ceiling (Plate 93) of four panels defined by intersecting beams. Other ground-floor rooms have 18th-century fittings.
In 1366 Wm. Teynturer junior acquired this corner tenement, then called Stratfordescorner, from Edward Glastyngbury. (fn. 11) From 1397 to 1410 it was occupied by William Hull and in 1416 it was called 'Glastyngburiecorner sive Stratfordescorner'. (fn. 12) Teynturer in 1366 already owned the land adjacent on the W.; it was acquired by the city in 1413 under royal licence and appears in the earliest city rental (1412–3) as 'the tenement near the angle tenement formerly of Wm. Hull in Wynchestrestret - rent 20s. p.a.'. (fn. 13) In the chamberlain's account rolls (1475–85) it is called 'le bakehouse formerly held by William Martyn, baker, for 20s. p.a., now leased to John Wyse, vintner'. (fn. 14) It does not, however, occur in the 17th and 18th-century surveys of city lands. The Methodist Chapel shown on O.S., 1880 occupies parts of both tenements acquired by William Teynturer in the 14th century. The still recognisable westward projection of the 'bakehous' tenement to the Town Ditch is, no doubt, an original feature.
(235) Anchor Inn, of two storeys with walls originally of timber framework, but largely rebuilt in brickwork, and with a tiled roof, is of 16th-century origin. Inside, a first-floor room has an 18th-century fireplace surround.
(236) Cottages, three adjacent, Nos. 13–17 Trinity Street, are two-storeyed with attics and have timber-framed walls faced with brickwork, and tiled roofs. Of early 17th-century origin, they were altered in the 19th century when the roofs were rebuilt at a higher level. Inside, a jowl-headed post and an original cambered tie-beam are built into the partition between No. 13 and No. 15.
Six shops on the W. of 'the ditch of the house of Holy Trinity' were given to Trinity Hospital by John Chaundeler in 1400. In 1638 a tenement in this position was leased to John Trewman, tailor. (fn. 15)
Plate 14 includes a copy of an early photograph in Salisbury Museum showing the destruction in 1878 of a 15th-century hall with an elaborately decorated false hammerbeam collar-truss roof. The building stood immediately E. of (27) Trinity Hospital, on ground now occupied by Nos. 19–21 Trinity Street. In 1384 a house adjoining the hospital on the E. had been owned by Thomas and Alice le Eyr; they agreed never to obstruct the E. window of the hospital chapel. In 1452 and 1473 the 'capital tenement' next to the hospital belonged to William Pynkebrygge. In 1767 it appears to have been Sir John Webb's. (fn. 16)